Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180687 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1275 on: December 05, 2012, 08:47:42 pm »

Probably just "on something".  Posts from earlier today were very coherent.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: December 05, 2012, 08:49:04 pm »

Probably just "on something".  Posts from earlier today were very coherent.

Voodoo yah? Mysticism is my true desire. Christ is neat to a point, until a Christian gets into the conversation, which is typically always.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50:55 pm »

Alpha Dwarf: please don't post until you've either taken your meds or stopped taking your "meds".  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:55:43 pm by Leafsnail »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: December 05, 2012, 08:51:21 pm »

Oh God. I think I'm starting to understand him.

ohgod.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: December 05, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »

Alpha Dwarf: please don't post until you've either taken your meds or stop taking your "meds".  Thanks.

Is that a mod? Punk? *ch'ckk

But the point is simple. Mine that is. God, may not be true, but that still won't tell us much. It won't tell us to enjoy life. Or hate it. Then again, who needs to be told why when we experience these things anyways.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:54:45 pm by Alpha Dwarf »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1280 on: December 05, 2012, 08:57:53 pm »

I've muted Alpha Dwarf for a week.  He/she is being reported everywhere for all sorts of things.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 05, 2012, 09:05:33 pm »

I'd certainly stand with you there, Fenrir. That third clause wasn't a requirement for anything, but just what I'd consider truth. Without Christ's Crucifixion, the only way to achieve salvation is by being perfect. He opened the door, but I don't think knowing that He opened it is a requirement for entry.
That still leaves us misunderstanding each other; we agree that faith in Christ shouldn’t be a requirement, but I can’t see why any sacrifice needed to happen at all. Nailing a man to a cross as a prerequisite for offering salvation is a complete non-sequitur.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:07:44 pm by Fenrir »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 05, 2012, 09:09:50 pm »

My understanding is that Christ was the first and only truly perfect person; THAT is what gave him the power to take upon the sins of the world (along with being, ya know, God's son and all that). The rest of his life (crucifixion/etc) were symbolic at best.

Anyway, you could argue any ritual is a non-sequitor, if you really wanted. What good does animal sacrifice do?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:28 pm »

I would argue that actually, Kai!
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:54 pm »

But maaagiiiicccc~
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:54 pm »

* Descan clings to your face.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 05, 2012, 09:20:17 pm »

In many religions(from what I know) in which animal sacrifice is present, it often has to do with a more recent idea on the level of feudalism; they protect you and are more powerful, therefore, you give up something to them so they will continue to do so, and not just smash you. From what I know, it's a matter of course, rarely part of rituals. Rituals which have that in it often have to do with the belief that the life force of the animal can be used to power the spell/whatever or appease the gods/whatever.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 05, 2012, 09:29:47 pm »

My understanding is that Christ was the first and only truly perfect person; THAT is what gave him the power to take upon the sins of the world (along with being, ya know, God's son and all that). The rest of his life (crucifixion/etc) were symbolic at best.
“Taking on the sins of the world,” doesn’t make any sense, and it does not matter who the sacrifice is. When I talk about my sins, I don’t mean things that I carry around and put down and give to other people. They are things I did. Jesus being nailed to a cross didn’t change that.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 05, 2012, 09:36:02 pm »

Jesus was only as perfect as he needed to be... oh, wait...

Anyway, you could argue any ritual is a non-sequitor, if you really wanted. What good does animal sacrifice do?
I found this.  It looks like it's very dependent on religion and context, and agreement doesn't always exist within a religion.  I would have thought of it as either a bribe, or a "greeting card", otherwise.

Regarding, the sacrifice of Christ, it sounds like he atones for the sins of others.  Accepting him is accepting that he atones for your sins?  I'm not Christian, so I'm not very familiar with the idea.  It limits my ability to understand.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 06, 2012, 04:03:10 am »

From what I gathered from 4 years in a Catholic school, the deal with Jesus is that Yahweh is vengeful (but also all-loving), and Jesus is unconditionally loving. If you believe in Jesus then he vouches you into heaven and out of eternal torment.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 130