Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 648

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 879926 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3495 on: March 08, 2017, 08:57:15 am »

He, never really stumbled on those, I'll see if I find something. Any link appreciated.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: March 08, 2017, 09:04:41 am »

Sure. Is .pdf, first hit on Google for query "unreported crimes" sans quotes. Looks like a U.S. based thing from some years back, but it's just one example among very many. Like said, the stuff's basically ubiquitous, which is understandable considering any report on criminal activity that wasn't considering and/or accounting for it would be blatantly misrepresentative of the situation it was reporting on.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:06:57 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: March 09, 2017, 12:29:49 am »

Wait... What!?!

According to... etymology...

Ninja... the literal definition of it is Spy.

As in... Ninjas aren't strictly assassins, in fact that isn't their primary job.

huh...

Anyhow are Ninjas Real?

Not the fictional version of course (Obviously they didn't wear black garb...)... but like... organizations of spies or assassins?

---

Mind you Ninjas outside of Japan such as China and Korea/Joseon DEFINATELY existed... But they were more akin to secret police.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:35:24 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: March 09, 2017, 12:37:15 am »

... yes? Pretty sure it's yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: March 09, 2017, 12:56:34 am »

Pretty sure Ninjas were real, but not some singular secret organization or something. Just a particular word for spy, I guess?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: March 09, 2017, 05:16:28 am »

According to... etymology...

Ninja... the literal definition of it is Spy.

As in... Ninjas aren't strictly assassins, in fact that isn't their primary job.

Anyhow are Ninjas Real?

Not the fictional version of course (Obviously they didn't wear black garb...)... but like... organizations of spies or assassins?
Spy is misleading too, it implies a hard focus on intelligence-gathering; I'd say the best translation of the phrase given the individual characters' translations I found is 'covert agent'.

Which is a bit unwieldy, but precise. A covert agent is someone who a) acts on behalf of someone else, b) without announcing to everyone and their dog that whatever they do is on behalf of someone else.

So, a ninja is some guy you hire as, essentially, a private criminal. What they do depends on what you're hiring guys for - could be assassination, could be snooping around, sabotage, theft, whatever.

As such, there usually isn't an organization in the traditional sense, as in you go to a big building with Ninjas-R-Us, say hello to the receptionist, and say you would like one medium-sized ninja please. It's more along the lines of how The Constant Gardener put it, paraphrasing: 'You call your Chief of Security, he calls one of his old friends, he calls some people, they call people...' and then the next thing you know some asshat is stabbing your lower intestine.

You could train some operatives in-house - that obviously requires resources, and potentially can be traced back to you easier, but you have them on retainer, and you get this CIA-esque structure - but you probably don't want to share that.

On the other hand, apparently Japan DID develop more formally organized groups as the stronger mercenary groups established monopolies and some lineages of sneaky villagers up in the mountains developed traditions of training more sneaky villagers who sneak gud, but it was never a centralized political entity.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: March 09, 2017, 07:44:29 pm »

Is there a phrase similar to "rose tinted glasses" but the opposite meaning? Taking a bad event far in your personal past and over time slowly escalating it until it seems to be the worst thing that ever happened, when really it wasn't.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: March 09, 2017, 07:57:22 pm »

Is there a phrase similar to "rose tinted glasses" but the opposite meaning? Taking a bad event far in your personal past and over time slowly escalating it until it seems to be the worst thing that ever happened, when really it wasn't.

Checking... There really isn't any.

Some of it is because not only is it uncommon (Human instinct is TYPICALLY to emphasize the problems of today and de-emphasise that of the past... even a troubling past).

But also because the reverse of the term "Dark colored classes" and "Tinted glasses"... Do not work as they have more of a connotation of not being able to see.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: March 09, 2017, 09:27:09 pm »

Maybe blue-tinted?  But not commonly.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: March 09, 2017, 09:30:48 pm »

Jade-tinted glasses, from "jaded".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: March 12, 2017, 01:21:19 am »

"In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

Originally my question was "Are the shadows being false, or are they laying across the land?"
Or is it an intentional pun, ignoring the language issues with that (if any).

I've been wondering that for a long time.  But just now, I noticed that "Shadows" is capitalized...  Implying they might be entities of the undead variety?!
What did he mean by this?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: March 12, 2017, 12:35:03 pm »

"The Shadow" is a reference to Sauron. He is a kind of undead, in that he's immortal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: March 13, 2017, 10:05:13 pm »

Ok... This is a question that I feel stupid asking... but in Hairsprey they are talking business and I don't understand what they mean.

"I want a non-exclusive contract
Extensions by mutual options
and I want you to absorb my 15% commission"

Here is my BEST guess as to what they mean

-1) a non-exclusive contract means she is free to sign another contract (well of this type) without permission of the person she is signing with. (of which the answer is typically no).
-2) Contract must be renegotiated when extended?
-3) The person she is signing with is agreeing to pay an extra 15% commission that goes straight to the manager

O-o?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 14, 2017, 12:26:30 pm »

So Firefox added that "switch to tab" feature a few years back.  If you type in the location bar and choose a URL, but that URL is already open in some other tab, then it switches you to that tab instead of navigating in the current tab.

Somehow, this is *finally* getting on my nerves.  But not in the normal way.  I do want it to switch tabs, I'd just like it to close the current tab - after all, I am trying to "navigate away".

Currently I do this by ctrl-w, ctrl-t, ctrl-l, type.  The ctrl-t (open new tab) isn't necessary but it just feels wrong to type in the location bar, press enter, and expect that page to stay open.  The new empty tab is closed (a weird special case, and the behavior I want from other tabs).

I suppose I can just get used to it, but I'm wondering if there's an option.  In a nutshell:  Close old tab when switching tab via location bar.
Trying to Google the problem mostly got me information on disabling switch-to-tab altogether, which I don't want.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3509 on: March 17, 2017, 04:57:50 pm »

Recommend me a book that is really exciting to read all the way through?
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 648