Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 647

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 860979 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Well, there's the guy in charge of the mormon temple... and there's also they head of the church of scientology. (spooky sounds)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

The latter doesn't really count though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Why?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

For contrast, there are 176,632 Jedi Knights in the UK alone.  :)

Source:  http://www.theguardian.com/uk/datablog/interactive/2012/dec/11/census-religion
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

There's Juche, the official religion of north korea - with 19 million adherents it is the 10th largest religion in the world. Obviously kim jong un is in charge of that.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

I'm the only one plugged into this simulation and I believe in the existence of myself, making my religion the world's top religion by population of actual humans, at 1.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

There's the Caliph for Islam, but I seem to recall that being a position plagued by election weirdness and random monarchs claiming to be the Caliph.

This is probably the closest, IMO. There are still differences though. There is still a Pope accepted by the mainstream (Ataturk abolished the office in the 20's, and it was pretty hard up for legitimacy by then anyway. ISIS doesn't count.) and 'Caliph' is as much a political title as a spiritual one. The hierarchy below the Pope also doesn't really have an equivalent in (Sunni) Islam either, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:50:21 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, I guess Queenie is the head of the Church of England, and the Anglican church.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

I've been screwing around aplenty with Cheat Engine, and been wanting to make an extended HUD for some of the games I play via trainer building (also to put some of my design skills into practice). Like for example, making a trainer that mainly displays values with the style of the interface being similar to the game I'm playing (like Doom, for example), but displaying unseen values not normally on display in the game (secrets found/secrets total (2 separate address references), for example). Basically, I want to build a more user-friendly display of those hidden values, but also loosely in the style of the game in play. It also feels more convenient than always finishing a level prematurely, hitting Escape or Pause in order to get the info after a few windows to flip through (info on-the-go, but prettier than the Cheat Engine cheat tables).

Naturally, considering the high likelihood of how utterly stupid my questions would sound, and more justifiably so given that I'm essentially programming illiterate (don't know squat about C#, LUA, and so on; despite having taken a programming course, and know simple logic and such as a 101/introductory-level class would provide), I expect nothing but hassle and trouble even merely asking on the official Cheat Engine forums and the like, based solely on my level of programming-retardation (even learning to code/coding language gives me a headache). Actually, in any case where a knowledge disparity is as large as I state, I always expect to be treated like a retard, with expected flamings and so forth, and the obvious lack of help that would follow, along with strings of insults that would make 4chan blush, no matter where I ask.

That aside, what would it take to make something that looks like this (quantity):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look closer to something like this (except, it doesn't need fancy sprites used, even standard text in something akin to it would suffice): (dynamic values included)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With the tools Cheat Engine would provide?

Summary: Take the dynamic values found, and build a HUD out of them in the trainer builder.

Doom is just an example. I want to also do this for games like Commander Keen (something that looks similar to the menu) and Covert Action (Super Spy PDA) and such.

And about that bit I mentioned earlier (knowledge disparity and horrible people), this is why I pretty much never ask for anything anymore, no matter how serious or trivial; not even the simplest of help. I know how people are, and predict no answer will come. Brute-forcing my way through life can only get me so far.

EDIT:
Given this is generally a one-shot question, I figured it works better here than making a new thread in Other Games. And sorry for this not being a *small* question. :P

EDIT EDIT:
Mind you, I intend for it to be a trainer that operates independently from Cheat Engine (made a couple before), and works more like an extended HUD (which I assume is trickier to pull off). Hacks are optional. I already know of using pointers and such; making variables/dynamic values display and constantly update is the trick. Making the HUD/interface look fancy I can take care of.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
One more question. Is there any means of learning to code that would work with my mindset (I learn better with games rather than classes)? Last relevant thing I can remember is a game called Robocode. Basically, you learn programming by making tanks that work. At present, I'm a Lego-level (adolescent) programmer. I understand enough about program builds that I can break codes apart, and Frankenstein them together into something that might work, or brick my computer in the process (I'm not THAT dumb; it's just an example of the lengths I would go). Or basically, I have the programming education level of an outright cheater. I prefer to upgrade to modding levels, where my cheating can make games, not just break them. Kinda like how machinima is moviemaking using games as a medium. Or Excel is a Swiss-Army Knife equivalent of a calculator (made my share of calculators/converters, coin-flippers, status spreadsheets).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:59:20 pm by Itnetlolor »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The problem you will have with Commander Keen is that you have to run it inside of Dosbox, and you might not always get the exact same memory addresses inside the dosbox process for cheat engine to grab.

Otherwise, building a trainer for Commander Keen is painfully easy, since the game is so old that it does not do any of the anti-cheating things that modern games do with heap randomization, encoded values, etc.

Building the HUD is going to be tricky. Commander Keen is a dos based game. You would need to grab the dosbox framebuffer somehow, and paint your HUD on that. Not an easy task.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

It would just be a separate window working outside of Dosbox (no overlay over the game screen/window). I already know all that other stuff about pointer addresses and offsets (avoiding the changing addresses issue). The main issue I have is having the trainer builder display a changing value based on an already found (and pointer-found one while at it, so it's always accurate) variable. I mean, I can always make a separate-window version of the same HUD from a game. I can only display the string that says what keys to hit to do an action via trainer, and the description of said action, which that being the only thing normally accessible is kinda lame. There are progress bars and such, but no address value references available to place. You'd think it would be included to make sure a trainer did the job in certain cases, or making modified/extended HUDs for non-visible values.

Heck, provided I could find all the values, I could even make a mine map for Minesweeper (only have the patience to make a 10x10 map (100 addresses)), or a card-peeker for Solitaire. Kinda cheaty, but a neat project nonetheless. On that note, I already found the string that determines Covert Action cipher puzzle solving. I wouldn't mind making it look like it appears on a PDA, however.

EDIT:
One step forward, and dozens of steps back. This tutorial isn't helping me out. I worked in the relevant material, and I'm getting no readings whatsoever (for now, I just want an ammo read, dammit! Redundant, I know; but it's a proof of concept, thus far disproven, that it live-updates as I play. Just a mimicking of the HUD/status bar would be a good start, then I can replicate it from there >:( ). I even accounted for the pointers.

Oh, how I wish willpower/spirit can reprogram things to work as contextually intended ("'Single-Cell'-Style Existential Overriding" (making the machine a part of me, and operating it like an extension of my being/existence), Gurren Lagaan-style, or "With faith like the mustard seed, it can move mountains. Command the mountain to move, and it shall do so." or words to that effect). Unfortunately, Reality prefers doing things the annoying/tedious/boring-ass way, and maybe prefers Man doesn't turn into God for brief convenience (Got the idea from the movie Lucy or The Matrix; or hell, being a kid again using their imagination, and saying so, like "My hand is now a gun, and I can shoot with it when it looks like a gun. *bang* *bang*").

Frustration and venting aside; Apparently the timer function doesn't work as intended, and even using a manual read button, as the tutorial marked in doesn't work as intended. This is why I hate programming (and on the design side, avoid web design like the plague), and don't want to learn it. Why can't things work as simply as "I want, therefore, it is.", much akin to "I think, therefore, I am."?

For starters:
Code: [Select]
function CEButtonReadClick(sender)
  setProperty(UDF1.AmmoV,"Text", readInteger("[[dosbox.exe+0074b6f4]+428b4]"))
end

It's supposed to use the pointer address and offset(s) to read the ammo value, and overwrite the caption/text box of the display, and it's doing nothing at all (no errors either, because it's doing nothing at all. Stable, despite the input code.). Linking it to a timer that updates regularly doesn't do anything either, and having that auto-update without need to hit a button constantly doesn't do crap either. I just love when code doesn't cooperate. I had more fun when I was breaking things, not building them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:41:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be honest, I always use artmoney instead.  I can open the memory editor window and see the raw data structures in memory. Very useful for bulk manipulation.

Then again, I am really old, and cut teeth with things like gamehack back in the day.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I'd go with F3 just cos F4 is coming out and now is the time to giy hype 4 lyfe

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... of the two, FO3. Crypt's got a very nice gimmick, from what I understand, but it's not really as good a game as Fallout, even the newer ones. Also much shorter, which may or may not be a negative.

Do take some time to check the under 10, under 5 stuff, though. You might find a few lower priced stuff you'd rather get instead :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 647