Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: High Speed Clown Disposal - New Theory  (Read 6040 times)

Bananarang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
High Speed Clown Disposal - New Theory
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:10:39 am »

Recently, I had a sudden idea for a creative, (hopefully safe), somewhat productive and hilarious way to kill the clowns.

1) Make a 5x5 room above the clown entrance which you can be sure noone is going to walk past. Carve fortifications into one side only. This side will be connected to 5x2 tiles mined out and connected again (all parallel) to a 3 tile tall corridor which spans left and right.

2) Carve a minecart track down the corridor in the centre tiles. Make the start of the track as appropriate so that a large amount of speed is gained before the cart fires past the clowns. Use metal carts. At the end of the track, allow dwarves to return to fortress without walking past the demons again.

3) Release the clowns via lever.

4) Prepare all marksdwarves to ride minecarts at high velocity past the clowns and fire upon them.

Thoughts?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: High Speed Clown Disposal - New Theory
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:57:17 am »

Marksdwarves can't fire while riding a minecart.
Edit because i was totally wrong.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:11:54 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:34:04 am »

Firing shotguns into the room might be a vable method.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Bananarang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:49:10 am »

Vital flaw.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 06:04:55 am »

Really? They can't fire?

:(. I thought they could definitely punch and grab something as they went passed it - the great patch note from Toady indicated this.

So shouldn't they be able to fire bolts as well?

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:08:35 am »

This isn't true as Toady did indeed make it so things riding mine carts can attack/be attacked. The problem is getting active military units riding a cart.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:06:56 am »

You had to spoil the fun
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:24:20 am »

This isn't true as Toady did indeed make it so things riding mine carts can attack/be attacked. The problem is getting active military units riding a cart.

Nyes, but will they fire ranged weapons from high speed minecarts?
That is the question.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:36:50 pm »

Well off duty marksdwarves still shoot at hostiles. All we need is a decent marksdwarf looking for a ride on a minecart heading to goblin city to find out.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:17:56 pm »

Firing shotguns into the room might be a vable method.
'My dream for dwarven armoured personel carriers, DASHED. YOU BASTARD.

Nyes, but will they fire ranged weapons from high speed minecarts?
That is the question.
So the dream could still be alive? YES. How about launching a minecart and marksdwarf off a cliff, will they be fighter planes?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 08:30:23 pm »

You could try making them inactive until they take the 'ride cart' job, and then reactivating them. I've never seen a dwarf cancel a civilian job upon being activated.

But it's probably unecessary anyway -- civilians with crossbows will fire at threats until they run out of bolts, at which point they revert to normal civilian behaviour. If civilians won't fire from a minecart, it's unlikely that soldiers will. But it's still worth a try.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »

To get military on minecarts, lock them in a room with the cart (so no other dwarves ride the cart), set them to inactive, and then set the cart  to "ride always" (or have the cart always set to "ride always", but leave it sealed behind a door until they get in the room, then unlock that door). You may have to activate them once they're in the minecart, but as was mentioned earlier, they'll probably attack hostiles anyway.

Also, I think I can confirm that marksdwarves will shoot at things while riding in a minecart. In arena mode, I tried running axedwarves in minecarts past rows of goblins, and they'd strike and be struck occasionally. If melee dwarves attack, I see no reason as to why ranged dwarves will not.

EDIT: I just tested marksdwarves in minecarts in arena mode. They DO fire while riding!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:08:01 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 11:20:58 pm »

EDIT: I just tested marksdwarves in minecarts in arena mode. They DO fire while riding!
The dream of a perferct perimeter defense force lives on.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 11:24:00 pm »

I suppose a minecart riding marksdorf won't refill his quiver from bolts loaded into the cart, will he?
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 11:35:14 pm »

-snip-

YAY!!! :D Bananarang, your theory holds true
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together
Pages: [1] 2