Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 181293 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Theology Discussion
« Reply #375 on: July 30, 2012, 11:13:34 am »

Anyway, didn't Jesus died to redeem us of our sin? So didn't he die so that gay could have all the steamy, dirty, slimy gay sex they want?
This doesn't make sense.  If Jesus were to pardon us of all sins forever that would equally leave murderers free to murder all they liked.

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 30, 2012, 11:32:25 am »

This doesn't make sense.
Well, we are talking about scripture..
Beside the those few "peace and love" parts, most of it is insane, at least seen with a modern set of morals and understanding of the world.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 30, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »

It's been a while, but wasn't Jesus' sacrifice specifically about redeeming humanity for their original sin, i.e.the apple affair?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 30, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »

the original sin idea is posthumous to christ, so that would be open to debate

LordExumius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 30, 2012, 06:51:08 pm »

So basically, he's forgiving us for something that never happened?

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, this Jesus.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 30, 2012, 06:56:39 pm »

When I was a Christian, this was my school of thought.

The Law of Moses still applies, but as Jesus said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.  If you haven't fulfilled the Law in its entirety (You haven't, it's impossible) then you aren't qualified to judge others for their failures. 

I was also of the school of thought that homosexuality was a mistranslation.  Notably, where laws against stuff like murder are explicit, there is no explicit condemnation of two men falling in love (In fact there's a good argument to be made that David and Jonathan were gay together).  It's always in some kind of context, usually involving shrine prostitution or rituals to Pagan gods.

As for teaching, I'm fine with people teaching others religion, including their kids.  Telling them not to proselytize is kind of silly and useless.  If they're being terroristic about it though, scaring the shit out of their kids and protesting people's funerals, that's not cool.

Remember:  Indoctrination is just education you don't like.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:59:49 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

LordExumius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 30, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »

What I especially hate is when parents tell their children "You are a Christian" or "You are a Muslim" and then proceed to indoctrinate them to believe that for the rest of their life. That is child abuse. Plain and simple. Children should be encouraged to think for themselves.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:12:27 pm by LordExumius »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 30, 2012, 07:14:46 pm »

I disagree. Indoctrination is inducting someone into a doctrine so that they won't leave it. If you educate someone properly, their doctrines and opinions will be flexible and reality-based instead of self-perpetuating.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 30, 2012, 07:18:39 pm »

Not really.  Education tends to be evidence based (and ultimately involves telling the students about that evidence) if it's about how the world is.  Passing on your personal faith is not.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 30, 2012, 07:25:23 pm »

Education is about objective things, indoctrination is about subjective things. I won't go into nitpicking what actually counts as "objective" and "subjective" though :P (depends on the axioms agreed upon beforehand)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 30, 2012, 07:51:00 pm »

Actually no, that's completely wrong.  The earth being flat or round is a matter of objective reality (in fact so is whether any given god exists), but if I taught my child that the earth is flat and that they had to believe it in spite of all evidence to the contrary that would be indoctrination.  You can also educate someone on subjective matters such as art, as long as you're teaching them how to make their work look better according to almost universally accepted subjective standards.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:57 pm »

Indoctrination is like a Sith Lord - it's dealing with absolutes.

LordExumius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 30, 2012, 07:56:28 pm »

I'm tempted to put up the image of the pope being compared to Emperor Palpatine.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:32 pm »

Actually no, that's completely wrong.  The earth being flat or round is a matter of objective reality (in fact so is whether any given god exists), but if I taught my child that the earth is flat and that they had to believe it in spite of all evidence to the contrary that would be indoctrination.  You can also educate someone on subjective matters such as art, as long as you're teaching them how to make their work look better according to almost universally accepted subjective standards.
Man, I really hate arguing semantics.

Your example does not disagree with what I said. An art teacher definitely can "educate" a student on those subjective standards, but they would be pointing out that these standards are subjective; IE, there are no hard rules, and all these standards and guidelines can and should be broken if appropriate. An art teacher can "indoctrinate" their students by trying to push hard rules on their students, saying there's one "right" way to do something.

So what Il Palazzo said: Indoctrination is teaching absolutes. My addendum would be "absolutes when applied to subjective concepts."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 30, 2012, 09:40:08 pm »

I'm tempted to put up the image of the pope being compared to Emperor Palpatine.
Pfft, a single image doesn't do that comparison justice. Just do a google image search on "Emperor Popetine."
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 130