Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180841 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1545 on: December 21, 2012, 12:29:49 am »

Why would you try to debate people then, and convey complex topics to support your argument when you have a terrible grasp of the english language?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #1546 on: December 21, 2012, 12:30:42 am »

Hey, doesn't stop people even when they have a terrible grasp on the topics they're trying to discuss.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: December 21, 2012, 12:33:00 am »

We act upon our wants. We cannot control our wants. Therefore we do not have free will.
We act upon our wants. SCIENCE! We still cannot control our wants. Therefore we do not have free will.
SCIENCE! We still act upon our wants. We cannot control our wants. Therefore we do not have free will.
We act upon our wants. We cannot control our wants. SCIENCE! Therefore we still do not have free will.
We act upon our wants. We cannot control our wants. Therefore we do not have free will. SCIENCE!
SCIENCE! We still act upon our wants. SCIENCE! We still cannot control our wants. SCIENCE! Therefore we still do not have free will. SCIENCE!

Huh.  I don't get it.  ;D

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: December 21, 2012, 12:49:41 am »

Free Will is a poorly defined concept and a lot of self-contradictory baggage. A better term would be "volition" along with a theory of how volition arises within humans, ie. either via a soul or via some process in the brain.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: December 21, 2012, 01:12:22 am »

He already went over this with everyone I thought? That English is his first language, but he is just terrible at it and refuses to try to get better. Pretty sure this conversation was had already at least.
Way to miss quote, my exact wording was i went through all of public school being taught how, to tried to get better for over TWO DECADES (longer then your 15 IIRC)
and this is where I am at
don't you EVER do that again or I will report you to the mods

I did not "refuse" i tried for two decades  to no avail, after two decades what more can I do?
I will not stand for someone actting like I never tried, i did LONGER then you HARDER then you
I've earned the right to say **** it, if it has not got better yet why belive it will with any more time?

Also guys this is free will
Free will is the ability of agents to make choices free from certain kinds of constraints. Historically, the constraint of dominant concern in philosophy has been determinism, which holds that the future is determined completely by preceding events

We act upon our wants. We cannot control our wants. Therefore we do not have free will.
Nothing at all says free will means you can do what ever you want to at all, thats you adding something that is not there

a distinction between freedom of will and freedom of action, that is, separating freedom of choice from the freedom to enact it.
God only promises free will, you can choice, but not always act on things

dont mistake it for anything less or more
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:16:28 am by Wolfy »
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: December 21, 2012, 01:16:29 am »

Cript was on your side, Wolfy. He was just trying to explain that this conversation had been had before and doesn't need to be had again. No reason to get hostile. Take a breath, man.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:58 am »

He keeps saying "did not try"
"refuse to try" etc acting like because he did it means I can, he even mentions "having no respect for me" in multiple posts

He is NOT on my side, he is spreading lies and making look like I never tried
I've said it mutiple times, (most of them directed at him, its in my sig that I've tried, he STILL keeps saying it) what more can  I get him to stop saying lies?
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: December 21, 2012, 01:25:37 am »

Is it horrible of me that I yelled out "that's what she said" like four different times in Wolfy's post back on the other page?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: December 21, 2012, 01:29:19 am »

Unfortunately, on the internet, there is no proof of trying without actual, visible growth. There's nothing there for us to judge except what we see, aside from taking your word for it, which some of us are reluctant to do for whatever reason. For some people, a statement of "I suck as this thing," is a statement of "Fuck it, I give up." Because there is no context or tone to go on (again, except your own word,) your sig is pretty much outright saying, "I am no longer attempting to better my spelling and grammar, so fuck it, and if you don't like it, fuck you." Most of us understand that certain subjects are difficult for some people, but being hostile about it is only going to widen the gap between you and those who are skeptical.

Please don't take things so personally. Please try to remember that we're just a bunch of semi-anonymous posters on a message board. I consider a lot of these people to be internet buddies, but they wouldn't know me from Joe on the street if we were to meet in real life, despite my logging nearly two and a half months on this particular corner of the internet. There really isn't any reason for you to take what any of us say so seriously that it upsets you. Just chill, bro.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:30 am »

So what am I sopoused to do when they do this? let them keep thinking I'm not trying, and let them say that so that others think it? and pretty soon no one will talk to me if they feel that way

I dont mind how they feel, I mind how they make others feel about me

And there IS reason, I've been told by that guy that my over two decades of work amounts to NOTHING
internet or no, that fucking burns (which is one reason I gave up cause even in real life people do that ALL THE TIME)

your trying your hardest and no matter what its NEVER good enough, your not trying, your making excuses, your a whiner, whats that say about my hardest? not a damn lot huh?

How would you feel to have that through your whole life, and basically being told "learn to spell" which I have not been able to do "or you cant be in society" (I'd bet 50$ many of you already ignore my posts, whats more is there is NOTHING i can do about it
And then there was all through grade school "if you dont learn to do this you will never get a job"
"you will neber be able to do X or this or that"

Your punishing me, ironing me for something I've been trying to fix my whole life and have had no luck, and be told its an "Excuse" or its a lie?

that hurts, that hurts a LOT

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:38:26 am by Wolfy »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: December 21, 2012, 01:38:12 am »

Also guys this is free will
Free will is the ability of agents to make choices free from certain kinds of constraints. Historically, the constraint of dominant concern in philosophy has been determinism, which holds that the future is determined completely by preceding events
Like I said - a lot of self-contradictory baggage. There's two possibilities. Either your choices are determined by some part of the world, or they are not. If they're predetermined then the Free part of free will doesn't exist. And if your actions aren't predetermined, then you make "choices" at random and don't have the Will part of free will.

The only coherent way to talk about decision making is to understand that you're a being who works deterministically and, as part of a deterministic process within you, can reflect upon your choices and determine to alter your self (ie. change your mind) such that you will choose differently than you would if you had not decided to change. Volition, choice and all of that are just expressions of you as a self-altering, deterministic process.

That said, why are we even discussing free will at all? Even if, hypothetically, we all agreed on what Free Will means and its implications regarding whether or not God is good or bad, that still doesn't address the actual topic of this thread: "Should you believe in God?"

God being a very very very good person does not make him more likely to exist than if he were a very very very bad person. Morality does not predict truth, truth predicts morality.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: December 21, 2012, 01:39:00 am »

Doublepost:

Wolfy, you should make a Life Advice post to discuss your ongoing spelling woes. This isn't that thread.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: December 21, 2012, 01:40:36 am »

Grek, you make a good point, but the reason why was they where trying to use this as "proof" that God dont exist.

We dont have truth when ti comes either way, both sides require faith, we are not at the level where we can prove or disprove God, so we cant, and so we talk about what we can, the belies styles and why people follow God or not

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: December 21, 2012, 02:02:50 am »

both sides require faith
Not really.
One side requires a massive amount of faith, the other requires that the person cannot accept something without evidence. It's not like believing something is a choice, it's just something that arises based on what a person knows (unless they try really hard at lying to themselves until they start to actually believe it; but I can't think of any place where that happens frequently.)
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: December 21, 2012, 02:32:12 am »

Yeah, as I've previously explained, you can get to "God almost certainly does not exist" from observation of the world plus two very basic premises that I'm confident that you (Wolfy) would agree with:

1. When considering which theory out of two different theories about how the world might be is probably true, you should always prefer less complicated theory to more complicated theory. In mathematical terms, P(A) ≥ P(A & B) for all events A and B.
2. The complexity of a theory is equal to the number of bits required to specify a perfect simulation of that theory in a universal Turing machine (ie. an idealized computer).

Because God is a very very complicated thing to simulate, all of the theories that specify God & the World are more complicated than theories that are just the World without simulating God. And this means that, unless we find evidence that rules out all of the theories without God that are less complex than the simplest non-ruled out theory with God, we should end up preferring a no-God theory to all of the God theories.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 130