Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Challenge Idea: Personal Freedom  (Read 1454 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Challenge Idea: Personal Freedom
« on: July 19, 2012, 05:24:20 am »

The basic idea is that every dwarf is free to practice the profession of their choosing and none are forced to learn a new craft. So you can choose the professions for your starting 7, but once the settlement is begun, no labors can be changed. Dwarfs can practice only those labors they come from the mountainhomes already trained in - and all dwarfs must be given the opportunity to practice their profession. Top priority must always be to try to provide all dwarfs with the workshops and resources necessary to work in their chosen field.

This can also be interpreted as labors requiring actual training and education to master - not something any dwarf can just figure out as they go - and since the fortress doesn't have any educational facilities other than military training, dwarfs are stuck with the skills they already have when they get there.

As a further challenge, no nobles can be appointed other than broker, bookkeeper, and manager (all of whom must already have some skill before being appointed), to maintain the egalitarian aspect of this personal freedom commune. Any offers to increase the status of the fortress should be denied. If a noble is automatically assigned, like a mayor, it is only to appease the monarchy of the mountainhomes, is nominal only, and any requirements for this position must be ignored.

The only change the player can make to labors is to draft those who already have military skill to form a militia. They must be given the weapon they are trained in, however.

I'm thinking of starting a community fort following these guidelines. Think I can pull it off, as long as I choose my starting 7 carefully? Anyone else want to give this a try?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Challenge Idea: Personal Freedom
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:51:54 am »

Fuck yeah potash

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:55:20 am »

This challenge is on the wiki. I would never do it I'm too much of a control freak. What if you never get a brewer? What if you never get a smith?

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 08:05:15 am »

A community game showcasing super-individualistic freedom in career-choice (along with the possibly fatal problems it creates) would definitely be intriguing enough to follow, and perhaps even to participate in. ;)
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 08:17:30 am »

Democratic Fortress: Histories of Freedom and Personal Choice doesn't sound as fun as Dwarf Fascist: Big Brother is watching you.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 08:27:22 am »

Aw, not an original idea huh? I guess it's almost the same as "You Can't Teach an Old Dwarf New Tricks," though not identical. Oh well. I'd still like to do it as a community game. No idea how long it'd last but I'm sure it'd be fun! Wouldn't want to crash and burn too fast though, so I'd make sure the most essential skills are at least basically trained in the starting 7. Peasants would be haulers only. In the unlikely event the fort lasts long enough, children could be given 1 labor possessed by their parents to indicate family apprenticeship.

I think the bigger difficulty will be finding work for all the useless ones. I may well end up with half a dozen screw press operators or soap makers... Just got to set aside some time to actually start a proper fortress then. Also I haven't played any version later than .07 so I'll have to learn all the new stuff as I go...

Replica: It may not sound as fun, but I bet it'll be much more FUN. ;)

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:24 am »

Do post a link to this thread once you've got the game set up. I rarely check out the community games & stories board.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 12:53:52 pm »

Why should peasants be haulers only?  Grower is one of the few professions you can learn on the job without even having the labor enabled, just by helping pick up the crops if dwarves all harvest is enabled.  Surely peasants who've spent enough time working the fields (for the good of the community, of course) to reach at least Novice proficiency with it should be interpreted as having a real interest in working the land, and be permitted to plant seeds in it as well.

And what about those peasant migrants who are peasants because they've arrived with only military skills, nothing civilian, and have simply not been activated in local squads yet?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:20:01 pm »

Valid points, weenog. Peaseants shall be permitted to become growers if they develop the skills naturally. And military-skill-only dwarfs will certainly join the military immediately.

Certainly I will post a link when I get started. Got a couple other projects and not much time currently though, so can't promise it'll be super soon.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »

It's kind of a neat idea for a fortress.  Disturbingly like real life though, in a way.  Brutally difficult to enter or change careers if you're currently unemployed due to bad luck, early irresponsibility, or the job market migrating away from what you chose when it made sense.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

mebuysword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 01:39:34 pm »

What if you offered retraining for peasants with no military or professional skills? Maybe the new job would have to be related to their likes rather than necessity?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »

Sounds like a neat fortress. I'd be interested in watching it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 01:45:55 pm »

What if you offered retraining for peasants with no military or professional skills? Maybe the new job would have to be related to their likes rather than necessity?

I think the only peasants like that are children who grow up.  There was an apprenticeship program mentioned, and they seem amenable to the idea of dwarves who manage to hit Novice in a skill and change their profession on their own getting their labors changed to match.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 01:59:57 pm »

I assume dwarves who get Legendary from Strange Mood would be allowed to add that skill?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 02:09:45 pm »

Strange mood is based off of the dwarves' highest skill, so chances are he'll mood and become legendary in his current trade.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.
Pages: [1] 2