Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 181449 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Theology Discussion
« Reply #570 on: August 10, 2012, 05:15:13 am »

Aren't those axioms though?

A theory is an explanation for how observed events occur, whereas those are all assumptions made prior to any observations.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 10, 2012, 05:56:47 am »

Aren't those axioms though?

A theory is an explanation for how observed events occur, whereas those are all assumptions made prior to any observations.
Yeah, they are, but now there's people using the different definitions of "theory" and arguing. Semantics are important. They are "unfalsifiable claims" though.

Just like "God exists but you can't prove it". *ducks for cover*

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 10, 2012, 06:07:15 am »

Yeah, they are, but now there's people using the different definitions of "theory" and arguing.

Yes, but those people are wrong, and relying on a knowingly wrong definition to make a point is generally a sub-optimal strategy :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 10, 2012, 06:21:56 am »

Augh, that reminds me of when people say that evolution is 'just a theory'. Do they even know what theory means?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 10, 2012, 07:05:01 am »

It means a lot of things. Most people do not use the scientific definition. That is okay, but confusing the two is where stupidity happens.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 10, 2012, 08:42:35 am »

Actually, the current scientific consensus is one of a many-worlds theory, because it is the model where quantum interference is most easily explained, namely as interaction between similar universes. The equations match up, too. And the reasons that scientists assume true many-worlds theory instead of simulated many-worlds theory (where the universe simulates some parallel worlds, makes them interact, then picks one randomly) is because true many-worlds theory is simpler in terms of Kolmogorov complexity (the industrial-grade measure for scientific applications of Occam's Razor).

Refs? By wiki, most polls on it's acceptance place it's maybe second or third most popular, some quite a ways lower still. Most widely accepted I've seen is Copenhagen.

Well, I distinctly recall reading the consensus part on a page I have yet to remember, but I got taught the Copenhagen model at school, so I'll take that one back. But the Copenhagen model is to the MWI as the geocentric model is to the heliocentric one: It has lots of unnecessary complexity and fails to answer some questions (How can particles be in many places at once? Why does a wavefunction collapse when it's measured? What the hell constitutes a measurement? Why do planets move on these weird paths?), which can all be simply and easily explained by the other model (The universe splits into many slightly different universes at every point in time, which interact according to their proximity in configuration space).

By the way, random thought ahead: There is possibly an even simpler explanation for everything, namely that time is a smooth vector field over state space.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:44 pm »

It means a lot of things. Most people do not use the scientific definition. That is okay, but confusing the two is where stupidity happens.

It's really not okay to be using a colloquial definition of the word when the conversation is about science, though.

Actually, the current scientific consensus is one of a many-worlds theory, because it is the model where quantum interference is most easily explained, namely as interaction between similar universes. The equations match up, too. And the reasons that scientists assume true many-worlds theory instead of simulated many-worlds theory (where the universe simulates some parallel worlds, makes them interact, then picks one randomly) is because true many-worlds theory is simpler in terms of Kolmogorov complexity (the industrial-grade measure for scientific applications of Occam's Razor).

Refs? By wiki, most polls on it's acceptance place it's maybe second or third most popular, some quite a ways lower still. Most widely accepted I've seen is Copenhagen.

Well, I distinctly recall reading the consensus part on a page I have yet to remember, but I got taught the Copenhagen model at school, so I'll take that one back. But the Copenhagen model is to the MWI as the geocentric model is to the heliocentric one: It has lots of unnecessary complexity and fails to answer some questions (How can particles be in many places at once? Why does a wavefunction collapse when it's measured? What the hell constitutes a measurement? Why do planets move on these weird paths?), which can all be simply and easily explained by the other model (The universe splits into many slightly different universes at every point in time, which interact according to their proximity in configuration space).

I don't think it's fair to compare interpretations of quantum mechanics to theories regarding the position/movement of heavenly bodies. One of those sets comprises falsifiable, testable, useful theories about the universe, and the other does not. Interpretations of quantum mechanics are not theories, which is why they're called "interpretations". They're simply different ways of understanding and visualizing the described phenomena and mathematical realities involved.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 10, 2012, 12:16:20 pm »

Well, I distinctly recall reading the consensus part on a page I have yet to remember...
Given what you wrote, sounds like Less Wrong. Eliezer Yudkowsky announced that MWI is correct for reasons that, from a physicists point of view, don't hold any real weight. I'm also pretty sure he gets his maths completely wrong on two occasions, not really showing any actual understanding of quantum mechanics (an inherently mathematical subject) while dismissing quantum physicists as blinded by orthodoxy. MWI still has a number of problems while not offering any real positive benefits.

I really need to write a hell of a lot about both quantum mechanics and philosophy of science (and am tempted to do both) to even make the fundamental points about this debate, but I can make some broad claims here and hopefully they won't be taken the wrong way.

1) Most physicists use Copenhagen interpretation language but broadly subscribe to the shut up and calculate (SUAC) (not to be mistaken for the extreme SUAC which is a form of the Mathematical Universe Hypothesis (MUH) and can safely be ignored for now) school of thought, where the interpretation of what the equations of quantum mechanics mean is utterly irrelevant to the actual equations themselves. Any valid and complete interpretation of QM must give the same empirical and mathematical results, so what interpretation you subscribe to simply changes the language you use to refer to each feature. Copenhagen happens to be the easiest language to comprehend and teach in for most people, being only strongly counter-intuitive. MWI requires a massive mental shift and introduces a number of major pitfalls (not least confusing MWI with multiverse concepts) as well as being strongly counter-intuitive. I will say that MWI actually has a couple of areas it (slightly arguably) becomes a better language for talking about ideas in (quantum cosmology and computation/information, although these are also the areas with more advocates so part of that might just be it's the native language and it is far from required for either), but you really need to make sure you have gotten whoever you are talking to past those pitfalls and that they aren't mistaking it for an intuitive idea.

2) MWI does not, in my book, actually get rid of any of the problems of the Copenhagen interpretation in a convincing or satisfying manner. All of them are present in other forms (eg, world splitting vs waveform collapse). In fact it makes at least the measurement problem into a pretty well lethal issue; the nature of probability and derivation of the Born rule. Broadly speaking if you get rid of measurement you get rid of probability and have to re-insert it somehow. The attempts to do so have been broadly unconvincing and/or have often introduced new flaws or gross modifications to the physics (otherwise unphysical modifications to Schrödinger's equation...). Without a valid description of probability MWI is effectively an incomplete description of quantum mechanics, making it less valuable than more grossly philosophically troubling interpretations if you value such things.

3) Related to 2, MWI can actually describe a range of universes. Not talking about multiple worlds here, but rather families of universes. Think of it as the different possible configurations of dimensions in M-theory. There are a vast number of ways you can arrange such dimensions and each gives you a different physics. Some tiny subset describe universes where the physics is similar to ours. There is no absolute reason to privilege this subset, let alone any specific configuration. The only current reasoning we would see such physics from M-theory is anthropic and not wholly satisfactory without introducing extra ideas (birthing universes within a multiverse for example) to justify such an anthropic principle of universes.

The range of universes MWI can describe is related to the probability functions again. I have seen no convincing way of introducing probabilities that doesn't have some arbitrary basis for those probabilities, usually meaning you have to front-load the theory to get the right answers out (select the right geometry of dimensions to get our physics).  This is similarly unsatisfactory and still doesn't solve all the probability issues IMO.

4) The nature of MWI from a philosophical point of view is kinda complicated and confused. It is, in a sense, a naive realist interpretation; the formal mathematical description of the wavefunction is taken to be an exact and physical description of reality. This is sometimes given as a definition of MWI from both critics and advocates. Yet it does not hold the same philosophical values as other scientific realist descriptions (Bohmian mechanics, etc) which have significant things to say about realism vs locality, etc. MWI is often regarded as philosophically uninteresting in this regard, completely outside the realm of the ideas that can actually be explored within such debates or have influence on them in turn. Even when philosophical conclusions are drawn from it they are far from either required by or unique to the theory.

This is particularly significant because some of these philosophical debates are deeply intertwined with the evolution of quantum physics. The investigations into Bell's theorem are fundamentally philosophical but can be conducted using an optical table, laser, some mirrors and a lot of smarts. Spending time on non-MWI interpretations can lead to such investigations which return objective value. I don't see much value coming from MWI in this sense.

OK, I've spent quite a while on this and I'm still not satisfied with it. I think these points hold, although they could do with tightening up and refining somewhat (not to mention references out the wazoo), but I'm just going to post this and see what happens.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 10, 2012, 12:45:07 pm »

Personally, I think the entire clusterfuck that comprises the interpretations of quantum mechanics stems from the simple fact that we're dealing with things we simply can't predict accurately, only probabilistically. Of course that's going to throw a few wrenches into deterministic science, and lead to holes in our understanding that get filled by quasi-metaphysical interpretations of what's "really" going on, because we can't tell what's "really" going on in any meaningful, usable/predictive sense.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:54 pm »

Although I read lots of Less Wrong, I didn't even know until now that he wrote something about quantum theory. And the SUAC approach is also counterproductive: If people had stuck with the geocentrical model because it was precise enough, they would never have discovered large-scale gravity, simply because they wouldn't notice.
Also, I find the mental shifts in the Copenhagen model greater than in the MWI, but that is just my opinion.
Finally, the problems with both models that you mention can all be fixed with the random thought I had earlier, namely that time is a smooth vector field over state space. Quantum interference is the "smooth" part, and the Born rule does not get violated. The universe doesn't split up anymore, because all universes exist in state space. Essentially, time and state space form a dynamical system, with "now" being the moving point.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 10, 2012, 03:01:34 pm »

And the SUAC approach is also counterproductive: If people had stuck with the geocentrical model because it was precise enough, they would never have discovered large-scale gravity, simply because they wouldn't notice.
The comparison here doesn't work at all.

Going back to the philosophy of science points, all valid and complete interpretation of quantum mechanics are indistinguishable as far as empirical results go, with the few exceptions regarding Bell's inequalities (and there it's a question of which set is valid). In particularly MW (if taken as complete; again, debatable) and Copenhagen interpretations are perfectly indistinguishable.

The comparison here isn't between a geocentric and heliocentric model, but between, say, a scientific realist and a logical positivist reading applied to any given theory. The mechanics and equations are identical in either, but the underlying meaning of those equations and mechanics (not their function, but their philosophical status) are different. I doubt that many people who worked (or work) with classical mechanics gave (or give) a flying fuck which philosophical school was right about the nature of theory when they were doing their calculations.

'Shut up and calculate' is based on the idea that quantum mechanics works, and that using it is more important than having a complete philosophical explanation of how it works. I would do the same work and get the same results being a MWI advocate or Copenhagen devotee. Most physicists aren't going to devote much time to the philosophical arguments that literally can't have any influence on their work.
Finally, the problems with both models that you mention can all be fixed with the random thought I had earlier, namely that time is a smooth vector field over state space. Quantum interference is the "smooth" part, and the Born rule does not get violated. The universe doesn't split up anymore, because all universes exist in state space. Essentially, time and state space form a dynamical system, with "now" being the moving point.
I... I'm not what this actually means. Or if it means anything.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 10, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »

Most physicists use Copenhagen interpretation language but broadly subscribe to the shut up and calculate (SUAC)

<3 you for introducing a new phrase into my lexicon. Also, beautiful posts!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 11, 2012, 01:12:43 am »

palsch, what do you make of this paper by Robin Hanson? While the notion of large measure worlds destroying small measure worlds is pretty disturbing, that interpretation does have the advantage of avoiding both collaspes and new physics to explain Born probabilities. Obviously, it still needs experimentally verified, but it looks promising to me at least.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 11, 2012, 11:19:27 am »

palsch, what do you make of this paper by Robin Hanson? While the notion of large measure worlds destroying small measure worlds is pretty disturbing, that interpretation does have the advantage of avoiding both collaspes and new physics to explain Born probabilities. Obviously, it still needs experimentally verified, but it looks promising to me at least.
That paper actually has a pretty nice summary of the problem at the start.

Just from the paper, the 'mangling cut-off' is extremely arbitrary. It needs to be carefully tuned to some threshold of world size.

Intuitively it seems hard to keep the statistics working. He has to assume that decoherence between worlds isn't absolute and that they can still interfere with each other in order for larger worlds to mangle smaller ones. My problem with this should introduce strong local effects that will vary considerably in different events. The threshold is going to move depending on the event you are looking at, so deviating from the Born statistics at different times.

And arguably the level of interference after apparent decoherence may well be introducing new physics. Another aspect that would require extremely careful tuning, in balance with the mangling cut off.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 11, 2012, 05:05:20 pm »

I've got three for you, right here off of wikipedia: (1) that there is an objective reality shared by all rational observers; (2) that this objective reality is governed by natural laws; (3) that these laws can be discovered by means of systematic observation and experimentation. ;)
Those all seem perfectly falsifiable to me.  IE, if they were dramatically wrong we'd discover pretty quickly when none of our predictions work.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 130