Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180764 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1230 on: November 28, 2012, 12:51:20 pm »

calm down and cut the insults or stop arguing.
Woah now, no-one except you has been calling others Hitler-people.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 28, 2012, 12:57:50 pm »

Incidentally, how do the local religious fanatics explain the living standards of the west as opposed to their own?
The same as all the others. The "Evil" west is manipulating third world countries, setting them up against each other, and exploiting them for their resources.

And, if you look at recent history (Cold war), you can't really blame them for thinking that.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: November 28, 2012, 12:58:26 pm »

Why'd god let us do that again?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 28, 2012, 12:59:09 pm »

Why'd god let us do that again?

Because he's not the interventionist God you think him to be. Also, because you didn't listen.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 28, 2012, 01:03:47 pm »

is God all-knowing and all-powerful? Then, he must already know the future of the world before he created it. So it's all on his shoulders, all the suffering, everything.  An all-powerful and all-knowing God could have created the "finished" beings without the need for "trials" on Earth, just by thinking about it, God could see exactly what those beings would be, and create them already-finished, with implanted memories.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 28, 2012, 01:12:04 pm »

I think that's just descriptive of the topic - at least I don't feel even the slightest bit insulted.
is God all-knowing and all-powerful? Then, he must already know the future of the world before he created it. So it's all on his shoulders, all the suffering, everything.  An all-powerful and all-knowing God could have created the "finished" beings without the need for "trials" on Earth, just by thinking about it, God could see exactly what those beings would be, and create them already-finished, with implanted memories.
And you just discovered theodicy. Enjoy a complimentary SMBC that explains the various ways to answer it quite well:
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2292
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:18:17 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 28, 2012, 01:13:57 pm »

Are we truly human without pain, without suffering, without anger. A world without all these emotions might look like an utopia, but it might actually be a nightmare. A bleak distillment of all those things that make humanity great. (Note that I don't want  to justify any or all bad things in the world)

That being said, the Christian god certainly isn't the most powerfull God. He got nailed to a cross remember. But however, what if we assume that God is indeed all powerfull. WHat prevents him of having created use, exactly 5 seconds ago, with all our memories being completely false, and with none of what we have remembered actually having happened.

Even more, all this are, again, quasi litteral intrepretations. It's perfectly possible to believe in God/ Christianity/ [Insert religion here] without believing in Creationism, or that God actually physically exists as a being capable of interaction with this world.

Note: We did do this one already, several times.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 28, 2012, 01:19:02 pm »

According to fanatics, 10ebbor10.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 28, 2012, 03:18:34 pm »

I think that's just descriptive of the topic - at least I don't feel even the slightest bit insulted.

I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 28, 2012, 06:48:41 pm »

Are we truly human without pain, without suffering, without anger.

Yes.

Couldn't God have just created us with the ability to be "human" without these traits? It did define what "human" is, afterall.

That being said, the Christian god certainly isn't the most powerfull God.

Depends who you ask.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 28, 2012, 08:29:04 pm »

Are we truly human without pain, without suffering, without anger. A world without all these emotions might look like an utopia, but it might actually be a nightmare. A bleak distillment of all those things that make humanity great. (Note that I don't want  to justify any or all bad things in the world)

So basically what you're saying is that believing in God sends you to a nightmare, while turning your back on him sends you to a paradise relative to the "Bleak distillment of all those things that make humanity great"?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 29, 2012, 01:11:49 am »

A perfect world is indeed quite likely self-contradictory, but it is also not necessary for this to be a challenge to the 3 omnis. The only thing you need for that is the possibility of a better world, a possibility that I think is established by how people can sometimes succeed in working towards one.

And free will doesn't get you very far in justifying the state of the world, as there are plenty of bad events (tornados, floods, BEES) that are not caused by people.

That being said, the Christian god certainly isn't the most powerfull God. He got nailed to a cross remember.
Being nailed to a cross doesn't say anything about how powerful he is. It is a well established part of their doctrine that the cross bit was because he is into that sort of thing he chose to do it because it is a step in forgiving some humans in his bizarre system of god-logic.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: December 05, 2012, 08:17:51 am »

So, interesting topic I saw brought upon some youtube video somewhere. This guy said that Christianity is the only religion where you can't earn heaven, but you have to simply turn away from sin and trust in Jesus' sacrifice alone, and that's why it's better to believe in that religion.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: December 05, 2012, 08:20:15 am »

I'm pretty sure the Baghavad Gita or some other Hindu scripture says you'll break out of the cycle of reincarnation just by focusing on Krishna when you die

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: December 05, 2012, 08:55:20 am »

So, interesting topic I saw brought upon some youtube video somewhere. This guy said that Christianity is the only religion where you can't earn heaven, but you have to simply turn away from sin and trust in Jesus' sacrifice alone, and that's why it's better to believe in that religion.

<Snort through nose sound>

Good job I wasn't drinking at the time, or that would definitely have been a C|N>K moment.

Much apart from priestly absolutions, paid-for Indulgences and the like, in Christianity's case, I've a feeling[1] that he's probably a Christian by birth, through life, and almost entirely through association (and within a sub-set of one of Christianity's various flavours, at that) who just doesn't know much more than the "official line" as brought forth by his pastor/priest/vicar/whatever, and has never seriously looked into what any other creed thinks...

You gotta love those kind of people.  Well, except for WBC, for whom I general reserve either laughter or a facepalming whenever I hear of their various activities.

[1] Although don't care to trawl through YouTube to get an eyeball on the guy's full submission to substantiate myself.  So you're going to have to allow me this little assumption...
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 130