Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 181387 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Theology Discussion
« Reply #735 on: August 27, 2012, 08:32:58 am »

- Empiricism as an axiom is unfalsifiable
I reject this statement.  Or at least I think it's poorly defined enough to be problematic.

I do not see how this assumption is unfalsifiable - it makes a clear prediction as to the nature of the universe.  If reality is not objective or consistent we could easily notice when it behaves in radically inconsistent ways (note: quantum mechanics doesn't really count here - the outcome of individual events may be random, but if you take many events they conform to a consistent probability function).
Tadaa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism

You may reject and fail to see, but Kaijyuu is right: "unfalsifiable" is never a real argument here.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 27, 2012, 08:59:04 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_structures_in_Europe

Checkmate.

...Would you mind explaining the relevance of your link to what I said?  I'm pretty sure it falls under my rejection of solipsism as a relevant or interesting idea.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 27, 2012, 10:05:59 am »

Nothing like showing off nothing but worst case scenarios and wrapping it in a viciously sexist package

How exactly was that a "viciously sexist package"? Just because it was a woman who was wrong and a man who was right? I would think that closely going over what sex someone is so much is more sexist than just ignoring it where it isn't relevant.

The "ditzy religious woman, enlightened atheist man" situation is a pretty stereotypical one in online atheist culture. The attitudes surrounding it tend to be pretty bad. See: Reddit.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 27, 2012, 10:15:01 am »

Maybe. But you don't know that is the case. Like. At all. That's a pretty huge fucking assumption considering that 4/5 of the 'ditzy religious' people in that were male. The fact that one of them was female makes it sexiest?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 27, 2012, 11:00:56 am »

The attitudes surrounding it tend to be pretty bad. See: Reddit.
You can apply this sentence to anything. Reddit is a horrible place filled with horrible people. I browse it every day just to watch the ongoing trainwreck that is the Reddit community.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 27, 2012, 11:07:06 am »

Nothing like showing off nothing but worst case scenarios and wrapping it in a viciously sexist package

How exactly was that a "viciously sexist package"? Just because it was a woman who was wrong and a man who was right? I would think that closely going over what sex someone is so much is more sexist than just ignoring it where it isn't relevant.

The "ditzy religious woman, enlightened atheist man" situation is a pretty stereotypical one in online atheist culture. The attitudes surrounding it tend to be pretty bad. See: Reddit.
Other bit of it being that all the figures in power were male and the female was very unflatteringly presented. That, and gender was involved at all, really. Was there really any need for that?

Mostly just an offensive image. I'd prefer it if the folks ostensibly on my side of the argument would show a little more dignity than resorting to stuff like that, so it pisses me off (in a sense... more minor annoyance or distaste than actually becoming incensed, but still.) a bit on multiple points. The fairly blatant sexist undertone just made it worse :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:20 am »

To be honest, I require a bit more than "the person we're meant to disagree with in this comic is female" for a sexist undertone.  You could swap the gender of any character in that and there would be no change in the message at all.

It's weird you'd even say that this not sexist but stupid comic has sexist undertones when there are so many actually sexist Reddit comics out there.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 27, 2012, 11:19:35 am »

Other bit of it being that all the figures in power were male and the female was very unflatteringly presented. That, and gender was involved at all, really. Was there really any need for that?

Mostly just an offensive image. I'd prefer it if the folks ostensibly on my side of the argument would show a little more dignity than resorting to stuff like that, so it pisses me off (in a sense... more minor annoyance or distaste than actually becoming incensed, but still.) a bit on multiple points. The fairly blatant sexist undertone just made it worse :-\

I'm pretty sure you seeing it as hugely sexist is a sign of something there in your own psyche.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 27, 2012, 11:26:15 am »

Hell, I'm a feminist myself and about to become an officer in an equality organization here on campus and I don't find anything wrong with that. Surf macromeme for a bit and you'll see those are just the characters used in those comics and they're usually interchangeable much like in this case.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 27, 2012, 12:51:51 pm »

If you want to talk sexism, you should probably look at advertisements. This guy uses hyperbole a little much, but he raises some good points. Namely how it's all about aggressively throwing perceptions of extreme gender stereotypes all of the time.

Reddit pales in comparison.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 27, 2012, 12:55:49 pm »

...Would you mind explaining the relevance of your link to what I said?  I'm pretty sure it falls under my rejection of solipsism as a relevant or interesting idea.
Nah, I should've known not to reply to you again, your rejection to hear anything that doesn't fit your worldview makes any form of debate with you pretty much useless.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 27, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »

Yes, I am the bad guy here for asking you to explain your point.  I am very sorry Siquo.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 27, 2012, 02:46:35 pm »

Yes, I am the bad guy here for asking you to explain your point.  I am very sorry Siquo.
Good, that made me feel better  :D

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 30, 2012, 11:11:13 am »

1. Read rules of thread
2. Saw the first page of thread
3. Got bored
4. Jumped to last page of thread
5. Saw all rules broken and battered
6. Smiled :D
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 16, 2012, 09:16:05 pm »

Well now. I've looked up sooooo much stuff regarding athiesm vs thiesm. I have come to the conclusion that religion in general is dangerous. It's in politics and is corroding the constitution, it's in medicine and is preventing people from getting proper treatment or help, and it's in society, causing massive intolerance.

It does all this harm and yet doesn't do anything good that cannot be done by secular means.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 130