Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 860894 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

addictive substance
i_dont_think_that_means_what_you_think_it_means.webm
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... I've been around when folks were going through detox for long-term alcoholism, grak. It means exactly what it means.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1517 on: September 01, 2015, 10:42:13 pm »

I like drinking once in a while, but I never try to go beyond tipsy. I don't know what I might do beyond that.

As to why I am so adamant about not getting beyond tipsy, I've seen people getting amplified by alcohol - amplifying their basest instincts. Some of them are okay, go depressive and good chat. Some resort to punching wives and children. I don't suggest you drink alcohol if you have anger management issues.

Because if anything, Alcohol can get somewhat addictive and amplifies your Id.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1518 on: September 02, 2015, 01:11:41 am »

Tobacco isn't addictive either, smokers are just too lazy to quit, right?  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 02, 2015, 04:37:00 am »

Claiming that alcohol isn't addictive is all the more grating than, say, claiming marijuana isn't, because it's demonstrably provable it's physically addictive, with extremely dangerous withdrawal symptoms.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 02, 2015, 06:35:14 am »

Unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of addictive, alcohol is no more so than anything else which alters your brain chemistry. And that's near everything you intake. You might as well disparage eating sugar or fat.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1521 on: September 02, 2015, 06:55:42 am »

Unless I'm misunderstanding the definition of addictive, alcohol is no more so than anything else which alters your brain chemistry. And that's near everything you intake. You might as well disparage eating sugar or fat.

Stopping drinking can literally kill you.

Supplementary reading.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 02, 2015, 08:12:17 am »

That's pretty much the opposite of true. Alcohol withdrawals are much worse even than heroin withdrawals. With heroin, if you go cold turkey, you feel like elephant shit a couple days, and then the animals get smaller and smaller over the course of a couple months. With alcohol, if you go cold turkey, you die. Alcohol has to be replaced with benzos, which means you're just swapping one adiction for another; and then you have to be weaned off those benzos. It's a much slower, much more horrible process.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 02, 2015, 08:17:40 am »

Huh, thanks for that, I didn't know it was so bad. Duly noted then, don't get addicted to ethanol.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 02, 2015, 03:05:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure you have to drink a lot of regular alcohol to develop that sort of real, tangible addiction, though.
If you're getting very drunk every day and your name isn't Jimmy Buffett, you're gonna have a bad time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 02, 2015, 03:09:52 pm »

It really depends on people. Some family have predisposition for alcoholism.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 02, 2015, 04:00:29 pm »

Would dolphins eat things other than fish if they were available? Mice and chunks of meat and really anything that is a dead animal or part of a dead animal or a small alive animal.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 02, 2015, 04:12:09 pm »

Doplhins aso eat squid. Killer whales (which are just large dolphins after all) are known to feast on fishes, squids, but also sea birds and mammals, including beaching themselves to hunt seals. They also sometimes locate penguin on ice floes and create wave to wash them into the seas before hunting them. They have also been reported to eat deers swimming between islands.

So I'd say yes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 02, 2015, 04:20:04 pm »

Really, when it comes to dolphins, an easy rule of thumb is to ask yourself whether doing the action in question would make something more or less of a jackass. If the former, dolphins are probably willing. They're the bastards of the sea. And rivers. And occasionally nearby coastlines. Basically everywhere they can reach, really. If they had rocket packs they would probably spend the afternoons buzzing orphanages.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 02, 2015, 04:29:20 pm »

Probably because they're exceptionally intelligent, I bet.  My guess is that typical animals just aren't creative enough to invent the social constructs we have, much less break them.
They're still jerks, of course.  Just like humans living in anarchy.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 647