Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 860936 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1545 on: September 03, 2015, 04:14:26 am »

Link?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1546 on: September 03, 2015, 12:46:42 pm »

Is it possible to define a set that doesn't include the empty set? I see the phrase "the empty set is a subset of every set" thrown around quite often, usually with some form of proof accompanying it. However that seems to fly in the face of examples like:

A = {B | B != {}} or A \ {{}} (I apologize if I've tripped over any notation here, but I think you get my point)

Is this just a case of lies to children[/tvtropes] on a large scale? Or is there just some weird contradiction that we've codified into the base of our mathematics as often happens with things involving "nothing" or "everything" or "infinite"?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 03, 2015, 01:09:32 pm »

What advantage is there to having organelles be membrane bound as opposed to just having them free-floating within the cell?
I know the answer to this one. :P

Basically a lot of the operations that organelles carry out require specific combinations of chemical reactions, often with further environmental limits to drive those. If they didn't have membranes then you run into problems with the chemicals from one organelle interfering with the other, either through the chemicals it is producing or through its conflicting environmental limitations. For example some of the reactions in organelles are driven by specific pH values. If none of the organelles had membranes, than those same pH's would definitely be interfering with things like DNA.

Additionally some organelles need those membranes to work as "targeting" mechanisms as well. For example without a membrane lysosomes would just be free floating clumps of hydrolase, wrecking whatever they happened to break into instead of only destroying specific things.

Lastly there are a handful of organelles that have held onto their membranes more because they were originally separate cells (and thus had their own outer membrane) and have simply become internalized over evolution, such as mitochondria.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 03, 2015, 01:11:56 pm »

Yeah, and then sometime the membrane is needed for chemical reaction, the way the mitochondria needs a proton gradient at the membrane to drive the synthesis of ATP.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 03, 2015, 05:11:32 pm »

Every headset I get explodes into parts like a grenade swallower in a terrible accident, so I probably can't help you there.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: September 03, 2015, 07:23:42 pm »

Honestly I'd suggest going with a Turtle Beach headset (not all of their models are several hundred dollars) if you can. Additionally they've got some labor day sales coming up this weekend, so you can probably get some nice discounts if you buy soon as well.

Quality wise I haven't been able to find any problems with the one I bought, and while mine is on its last legs at the moment I've owned it for almost 7 years now, with the only physical problems I've had with it being that at one point one of the ears came unscrewed from the rest of the headset. (Of which fixing was simply a matter of taking the ear cover off, unscrewing 4 screws and screwing the main screw back in, then putting it back together again, a quick 3 minute fix with some screwdrivers).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: September 04, 2015, 02:43:11 am »

Also, they have more cable than I know what to do with.
Yeah, that is one of the disadvantages of buying headsets that are designed to reach all of the way from your couch to the console plugged in to your very large TV. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: September 04, 2015, 01:59:50 pm »

... but. Hair is down there. You don't even have to go in for that?

Anyway, would you be able to tell us what CD it is? That might help.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 04, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »

Is there an easy way to extract the cookies from a chrome session? I've put a decent chunk of hours into a a clicker game, and realized too late I was in incognito mode.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: September 04, 2015, 02:15:11 pm »

Is there an easy way to extract the cookies from a chrome session? I've put a decent chunk of hours into a a clicker game, and realized too late I was in incognito mode.
why didn't i listen to my food advisor oh gods what have i done
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 04, 2015, 02:15:53 pm »

If you were to read them with a javascript command you could probably copy them down as text and manually modify them later.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 04, 2015, 02:27:04 pm »

If you're worried about losing your progress, I think there's a "Save" button on the page to save your game as a chunk of text which you could then theoretically reload from. Never tried it but I assume that's what it's for.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: September 04, 2015, 04:41:11 pm »

... but. Hair is down there. You don't even have to go in for that?
Head hair.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 05, 2015, 04:55:41 am »

I'm working on a "St Sebastian enjoying his martyr way too much" costume. What's the best way to get rid of a lot of torso hair (if possible not too painfully).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1559 on: September 05, 2015, 05:44:43 am »

Electricke hair trimmer. Most atomic razors not designed to be pocket-sized have one that folds out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 08:57:36 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 647