Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 34.11, problems collecting goblinite  (Read 1251 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
34.11, problems collecting goblinite
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:53:57 pm »

I just returned to DF with the new release.  After a small skirmish, I had a bit of goblinite to collect.  I made sure to remove forbid on all the items on the corpses and turned on gather outdoors.  My dwarves promptly grabbed the corpses and took them to the refuse pile, but they won't touch the goblinite piles on the ground.  Is there another setting I'm missing?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 34.11, problems collecting goblinite
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »

Do you have appropriate stockpiles for weapons, armor and clothing of the types, materials, and qualities brought by the goblins?  Is there space in those stockpiles, or are they full?  Do those stockpiles allow bins but only have a few available right now?

It could be that there's just no place to put the crap, or a few dwarves are hauling containers and going on a multiple pickup trip instead of everyone grabbing one thing.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:17:12 pm »

Do you have wheelbarrows enabled on that stockpile? If you do, it could just be that you have 1, 2 or at most 3 dwarves out doing the hauling with the barrow, and it will just take a while to complete.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:34:24 pm »

Do you have appropriate stockpiles for weapons, armor and clothing of the types, materials, and qualities brought by the goblins?  Is there space in those stockpiles, or are they full?  Do those stockpiles allow bins but only have a few available right now?
/headsmack
Argh!  My stockpiles were full! I can't believe I missed that.  Now everything is moving along.  Thanks!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:37:36 pm »

I run into that problem with plants all the time.  One day I'll either figure out how to tweak a minecart quantum stockpile into an automated sorting machine, or find a happy medium between no crops and drowning in crops.  But not today.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:42:14 pm »

I run into that problem with plants all the time.  One day I'll either figure out how to tweak a minecart quantum stockpile into an automated sorting machine, or find a happy medium between no crops and drowning in crops.  But not today.
Minecarts configured to take from a general stockpile and dump in specific quantum stockpiles. ;D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »

Minecarts configured to take from a general stockpile and dump in specific quantum stockpiles. ;D

I tried that and they kept getting mixed and hung up.  I even split and doubled the stops so there would be stops that did nothing but dump, no taking on new cargo, just to clear the cart.  There's got to be something I'm missing, but so far I haven't worked it out.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:33:08 pm »

Hey Verdant, As a safety precaution you'll probably want to shift to using garbage dumps to move the goblinite inside the walls before letting stockpiles sort it out.

Disable all garbage stockpiles, Enable pile just inside the walls. Let your mass refuse haulers bring it all in. Sort meltables to melt pile burnables to incinerator and so on. Less risk of ambushes picking off a hauler. Especially if your arm them with xbows and a light suit of armor.