Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 880804 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3540 on: March 25, 2017, 06:26:18 am »

Also adding salt does not make the water boil faster. That is an old wives tale.
Technically adding salt does make water boil faster, since it lowers the boiling point. It's just that:
1) You're noodles won't cook faster because the boiling point is a lower temperature.
2) The amount of salt needed to make an appreciable difference would make everything really, really salty. :P

So not so much of a straight out lie, as just an extreme exaggeration.
Isnt it the other way around? IIRC Salt in water raises the boiling point
Right, it does. At dT = K*C, where K is the ebulioscopic constant of water (0.52), and C is the molality (moles/1000g of solvent) of solvate (I hope that's the right word; in this case, it's salt).
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3541 on: March 25, 2017, 07:14:56 am »

Solute, rather.

Technically adding salt to water might make things cook faster, yeah, but i2 is still right for the second reason. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: March 31, 2017, 07:50:46 am »

How normal is it to not get a lot of oxygen through your nose?

It is why I mouth breathe a LOT of the time.

Though I also have Asthma.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: March 31, 2017, 08:05:58 am »

A deviated septum is a fairly common nasal disorder.
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/deviated-septum#1

Most severe cases will come from prior nasal injury (like a broken nose), but congenital defects are not uncommon in the subtle bone structure of the nasal passage and sinus, which can cause reduced ability to breathe through the nose.

It can be corrected with surgery.  If you have asthma, that might not be the problem though. Sinusitis might be more likely.
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinusitis-and-sinus-infection

Sinusitis is literally the inflammation of the sinus. Much like asthma is an inflammation of the bronchial network, for non-allergy reasons, similar mechanisms may be at work inside the sinus, causing inflammation when there is no good reason for it, and resulting in reduced nasal airflow.  Consider trying a low dose nsaid, and see if your nasal breathing improves.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: March 31, 2017, 06:08:35 pm »

To prevent boiling over, place a wooden spoon over the pot.
How does that work?
It pretty much just works by popping the bubbles when they reach the spoon placed horizontally over the pot, and the chain reaction pops most of the other bubbles.

Hypothetically adding some oil to the water should also stop this problem because it messes with the surface tension of the water, (and thus stops the buildup of foamy-starch bubbles that cause it to boil over) but this has the drawback in that on removal your pasta gets somewhat coated in oil, which can mess up the ability of different sauces to properly adhere to the pasta afterwards and ruin your dish. (Bonus note: adding a small amount of the pasta water at the end to your sauce can improve the ability of the sauce to stick to the pasta due to the addition of the starches in the water).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: April 03, 2017, 11:55:41 pm »

Was there ever an explanation for why Nephilim (The children of angels and humans) are so messed up? Or why they are giants?

Or is it that it is so forbidden that the forbiddenness makes their children extra forbidden forbiddeny?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: April 03, 2017, 11:58:51 pm »

I'm amused by considering this, because it reminds me how utterly ancient the concept of the half-human is, and how it survived all the way up until today to be inserted in fantasy roleplaying games.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: April 04, 2017, 01:20:28 am »

You can read a good deal about the nephilim and their fallen angel parents from the apocrypha.  Specifically, I Enoch.

Basically, the angels that did the nasty with humans, were assigned the task of watching and reporting on said humans. They were given the title of "watcher".  The descriptions of the watchers are not terribly pretty, much like other "inner circle" angelic beings. Things like flaming wings, many animal like heads, et al.

These watchers decided that human women were damn sexy, and basically got horny, even though they did not have the parts to do the needful. Because they did not have said parts, they conspired together to change themselves, and made a solemn oath pact that if any one would do this, they all would do it-- and then having sworn that oath, they did.  They changed their bodies from perfect divine beings into semi-corporeal ones, so that they could physically interact (ahem) with said women, and being angelic beings that had intimate knowledge of heaven, they shared that knowledge with their new wives and the children they produced. (sorceries)

Needless to say, this was outside the bounds that the divine creator had established, either for celestial beings, who did not need to procreate because they do not experience death-- and for mortal beings, who are not supposed to have powers or abilities that intersect with the divine. Due to this "out of scope" problem, the nephilim had corporeal needs that were not easily met (they needed lots of food), and resorted to cannibalism of ordinary humans after all the local sources of food were depleted.  It was when humans started crying out about this cannibalism that the divine creator put his foot down, and did the great flood.

Let me see if I can find I Enoch for you.  (II Enoch is filled with very dubious astronomical observations, and is not useful for this discussion.)

https://www.ccel.org/c/charles/otpseudepig/enoch/ENOCH_1.HTM

There we go.

If you are just interested in half-humans though, sumerian/assyrian mythology is far older than biblical, and prominently featured such beings. The epic of Gilgamesh is about this very thing, as the king of Uruk, the eponymous Gilgamesh, is such a being. (his mother was a goddess)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh

http://www.ancient.eu/gilgamesh/

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 01:40:26 am by wierd »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: April 04, 2017, 03:52:13 am »

So it's not alright for the angels to do it, but when the Heavenly Father himself decides to knock up one of his human daughters it's okay? :P

Edit: Hmmm, actually, it's interesting to consider if perhaps Jesus was a Nephilim. For one, in the normal account he has divine ancestry. Secondly, it's possible to reinterpret the story to have Gabriel in a much more....prominent position.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:55:12 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: April 04, 2017, 04:13:39 am »

I typically exclude demigods from the Half-human pool. If only because they are just humans imbued with powers (usually because the gods are empowered humans).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: April 04, 2017, 05:22:22 am »

Assyrian mythos is full of very curious creatures that are half-humans though, like the secondary protagonist, Enkidu, in the afore mentioned epic. Created specifically to be a man-beast, he was imbued with special abilities himself so that he could be a bullwark against Gilgamesh and his roughshod antics. (It didn't work.)

Also, much of the imagery from biblical angelic beings have parallels in  Assyrian and other Mesopotamian mythos. Their divine beings were quite freakish in their depictions.

This aint no "greek and roman thicc booty time" action there, where all the gods are studly, all the goddesses hawt, and all the action kinky.  No sir. The assyrians involve genocide because the gods cant stand the sound of crying babies, gods that are literal fish-headed monsters, & etc.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: April 04, 2017, 05:26:19 am »

It didn't work? You don't say. Becoming besties didn't help matters.

Though, he did have some success with the whole marriage issue by getting ol' Gilgy out of the city.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: April 04, 2017, 05:51:06 am »

Hey, If it werent for Gilgamesh, Enkidu would never have met that temple prostitute to begin with!  Hell, he hooked them up for goodness sake! :P

It was all part of Gil's plan to get past him and continue his roughshod antics across the world killing lesser deities, defacing monuments, and chopping down ancient forests!  Enkidu just found those antics more entertaining than cavorting with wild animals, and the prostitute more pleasurable. :P

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: April 04, 2017, 09:57:05 am »

Is good pathfinding a mythical beast? I mean, enemies have okay-to-good pathfinding in strategy games, but when it comes to player's army, pathfinding is always BAD. For example, I play Rome: Total War and cavalry have suicidal tendencies to charge in spearmen regiment (no reasons or sense, really), despite that I order the attack at skirmishers/light infantry/cavalry.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: April 04, 2017, 10:20:58 am »

That could be a feature. I've heard that at least in one of those Total War games, cavalry had a special trait to attack other people on their own "to achieve higher glory".

But essentially, if your units had the good pathfinding - actually good one - the only thing you'd have to do is attack-move all your units somewhere within the vicinity of the enemy. And then the players would be bored and have nothing to do.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 648