Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 181039 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1065 on: November 24, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »

@maj:

ok, that happens. Alot, actually. But what is the point you're trying to make? I'm still confused.

EDIT: that's what morals are 'ideas of good & evil' what exactly do you mean when you say "Doing bad things in the name of <X> thinking there good" ?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:11:32 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: November 24, 2012, 03:10:23 pm »

I rather have people doing good things and whatever their reason is doesn't matter.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 24, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »

that doesn't make sense to me, I read 'He'd rather have people doing good things, and not have people doing bad things in the name of religon calling them good things.'

Replace religion with justice and you still get the same thing. People doing bad things in the name of justice thinking it's good.
No, it's not the same. Justice is not based on some divine being made up by people with a completely different set of morals from today's community.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 24, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »

that doesn't make sense to me, I read 'He'd rather have people doing good things, and not have people doing bad things in the name of religon calling them good things.'

Replace religion with justice and you still get the same thing. People doing bad things in the name of justice thinking it's good.
No, it's not the same. Justice is not based on some divine being made up by people with a completely different set of morals from today's community.
And then you find out that there's laws against flirting.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 24, 2012, 03:14:13 pm »

Wasn't that in the WTF thread?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 24, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »

Yes it was, and I think everyone here agrees that its a dumb law and should be gotten rid of.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 24, 2012, 03:15:22 pm »

I'm getting the sense that maybe we're having a slight disconnect here. Maybe, because you're both explaining it differently?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 24, 2012, 03:17:39 pm »

Yeah, we Americans are mostly descended from protestants, although most of us are too ignorant to know it. Seriously, I was in school and like the entire rest of the class didn't think Catholicism was Christianity. And we do have some catholic presence, from Italian immigrants and such that have Assimilated.

Interestingly, a lot of Americans even think that the early settlers went Leftpondian in order to escape religion whereas, on the balance of things, they were looking for a place to be more religious.

But (as per the last post, that I just edited out of existence) I may well be ninjaed.  Or just irrelevant.  But as the thread's growing so quickly I'm still posting prematurely.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: November 24, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »

I'm getting the sense that maybe we're having a slight disconnect here. Maybe, because you're both explaining it differently?

Lets try to exlplain one more time.

Justice is based on someone on the top saying which is right or wrong.
Religion is based on people putting words on the divine beings mouth, saying which is right or wrong.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: November 24, 2012, 03:27:20 pm »

that's not what I was referring to, it's almost like your both on seperate pages.

Micro is talking about people not doing bad things trying to justify it with religion (I think)

and you're talking about... something similar I think. What are you saying? people shouldn't do bad things? or that people are doing stuff and THINKING its good because its for religion?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 24, 2012, 03:28:54 pm »

Yes...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 24, 2012, 03:32:27 pm »

EDIT: that's what morals are 'ideas of good & evil' what exactly do you mean when you say "Doing bad things in the name of <X> thinking there good" ?

Ah sorry, I didn't realize this was directed at me. The God from the Bible is depicted as all knowing. People view him as all benevolent (don't know if it says he is in the Bible or not). The thing is, the Bible was written thousand of years ago and we now have a different understanding of the world. The Pope thought he was doing God's will and actually stated that not using protection would decrease the amount of aids in Africa. Obviously a foolish thing to do. But his belief that God knows what's best caused him to make a choice that probably killed thousands of people.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:34:40 pm by Micro102 »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 24, 2012, 03:36:53 pm »

What are they gonna do about it? Raid your home while your praying with rosaries and talking about bible stories and what lesson you learn from it?
Somebody's never watched The Da Vinci Code.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 24, 2012, 03:41:00 pm »

@Micro

Do you honestly believe that the pope did it because God said so? Your more religious than I thought. Did it ever occur to you that the church has other reasons?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 24, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »

@Micro

Do you honestly believe that the pope did it because God said so? Your more religious than I thought. Did it ever occur to you that the church has other reasons?
It did. But what could their intentions be? The death of africans? Are all of their intentions not religious regarding this? If that is the case, shouldn't such a system simply be removed? If religion doesn't benefit people but provides a way to hurt them, then why have it?
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 130