Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180756 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1830 on: December 26, 2012, 07:16:27 pm »

You just called Catholic and Protestant denominations. THEY'RE BRANCHES!
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: December 26, 2012, 07:18:10 pm »

Sects: Go away, you're scaring me.
What? You don’t like Christian sects?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: December 26, 2012, 07:18:47 pm »

Well, the Roman Catholic Church is technically both a branch and a denomination. I guess it would depend upon internal sects like Opus Dei to be sects or branches.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: December 26, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »

Branches: R/C, P, and EO
It should be R/C, O, P and EO.
O has less schisms with R/C than EO and will probably not want to be omitted.

He meant C and "P denominations", I think.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: December 26, 2012, 07:30:32 pm »

Blah blah religious taxonomy blah blah
Too much bother. We’ll just keep lumping you together. You all worship the same god anyway.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: December 26, 2012, 07:42:35 pm »

Blah blah religious taxonomy blah blah
Too much bother. We’ll just keep lumping you together. You all worship the same god anyway.
Well, it's sometimes interesting why they keep hating each other.
Also I have a bigger problem with protestants of the biblical literalist/creationist variety than say with the ones that have female bishops.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: December 26, 2012, 07:53:17 pm »

Third, I don't like the lumping either.  The differences between Catholic and Protestant denominations are many.  I guess most of you don't know how annoying it is to be lumped together with the Westboro assholes.  :(
The diffidence here, is in terms of the survey's, the "lumping" together, is mean to exclude how they act, etc it don't take in to acount if you think drinking is a sin, it don't care if you think only voices should be used to praise God (church of Christ anyone?)

and it don't care if you think Gays are evil, need help, or should be welcomed

More or less all these surveys do is put "do you believe in Christ as the son of god?' yes or no, if yes then your a christian, like them or not they ARE fellow christian

and fyi there is a joke\ complaint form each domination about the other

While that's "right" its not counted as such, and is consider a denim nation by many, like technically Gay meant happy, it now means something else, so to do I feel at least that "bracers" is now becoming a fancy way of trying to not be "another domination" in socity eyes anyways
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: December 26, 2012, 08:03:41 pm »

Oh, dude, communication error.

I said "Catholic" and "Protestant denominations."

Different Protestant "sects" are called denominations.  But I didn't call Catholics a denomination.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: December 26, 2012, 10:27:57 pm »

To anyone outside the sects, the differences between various Christian and Muslim sects are ultimately quite minor. Just in interpretations of bits and pieces of whatever holy text they have.

They are just very, very good at making mountains out of molehills, and have killed (and continue to kill) thousands over these minor differences.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: December 26, 2012, 10:32:11 pm »

Not entirely minor, mate.  To use an obvious example, my church is much different than Westboro's church.

And a lot of times those interpretations that cause killing are ones that advocate killing and intolerance.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: December 26, 2012, 11:13:18 pm »

I say it's minor since you just disagree on which bits of the Bible you ought to follow.

Your church presumably preaches that you should love your neighbour etc, whereas the Westboro buggers preach that God hate fags. But both sides still believe that the Bible is the one true book and Jesus is the son of God.The Westboro people aren't any less Christian than you because they still do follow the Bible, albeit the more horrific parts.

So to an nonbeliever like me it's just about which verses are supposed to be followed and which aren't, which interpretations are correct and which aren't, what's metaphorical and what isn't. As opposed to saying "screw the whole inspired word of God business, let's just take the good stuff and leave the bad stuff behind".

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: December 26, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »

So to an nonbeliever like me it's just about which verses are supposed to be followed and which aren't

I'd agure that for the MOST part, this is non believes hearing
What the bible says women submit to their husbands? and claim it puts women like "property", but of course they dont read the next verse that says "men love and respect your wife's"

When it comes to verses not being followed 99.9% of the time, its the non believers taking out of context, maybe some where there IS a verse, but all I've seen is those
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1842 on: December 26, 2012, 11:30:48 pm »

I say it's minor since you just disagree on which bits of the Bible you ought to follow.
I dunno, do Protestants and Catholics really seem all that similar to you? My impression of Protestantism is a lot of bombast and hellfire, whereas my impression of Catholicism is a lot of chants and arcane rituals. Also hats. Lotsa weird hats.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: December 26, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »

What the bible says women submit to their husbands? and claim it puts women like "property", but of course they dont read the next verse that says "men love and respect your wife's"

When it comes to verses not being followed 99.9% of the time, its the non believers taking out of context, maybe some where there IS a verse, but all I've seen is those

Who decides what's in context and what's not? The Bible has been translated so many times and is so self contradictory that it's hard to discern what the original writers really intended to mean.

Just take for example that you mentioned. Ephesians says that women should submit to their husbands and that men should love their wives. It doesn't explicitly say that husbands should respect their wives, however, but it does explicitly say that wives should respect their husbands.

You can take it to mean that there should be mutual respect between married couples, which is well and good.

Or you can take it to mean that husbands should (physically) love their wives and wives should be treated like property, and nobody can say you're wrong, it's just your interpretation.

I dunno, do Protestants and Catholics really seem all that similar to you? My impression of Protestantism is a lot of bombast and hellfire, whereas my impression of Catholicism is a lot of chants and arcane rituals. Also hats. Lotsa weird hats.

One side believes you can find your purpose in life and the meaning of everything by following the Bible. Other side believes you can do the same by following the Pope's (who has a huge hat) interpretation of the Bible. Ultimately they both follow the Bible, so I say the difference is minor.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: December 26, 2012, 11:36:36 pm »

So to an nonbeliever like me it's just about which verses are supposed to be followed and which aren't

Ahem

"Deuteronomy 17
If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die."

Am I taking that out of context?
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 130