Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180734 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1455 on: December 20, 2012, 05:33:22 pm »

Well, if you think about the afterlife as an eternity of Earth... yeah, that would suck some hoary marmot teat.

But I figure it's probably going to be something we can't even imagine.

Like...
... Well, I dunno.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: December 20, 2012, 05:35:51 pm »

But I figure it's probably going to be something we can't even imagine.

Like...
... Well, I dunno.
Just posting to say this made me chuckle (in a good way).

I'm always amused when "I dunno" is a valid and strong answer to something.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 20, 2012, 05:47:31 pm »

The only way I could think of an eternal afterlife working would be if boredom was removed, because you'd get bored of rock climbing eventually, then canoeing, then exploring the universe, then sex...

You'd eventually run out of things to do, get depressed, then be unable to kill yourself.
Meh, we'll just re invent something like internet, and everything will be ok. God is a nuclear plant, and there's no global warming. And there's unlimited bandwidth !

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: December 20, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »

fuck afterlife. what is going into the afterlife? your soul? what the fuck is your soul? who are you? your memories? your personality? what parts of your mind would have to be erased so you could bear with eternity? what would need to be inserted so you could understand all that bullshit that is beyond human understanding? would you still be the same person after all that? and if not, why would you care that an entity tangentially related to you gets into a place that you wouldn't even find pleasant if it was actually you in there?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 20, 2012, 06:02:24 pm »

Okay, this is entirely unrelated to the current conversation, but I checked in on this many pages ago and noticed we were having a debate about what agnosticism was and how it related to atheism. I want to applaud all of you for the next hour, for getting past the semantic overhead and getting onto a productive conversation, but I don't have that kind of time, so you'll have to accept the next best thing: all of my internets. How'd that wind up getting resolved (if anybody cares)?

On the current topic - I dunno about the afterlife. I've concluded that there probably isn't one, but maybe I'm wrong. Still, I feel like the life I have now is in a pretty feckin' awesome world and I'd better make the most of it. There's no way that works out badly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 20, 2012, 06:04:33 pm »

I got kind of annoyed today when someone tried to get me to join the local church as if religion is some sort of afterlife insurance policy. There are so many things wrong with that. It's insulting to pretty much everyone.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 20, 2012, 06:11:02 pm »

fuck afterlife. what is going into the afterlife? your soul? what the fuck is your soul? who are you? your memories? your personality? what parts of your mind would have to be erased so you could bear with eternity? what would need to be inserted so you could understand all that bullshit that is beyond human understanding? would you still be the same person after all that? and if not, why would you care that an entity tangentially related to you gets into a place that you wouldn't even find pleasant if it was actually you in there?
How can you come to all of this? first off, a baby cant understand the wonders of sex, dose that mean you cant enjoy it when your older?
I mean yes we "changed a lot" but to me its the same as a kid to an adult, compare me as a kid, to a teen to an adult, its like I'm a freaking sepreate species

a person form the start of time, has no idea what now day music is, in fact it would sound WRONG to them, heck chords did not even exist, dose that mean music cant change?

As long as you LIKE it at that point in time I don't see a problbem, my likes change here right now a lot as well, and they will change more, just becuse one day I will like running (hahah yeah right) dont mean that when I do its not me

Of course the ideas of souls is thats what makes you, you in the first place... so the point is moot.

As for what goes, I to often wonder, and I do fear the idea of not being able to have  a "love" (wifes and husbands will not be wifes and husbands anymore) but it sounds nice when you think bout it, no more pain, there is no need for a wife or husband, you alredy had kids, you are not going anywhere, and you will know peace...

But yeah the unknown parts do scare me

I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 20, 2012, 06:14:20 pm »

Okay, this is entirely unrelated to the current conversation, but I checked in on this many pages ago and noticed we were having a debate about what agnosticism was and how it related to atheism.
How'd that wind up getting resolved (if anybody cares)?

I didn't follow that debate, but I would say that agnosticism is a statement like "maybe there is a god, maybe not, I do not/can not know". Important for agnostics is the question wether you can actually know something like that. Atheism would say something in between "Probably there is no god" and "I definitely know there is no god". So atheism assumes that you can make statements about the existence of a god.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: December 20, 2012, 06:16:21 pm »

i missed this earlier
you're lucky to live in a world that doesnt suck as much as some others. beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and for the greater part of it's population of the world, the world sucks. atheists don't believe there's something better afterwards and sometimes it's hard to keep a cheerful spirit without some sort brain gymnastics
I am an atheist, and frankly I find the idea of nothingness after death relieving. I also think it's the only thing that gives meaning to life.
i too am an atheist and i too find the idea of nothingness after death relieving. i'm not worried about my death for my sake, but i'm having a really hard time coming to terms with the deaths of people very close to me, and i'm scared shit about what will happen to the people around me when i die. there's no beauty to be found in death in real life. there's nothing poetic about it, it's just ridiculous and unbelievable, and nothing can comfort you short of believing dead people are not really dead, which isn't that hard to believe, given that death is so hard to swallow

How can you come to all of this? first off, a baby cant understand the wonders of sex, dose that mean you cant enjoy it when your older?
I mean yes we "changed a lot" but to me its the same as a kid to an adult, compare me as a kid, to a teen to an adult, its like I'm a freaking sepreate species

a person form the start of time, has no idea what now day music is, in fact it would sound WRONG to them, heck chords did not even exist, dose that mean music cant change?

As long as you LIKE it at that point in time I don't see a problbem, my likes change here right now a lot as well, and they will change more, just becuse one day I will like running (hahah yeah right) dont mean that when I do its not me

Of course the ideas of souls is thats what makes you, you in the first place... so the point is moot.

As for what goes, I to often wonder, and I do fear the idea of not being able to have  a "love" (wifes and husbands will not be wifes and husbands anymore) but it sounds nice when you think bout it, no more pain, there is no need for a wife or husband, you alredy had kids, you are not going anywhere, and you will know peace...

But yeah the unknown parts do scare me
i do believe i'm not the same person i was as a baby, and because a caveman wouldn't be able to appreciate classical music it wouldn't make much sense to reward him by giving him classical music. getting past that, if paradise is so awesome, why weren't we born in there then? doesn't god love us enough?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: December 20, 2012, 06:21:00 pm »

Honestly, isn't the concept of an eternal afterlife a little scary? Isn't is better to actually have an end?
Imagine if every year, on your birthday, you were given a single grain of sand. Once you have enough sand to build earth, its moon, and every other object in the universe out of sand, that wouldn't even be day 1 of eternity. By the end of the first thousand years you would be begging for it to end! How can you ever be happy knowing that firstly there is no real point to doing anything today, because there will always be tomorrow, and secondly sooner rather than later you will have done it all. Everything. Every possible thing to keep the mind focused.
Eternity is the slow, painful death of inspiration.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 20, 2012, 06:22:48 pm »

simple. god makes boredom go away

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: December 20, 2012, 06:28:50 pm »

Or... y'know, there's more to do than just build sandcastles and mope.
Again, I don't know what it'll be like exactly, but I highly doubt Paradise is like the Earth.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: December 20, 2012, 06:31:59 pm »

i do believe i'm not the same person i was as a baby, and because a caveman wouldn't be able to appreciate classical music it wouldn't make much sense to reward him by giving him classical music. getting past that, if paradise is so awesome, why weren't we born in there then? doesn't god love us enough?
We where, we where in the Garden of Eden, and Adam and Eve messed it up, put it this way why do parents not give kids evrye single thing they ever want, and give them "par-dice"? Why do parents punish their kids, and let them go through their trials? its part of life and growing, maybe thats true there too, if you give a kid evrey single thing they hope for what happens?

So why did he?

For one love, its quite clear that many times you have to let your kid\what ever make their mistakes learn and live. or they turn out... with problems

Do I know why God dose this? fully no, but neither dose a kid know why their parent dose it, it dont make what the parent dose any less right dose it?

I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: December 20, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »

simple. god makes boredom go away
See then the implication is that we all live as mindless potatoes for all eternity. Still not as appealing to me as a finite lifespan.

Or... y'know, there's more to do than just build sandcastles and mope.
What takes an eternity to do?
Fuck if there is a god, that must be why it made this vast thing called the universe. So he could tune in to channel earth and watch the monkeys learn to use sticks. Not much else to do really. Damn, well that isn't that great, better give them morality and watch them abuse it! Oh look, they are killing each other over different interpretations of what I am like. Fuck, better select an form of existence and punish whoever guesses wrong!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: December 20, 2012, 06:39:26 pm »

Oh, I think I could get by for arbitrarily many days of an infinite span. Whatever the point of infinite time is, is the point of what now is. Time isn't the issue - it's what I can do. More time just means I can do more things.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 130