Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180692 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Theology Discussion
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2012, 01:09:40 am »

Re: souls. This is what trips me up most of all. What is consciousness? Why do I "see" and "feel"? Is it a soul, or does everything of sufficient sophistication "see" and "feel"? If the latter, what's the turning point? Could a computer? Could a complex system like an ecosystem or economy?
Quote from: MrWiggles
Does it matter? There no separation between the physical brain and the conscience. There are direct correction between brain activity and our conscience. So even if their is a soul, its not a separate entity of us, but probably a descriptor of the process of a conscience.

And if it a purely physical, then other physical objects could have them as well.

The physical brain is the physical manifestation of our thoughts and "soul". The analogy that the mind is to the brain as the software is to the hardware is quite apt.

Without the hardware, the software cannot exist. The hardware can exist without the software but not do much. Together they make a whole.
The software hardware analogy is quite poor. Software works indifferent to the hardware used. If I install it on plethora of not identical computers, the software will work the same.

However, changes to the brain affect our conscience. For this analogy. If I installed MS Office Suit on my computer, then changed the motherboard, MS Office Suit, wouldn't then be MS Office Suit, but say, Quiken.

Comma patience have woken up with entirely different personalities. Sexual preference, likes dislikes, affinity for skills, all change.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:14:33 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 01:15:47 am »

You can can create an infinite number of scenarios, but that not exactly product. Empiricism does make some vast assumptions, but thats not a reason to simple disengage from it. Its productive and useful. Its assumption also seem to be holding true. There no reason to interject multitude of unlikely explanation when you derive to an explanation thats conforms to a useful model.
No reason except idle curiosity and desire to ask questions. That's good enough for most things, no?

I know what you're arguing. When a question's answer doesn't result in any change, there's no real point in asking it. "May as well not be true" is functionally the same as "is not true" (and vice versa). But they're still not equivalent. And anyway, it's good mental exercise.

And who knows? If the universe is a simulation, maybe we'll find the debug menu. Then this philosophizing about the unknowable won't be so "pointless."

Software works indifferent to the hardware used.
Incorrect. It only seems that way since we came up with a standardization. Software is represented in binary, and on the assembly level, different processors interpret that data in different ways. If you make a program for one processor it won't work on a different type.

If you throw a program assembled for processor A on processor B, it'll go wacky and crazy and probably not work at all. Brains are much more dynamic than that, but it's still very reasonable that they interpret data in different ways based on how they're assembled.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2012, 01:16:53 am »

Software cannot exist without a computer or other electronic device to run on or storage; therefore it is an apt statement.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2012, 01:18:50 am »

The real problem with the computer analogy is that the software and hardware of the human brain is the same thing. It's more like an embedded system than anything else.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2012, 01:21:00 am »

Quote from: MrWiggles link=topic=113483.msg3460510#msg3460510
Software works indifferent to the hardware used.
Incorrect. It only seems that way since we came up with a standardization. Software is represented in binary, and on the assembly level, different processors interpret that data in different ways. If you make a program for one processor it won't work on a different type.

If you throw a program assembled for processor A on processor B, it'll go wacky and crazy and probably not work at all. Brains are much more dynamic than that, but it's still very reasonable that they interpret data in different ways based on how they're assembled.
You're muddying the analogy.

The software in this case is the soul and trying to show that it separate from the machine, but interconnected/intereliant. Going into further detail of computer programming or the history of programming isn't useful for this analogy.

If you're going to go that far into detail, then the analogy is wrong, as brains are biological and computers aren't.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:58:23 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2012, 01:21:46 am »

Oh, very well.

We use this one until a better analogy can be found, then how's that?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2012, 01:22:26 am »

The real problem with the computer analogy is that the software and hardware of the human brain is the same thing. It's more like an embedded system than anything else.
Well, to be fair, the same applies to a computer. It's a bunch of transistors, and the program only exists insofar as the interactions between those bits carry on.

EDIT: I don't mean bit in the technical sense.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2012, 01:26:03 am »

Well, to be fair, the same applies to a computer. It's a bunch of transistors, and the program only exists insofar as the interactions between those bits carry on.

Well, why not? Our brains run on electrical pulses...what if they speak something like binary?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 01:27:42 am »

Well, why not? Our brains run on electrical pulses...what if they speak something like binary?

Makes sense. Our neurons fire by communicating an electrical signal; on or off; binary. But it's more complicated than that.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2012, 01:31:12 am »

Isn't the brain considered a computer by most biologists, anyway? It's just got billions of processors instead of our measly 2-16.

The point of contention is whether the brain is a "conduit" or self contained, and for that I'll pull the "it doesn't matter either way" card. Damage causing different behavior can be interpreted in a myriad of ways, all logically consistent with both theories.

Memory loss is probably the biggest point against it being a conduit. Why would your soul forget things? Though then again most theologies I know of promise perfect memory after death, so maybe it's stored in some extradimensional thingy. :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2012, 01:34:10 am »

Makes sense. Our neurons fire by communicating an electrical signal; on or off; binary. But it's more complicated than that.
It's really not too much more complex than that, if what I've read (and understood) is correct. Really, the only addition you can make to that statement is that the chemistry in the part of the brain receiving a signal changes how that signal is perceived (which is why hallucinogens work.)

Isn't the brain considered a computer by most biologists, anyway? It's just got billions of processors instead of our measly 2-16.
Sort of but not really. Each part of our brain works as processor, HDD and RAM all at once.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2012, 01:42:29 am »

I feel like you guys are taking this analogy way too far and will probably work against original intention (clarification). :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz021e8UMZc

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2012, 01:50:17 am »

Okay, so here's a different thought.

Does anyone look up at the night sky, realizing that each of those little specks of life is a place, probably thousands of places within that one little speck, and get emotional? I mean, really seeing the universe for as vast as it is, and realizing that you get to be part of that...does that resonate with all you guys as much as it does with me?

What if there are others out there, looking up at our little speck, and wondering if there's anyone out there, the same way we do?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2012, 01:52:34 am »

Me personally: I look up at the sky and try and comprehend the massive expanse that is the universe and then my brain hurts and I look away.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2012, 01:53:38 am »

That, at some level, makes me really sad. The universe is so beautiful...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 130