Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 863768 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Seating algorithms]
« Reply #420 on: August 20, 2013, 12:41:33 pm »

It's a common Western name, which makes it relatively culture-neutral.

Isn't that the antithesis of culture-neutral, or did I miss the point at which the US/Commonwealth annexed the world?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:03 pm »

The class name is going to be part of or derived from the English language anyway. I don't see the problem with it being derived from an English language name. Plus Bruce Lee was of Chinese ancestry (even if his name Bruce certainly wasn't).

Though it's obviously Furtuka's judgement. His prompt is probably intentionally vague. At least Brucer sounds a bit more classy than a half dozen suggestions purely involving fistfighting words.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 20, 2013, 02:15:42 pm »

Is there a away to stop receiving notifications for threads I no longer have interest in? There's a few threads in other games about games that stopped interesting me.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 20, 2013, 02:33:40 pm »

Same button  you click to receive them to begin with - the notification button should become "unnotify" if you are already watching the thread.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:17 pm »

Alternatively, go to profile -> modify profile -> notifications. There'll be a list of notificationified threads, with the option to unnotify.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 30, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »

Why do we appreciate animals that can eat us?*

*why have other primates adopted cats?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 30, 2013, 04:11:41 pm »

Purring is good for your heart.

Also they eats things that annoy us.

And... can doesn't really mean can. We're flat out and away this planet's apex predator and we know it. So does most animals that live around us for very long. Dominating/domesticating lesser predators is amusing to us. Probably some kind of latent dominance/superiority thing, really, above and beyond the whole is!useful cases. Also an aesthetic appreciation for deadly things we (ostensibly) control is pretty common. Think there's some kind of chemical trigger going on with that, but if I knew specifics it was years back and I've already forgotten. Also a lot of them just have a really nice texture to them when they're not trying to kill you. Snakes are pretty neat to pet, ferex. Same with alligators. Just as examples.

Other primates, well. Small furry things short circuit the whole is!baby flag, leading to etc., mostly. Least as I understand it. Roughly the same deal for non-primates, in the occasions cross species adoption-type stuff occurs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:14:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:26 pm »

Wire's crossed, yeah, but latent superiority complex smells like BS.
Reading a thinner book

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 30, 2013, 04:20:20 pm »

Not superiority complex. Dominance games of varying sorts are pretty normal to our species. Most primates. Most social animals in general, really. It's pretty unsurprising when something extends that outside the species barrier.
Ask not!
Ask!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 30, 2013, 04:58:27 pm »

Not superiority complex. Dominance games of varying sorts are pretty normal to our species. Most primates. Most social animals in general, really. It's pretty unsurprising when something extends that outside the species barrier.

Eh. I'll take that so far, but i'd like sources and alternatives.
Reading a thinner book

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 13, 2013, 10:15:15 am »

Possibly. Depends on how the new sex determination works out, I'd imagine. It's a ways off (massive understatement), regardless, but in the mean time it does kinda' mean males are going to be increasingly (if incredibly gradually so) prone to gene-related issues. Which they already are. The deterioration of the Y chromosome is flat fact, but what that entails for what's called male traits is up in the air, apparently. There's just nothing necessarily linking said traits in the Y chromosome. S'far as I can parse, anyway.
Ask not!
Ask!

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2013, 07:02:20 pm »

How does one cite a technical manual in MLA - the Arm Architecture Reference Manual, in this case.  Would it fall under Technical Report, Book, or something else?
(It is almost 1200 pages, that's why it might be under Book.)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 16, 2013, 10:03:55 pm »

Depends on just how accurate you have to be. If this is some kind of high school assignment you could probably get away with either Technical Report or Book; if it's college,...I'd still think you could get away with either, but take that advice with a grain of salt. For all I know your teacher/professor could be a hardcore OCD stickler for accurate citations of sources.

In my experience citing sources in a bibliography was only good for proving you weren't trying to fudge the assignment with made up stuff.  As long as the actual reference is a real thing that the teacher could prove is a real thing I'd assume you'd be fine.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 28, 2013, 09:10:59 am »

Do any medical students or practitioners have a good explanation for why human dissection and vivisection was stigmatized for so long? I know our historical knowledge here is not complete, but one would think in any era they yielded obvious advantages, to the point where religious concerns would and have taken a backseat.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 647