Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 181475 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Theology Discussion
« Reply #600 on: August 17, 2012, 10:40:44 am »

Or no one.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 17, 2012, 11:47:21 am »

Depends how you define "benevolent." There are plenty of ways to have all three, just that they all require God's morality to be different/superior/whatever to your own.
If “benevolent” was altered to mean any arbitrary system of morality that God might happen to have, to say “God is perfectly benevolent,” is not meaningful. “God has the moral standards that God has.”

Besides, no one means that when they say “benevolent”. It is a word with a well-established meaning.

In pictorial form.
Most people do care if the table is broken, but they grab the ball and insist that the table is not broken at all. “The table is perfect. You think it is broken because you do not understand the table.

Yes, we all have to presuppose things that we can't quite know for sure or things quickly dissolve into navel-gazing bullshit.
Unfortunately, many people seem to take this to mean that they can presuppose whatever they like. They do not realize that presuppositions are a necessary evil, and they should not be increased beyond what is necessary, which is what religion does.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 17, 2012, 12:40:21 pm »

Yes, I mentioned that but it seems like everyone got hung up on the apologist's presupposition, which was intended to show how bad a presupposition it is.

In case it wasn't as clear as I'd hoped, I wasn't supporting that presupposition.  Even disregarding the problem of evil, it's still not naturalistic or parsimonious.  Presuppositional apologetics is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  "If you just assume God exists, all our arguments will make sense."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:37:48 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 17, 2012, 07:38:50 pm »

The issue with that, though is that you can replace the word God with anything, and it shows you how hollow their arguments are.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28:25 pm »

That's what the Invisible Pink Unicorn is for.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 18, 2012, 03:22:58 am »

Why do ya'll think solipsism has been brought up like, 80 times? It's not because people actually want to advocate it, but rather that saying "you're making baseless assumptions" is not pointing out anything new. Of course they're making baseless assumptions. So are you. Yours aren't "better," either.

All this line of thinking points out is everyone has to have the same premises for any logical debate to take place. Which is kinda well... duh. Otherwise it's a circular argument as arguments are being built upon completely different and possibly exclusive bases.

You wanna effectively attack these arguments, rather than going "lol unfalsifiable"? Point out logical inconsistencies. Explain why they're advocating a unicorn that is both invisible and pink at the same time. Bring their cognitive dissonance to light. Any other approach is silly.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 18, 2012, 03:35:46 am »

Everyone knows the IPU is ridiculous. There's no way she could stand up against the awesome power of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 18, 2012, 06:12:23 am »

PSEUDOGOD FIGHT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 18, 2012, 07:35:21 am »

Why do ya'll think solipsism has been brought up like, 80 times? It's not because people actually want to advocate it, but rather that saying "you're making baseless assumptions" is not pointing out anything new. Of course they're making baseless assumptions. So are you. Yours aren't "better," either.
Wasn't the past page about how this false equivocation is wrong?  There's a difference between a fundamental assumption that could only be wrong through coincidences happening all the time (we don't share the same objective reality but the realities we experience just happen to be exactly the same to all intents and purposes) and an assumption of something which could never be proven wrong even if it is wrong.

You wanna effectively attack these arguments, rather than going "lol unfalsifiable"? Point out logical inconsistencies. Explain why they're advocating a unicorn that is both invisible and pink at the same time. Bring their cognitive dissonance to light. Any other approach is silly.
And then they tell you how dare you pick on my ideas, there's that other guy over there with ideas that are also flawed, also there are forms of my ideas which don't really say anything so they can't be contradictory so there.

It's the unbacked assumption that is the main problem.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 18, 2012, 03:35:41 pm »

You don't really need to have the same premises to debate somebody.  The strongest weapon against presuppositionalists is reductio ad absurdum and that can be done without sharing their presumptions.  Most of their arguments are just prestidigitation, carefully arranged word salad that looks impressive but falls apart as soon as you start poking it.
Shoes...

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 18, 2012, 04:16:24 pm »

Mine are not better; mine are fewer.

“We all assume an objective reality, therefore I can assume whatever I want,” is not valid reasoning, because, as I have said, we assume out of necessity, not because assumptions are good.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 24, 2012, 11:19:22 am »

Disclaimer: This is intended for Kaijyuu. :P I do not intend for anyone else to read this and believe that I actually feel this way. This post arose from a discussion in the 'Amazingly stupid things people say' thread, wherein I mentioned I had a vast collection of these pictures. Please, if you are religious, do not open the spoiler tag. Seriously. I'm not joking, there is a lot of potentially offensive material in there.

Just so I can say I warned you three times, this is your second warning. OFFENSIVE MATERIAL AHEAD. This post is not in the spirit of this thread or discussion and is not intended to be considered a legitmate argument/discussion piece. It has examples of strawman tactics, slander, and overexaggeration. I repeat, don't open the spoiler tags.

Final disclaimer: If you opened that, read it, and then got offended, I'm very sorry. I do not intend for you to be offended by this, but I wanted to present this position to Kaijyuu anyway. And, I did kind of warn you it was pretty offensive, so if you post back all pissed off, I'm going to call you an idiot for ignoring me. Just saying. Cuz, seriously, look at this post. It's ninety percent warning, one percent offensiveness.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 24, 2012, 11:34:26 am »

I'm not nearly as offended at the content as I am at the fact that you left me hanging as to the final nine percent of the post. Maybe that last nine percent was reserved for edits?

In all seriousness though, the second one relates to what Kaijyuu was saying. While we can argue until we're blue in the face as to the number and quality of assumptions, that doesn't tend to work when one side prizes evidence while the other holds faith as a virtue. There are more than enough inconsistencies in any religion to make an argument against it. Through doing this I have helped a few good friends with their beliefs, either galvanizing them through putting thought into them or removing them completely for an alternative.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:53 am »

The remaining nine percent is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, buried deep within a riddle.

And I basically believe the second one, and the eighth one. Why do I need to know the full and extensive geneology of a family of ancient dead Jewish people when you can just say, 'Hey, accept people for who they are, try to be a good person, don't try to bend others to your will, and seriously, try to be a good person.' I don't need omnipotent beings threatening me with metaphysical punishment to be a good person.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:14 am »

Most of those are anti-christian. What I pointed out in the other thread is that many new atheists seem to make the mistake that religion = Christianity. You can bash, destroy, and ridicule Christianity until it's a smoldering pile of rubble, but that will do squat in discrediting the concept of religion as a whole.

Your first link, for example: All his supporting points are attacking concepts promoted mainly by Christianity and a couple other major religions. But his conclusion is that ALL religion is incompatible with science, which is bogus. Deism's an excellent example of that, as it was created by Enlightenment scientists: A sentient something-or-other made the universe. No further assumptions or assertions past that. Absolutely nothing science can ever prove will go against it. For that religion (and infinite more possibilities), they are compatible.

Oh, and since I apparently missed some stuff from a while back, I'll respond to those:

Mine are not better; mine are fewer.
Okay.

“We all assume an objective reality, therefore I can assume whatever I want,” is not valid reasoning, because, as I have said, we assume out of necessity, not because assumptions are good.
Necessity for what? If we accept the possibility of not living in an actual reality, you have no necessity of dealing with it.

And that first part is a strawman. No, justification for assuming whatever we want is not the point I'm making. Quite the opposite, actually. The point I'm making is by simply interacting with the world around you, you're just as guilty of a bullshit, baseless assumption as any religious person is. So please, keep off the high horse. That's all.

You don't really need to have the same premises to debate somebody.
Yes you do, if you're attacking their conclusion. If you don't have the same premises, then you need to attack the premises you disagree with, by going and looking at the premises those premises are based on.

Debate 101 here. You either find out which fallacies they're using to reach an illogical conclusion, or you find out what basic ideas aren't shared between you. Anything else results in a fallacious argument.
The strongest weapon against presuppositionalists is reductio ad absurdum and that can be done without sharing their presumptions.
This is pretty much what I'm advocating. Point out why their presumptions are absurd or contradictory.

I'd avoid appealing to consequences, though. "Because that conclusion would be silly" isn't a strong argument, at least alone.

There's a difference between a fundamental assumption that could only be wrong through coincidences happening all the time (we don't share the same objective reality but the realities we experience just happen to be exactly the same to all intents and purposes) and an assumption of something which could never be proven wrong even if it is wrong.
There is, but an inductive argument cannot be made for empiricism since all the evidence supporting it is empirical. If you try to support it, you end up going in circles. It's built upon its own assumption. It's like asserting that someone is telling you the truth because they told you they were telling the truth.

Tell me, what does that line of thinking remind you of?

We're not disputing whether it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc. We're disputing whether the information you're receiving about that duck can be trusted to be valid.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:56:21 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 130