Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180836 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1785 on: December 23, 2012, 03:19:29 am »

-snip-
...but there's literally no reason to believe that.[...] and it may as well be null and void anyway.

Exactly why I think that the God Of Logic would serve damnation upon anyone who believes in him.  They're being just as illogical as the followers who believe in any of the non-real gods that were conjured out of humanity's collective imagination.

The people who find themselves in the {set of all those that would be Saved} would be those who rule out even His possible existence.  But I'm not here to convince anyone that this is the case, because obviously I'd be both totally incapable of rationally doing so, given the lack of proof He has left, and (if I somehow got them to convert to the espoused viewpoint) I'd be condemning any right-thinking person to an illogical Hell of His devising that they weren't previously destined for...

As such, I won't be adopting the missionary position, lest I...  well...

Machiavelli

• Bay Watcher
  • 強い白い
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: December 23, 2012, 10:12:27 am »

... DOSE ... DOSE cause harm
JESUS CHRIST STOP THAT
NKAWTG

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: December 23, 2012, 10:51:38 am »

If the entire purpose of your post is to critique grammar, don't bother posting.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: December 23, 2012, 10:00:29 pm »

On behalf of our erstwhile correspondent, I feel I need to point out that it's not grammar that's the problem (at least in that case) but that he appears to have some massive inability to spell correctly.  Maybe dyslexia of some kind, but I don't believe he's mentioned that by name[1] unless I've missed it.  The word "does" is being re-ordered to "dose" as and when he tries to use it...  And that passes any and all spill-chucker tests.  (I have a tendency to spell "more" as "mroe" and "in the" as "int he", when I type quickly, more a function of finger-synchronisation and timing, but that sort of thing gets picked up, unless (for the latter) I've for some reason added "int" as a word on a particular system, due to its frequent use in program listings.)

When he spells words incorrectly so that they fail the spelling tests, then really odd words come out when forced to choose the 'correct' version of a badly arranged word. Recently there was "expelling" written but (I assume, from context) "explain" was what was meant.

All of this is... not easy to work with, but I wouldn't condemn Wolfy for that.

I do think that the wilful abandonment of case and punctuation is something not to be appreciated (which I don't think has yet been explained away as a result of his particular encumbrance, but if this also is I shall take back this objection), as is the bad structuring of some of the arguments (ditto, but I would consider that more likely to be just bad composition... and some would suggest myself as having a related condition in this regard).

There's also the whole adherence to circular logic within his reasoning behind some of his arguments, and inability to realise which side of Occam's Razor his combined mass of axiomic assumptions fall, but that's actually what should be being discussed (although I've a feeling we've got a stalemate here, with one side or the other imagining they've actually got their opponent's king in check, and undissuadable about that 'fact'), not the grammar.  And I say that as a pedant myself.

...who is just repeating (give or take any personal misunderstandings) what has so recently been said, with apologies to those that already absorbed this situation and 'accepted' it.  However, it does mean that while I'm internally frustrated about Wolfy's inability to communicate clearly, I package that away[2] and only remain frustrated with the apparent inability of our combined discussions to come to the logical agreement.

And all this is much too long a post to say "it's not his fault".  (And I shall take it on trust that this is a fact.)  And in the words of the appropriate baseball official, let's get back to the subject at hand and now.... "Play ball!"

[1] To be fair, it's a pretty difficult condition to spell, but that's an old and tired joke as well.

[2] With only the slightest comment, where I absolutely feel I need to, to cover where I my be mis-reinterpreting the mistakes....

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: December 23, 2012, 11:18:02 pm »

Legible and useful post, yet still partially on topic. Yay.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: December 24, 2012, 07:56:29 am »

Shall we try an IRC debate? Someone would need to moderate, of course, and all but the mod and the debaters would be muted. It might even be entertaining for people to swap positions. Anyone willing to participate?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: December 24, 2012, 08:16:35 am »

What, like with speaking orders?  That could work.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: December 24, 2012, 09:26:05 am »

Sounds like fun, but the potential for rage inducing boneheaddery is very high.
This is a blank sig.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: December 24, 2012, 09:29:59 am »

Rage-inducing boneheaddery is the reason we would have a moderator. I had not thought of it until Leafsnail mentioned it, but we would need speaking orders to prevent it from being chat salad, but otherwise I think it would do well.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: December 24, 2012, 10:11:21 am »

The style of formal debating I'm used to has 8 speakers on four teams.  The rules would probably need to be tweaked somewhat for IRC but it seems to work.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: December 24, 2012, 10:16:53 am »

I have never been a part of a formal debate, and I have never been op on IRC, so that is why I am not organizing it myself. I’ll do it if no one better qualified offers, but it would probably be better if someone who had experience with one or the other did it. Any takers?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: December 24, 2012, 11:26:49 am »

I could do it but it would probably have to wait until after Christmas

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: December 24, 2012, 05:34:15 pm »

Yeah, if it turned out we were designed for something other than slavery or food or something like that, I think I'd go along the same lines as you, treating them with gratitude, but not outright worship.
Yeah, that makes sense.

To add to your list of negative things, what if they designed us just to fuck with us.
I'd hate them, but to be honest, they'd probably be far more advanced than us, so we'd be able to do fuck all to them.
If they have faces, I'm going to reject that fuck-all.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: December 25, 2012, 02:07:33 am »

Yeah, if it turned out we were designed for something other than slavery or food or something like that, I think I'd go along the same lines as you, treating them with gratitude, but not outright worship.
Yeah, that makes sense.

To add to your list of negative things, what if they designed us just to fuck with us.
I'd hate them, but to be honest, they'd probably be far more advanced than us, so we'd be able to do fuck all to them.
If they have faces, I'm going to reject that fuck-all.
I dunno.  My maw taught me to never turn down a "fuck-all."  :P

Also, I haven't a fucking whiff of what an "irc" is or where it lives.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: December 25, 2012, 02:44:34 am »

IRc is more or less a chat room
internet something chat if IIRCC
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 130