Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I'm trying to get into voice acting...  (Read 1685 times)

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I'm trying to get into voice acting...
« on: July 19, 2012, 02:44:35 am »

Hi All,

Hope this isn't against the forum rules.  I figured that quite a few people in this forum might be into developing indie games or fan stuff, and as such, might need a voice actor at some point :D

As the title says, I'm a budding voice actor looking to build up a portfolio of work.  I've recently started uploading demos to Youtube, and I'm on the lookout for work to improve my range - fan/student projects are great, and I don't charge for my work, unless you want me to book a studio for recordings :P

Also, critiques and requests for specific demos are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Arbitrax

www.youtube.com/JC5124

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm trying to get into voice acting...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 02:46:06 am »

Wrong forum, matey. Move to life advice or creative projects.
Hello Hunam

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:01:09 am »

Sorry about that!  Ahem...now then...where was I.  Ah yes!  I didn't mention much about what I can do:

Male
Medium-Low voice (But I'm training to push my range lower still)
British is my native voice, but I can pick up most accents, given enough rehearsal time.  Send me a couple of demo lines and I'll show you what I can do!
Age 20-70
I'm available for audio-only or AV work, and I'm tweaking my hardware/software constantly, in order to get the best out of my gear.

Oh, and if anyone wants to know, I use Audacity for my voice recordings.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:03:34 am by Arbitrax »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:41:14 am »

http://furubadrama.weebly.com/auditionsextras.html This project is a fairly well done manga adaptation radio drama that is always taking auditions for minor roles in upcoming episodes. There's a male role up there right now. JesuOtaku's a very nice lady so I'd pitch to her. The roles available change regularly. Of course there are probably plenty of other little projects out there that have similar stuff this is just one I know off the top of my head.

As for the demo clips, your equipment/setup could definitely be a bit better. Levels seem off (clipping and peaking) and there's some definite background noise.  I'd invest in a quality mic and take the time to master the settings for whatever you record audio in, limiting the audio peaking and such.

Also: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=pop+filter&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=789&bih=796&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2261543379549550766&sa=X&ei=h8oHUJ_8E8qhrAGI1O3NBA&ved=0CHIQ8wIwBQ

Cannot stress enough how important pop filters are!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:51:32 am by Tilla »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:53:58 am »

The tone of your voice is excellent! That being said I recommend you seek training from a coach, either speech or drama. Your breath control draws too much attention and you could benefit from coaching on intonation and inflection training. You have the natural ability but if you are serious you must invest time and money in your art. There is a reason why much of the VA roles now go to traditional actors.

I wish you luck and if I hear of any projects I will be sure to share the info with you. Cheers.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:43:44 pm »

Not sure how useful it is, but apparently nose-breathing can help mitigate the sounds of your breaths.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 06:34:42 pm »

http://furubadrama.weebly.com/auditionsextras.html This project is a fairly well done manga adaptation radio drama that is always taking auditions for minor roles in upcoming episodes. There's a male role up there right now. JesuOtaku's a very nice lady so I'd pitch to her. The roles available change regularly. Of course there are probably plenty of other little projects out there that have similar stuff this is just one I know off the top of my head.

As for the demo clips, your equipment/setup could definitely be a bit better. Levels seem off (clipping and peaking) and there's some definite background noise.  I'd invest in a quality mic and take the time to master the settings for whatever you record audio in, limiting the audio peaking and such.

Also: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=pop+filter&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=789&bih=796&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2261543379549550766&sa=X&ei=h8oHUJ_8E8qhrAGI1O3NBA&ved=0CHIQ8wIwBQ

Cannot stress enough how important pop filters are!

Thank you for the feedback!  I must say, as bad as these demos are, I've recently discovered how to grab a "Silence" track and remove that from my track, so as to eliminate background noise.  And I'll definitely look into a pop filter and an actual mic, once I get the cash to do so!

The tone of your voice is excellent! That being said I recommend you seek training from a coach, either speech or drama. Your breath control draws too much attention and you could benefit from coaching on intonation and inflection training. You have the natural ability but if you are serious you must invest time and money in your art. There is a reason why much of the VA roles now go to traditional actors.

I wish you luck and if I hear of any projects I will be sure to share the info with you. Cheers.
Not sure how useful it is, but apparently nose-breathing can help mitigate the sounds of your breaths.

Thanks!  Having listened back to myself, I know what you both mean about the puffs, and the general "Rough" sound.  I've got a new clip coming up soon, and I'd appreciate feedback to see if I'm improving.  It was supposed to go up today, but summer happened for the first time today so I spent all day outside, and I didn't do the editing I meant to do! 

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 08:24:07 pm »

There's a game that I, and 3 other people on the forums are actively working on (there are more people, but I and the other 3 are the main ones actually doing work on it): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107349.0
We also tend to be on irc.freenode.#100C

I'm sure that at a certain point we could use some voice acting. Sorry for the non-specific description, but I just saw your thread and had the idea.

EDIT:
Something that I have written for it, for which a voice over would be great. It's the story you read when you first start the game.

They died by the hundreds; they died by the thousands. In the first second of the war, the neutron bombs wiped out half the world. After the first minute, it was over; only one patch of humanity remained. Into the depths of ignorance spiraled the greatest knowledge of humankind. The last humans knew nothing practical: a scholar who had made steam his life’s work, and an artificial intelligence expert. None of them knew how to survive in the barren landscape of the world, but together they eked out a living, working on their project, always working. But it could not last; they died from radiation poisoning, yet not before they finished their work: the robots.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:27:23 pm by Kofthefens »
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »

There's a game that I, and 3 other people on the forums are actively working on (there are more people, but I and the other 3 are the main ones actually doing work on it): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107349.0
We also tend to be on irc.freenode.#100C

I'm sure that at a certain point we could use some voice acting. Sorry for the non-specific description, but I just saw your thread and had the idea.

EDIT:
Something that I have written for it, for which a voice over would be great. It's the story you read when you first start the game.

They died by the hundreds; they died by the thousands. In the first second of the war, the neutron bombs wiped out half the world. After the first minute, it was over; only one patch of humanity remained. Into the depths of ignorance spiraled the greatest knowledge of humankind. The last humans knew nothing practical: a scholar who had made steam his life’s work, and an artificial intelligence expert. None of them knew how to survive in the barren landscape of the world, but together they eked out a living, working on their project, always working. But it could not last; they died from radiation poisoning, yet not before they finished their work: the robots.

Ooh, Steampunk Fallout you say?  Sounds interesting.  I've got a few ideas, and I've got the morning off work, so I'll send you some reels.

Ta!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:49:11 pm »

Great, thanks! The game is nowhere near done, but it's getting there. You can mine stuff out of an infinite ore tile, smelt it, and forge it onto stuff. We should be fully doing steam in a bit. (Right now there's a boiler where robots will refuel with steam, but buildings don't need it and we don't have pipes.)
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:05:04 pm »

Hurrk, sorry, it took me a lot longer to edit my latest YouTube video.  I'll do my best to get some reels to you on Thursday morning...

In the meantime, who wants to hear me read a 5-minute short story?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-XdHtgsv8g

I really tried to improve my breathing for this one, so again, critiques much appreciated!

Also, a quick snap poll: Do you reckon it's worth adding background sound/music to spice up the demos, or do you think I should leave them clean, so producers can hear my voice "As is"?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:07:53 pm by Arbitrax »