Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF2012: What are your favorite embark conditions?  (Read 4091 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
DF2012: What are your favorite embark conditions?
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »

Recently, I've finally had some time to play DF2012 in a sustained manner. I've familiarized myself with the basics of the update, and I think I'm ready for a full-fledged fort [to be toppled by unexpected circumstances]. Before I pledge myself to one particular area for a while, I'd like to hear what my fellow Bay-12ers prefer. What terrain/alignment/savagery/weather/resource combinations do you prefer most, and why?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012: What are your favorite embark conditions?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »

I prefer a more savage setting, so there's at least some worry of things killing my embark off. Deep and shallow metals, clay if I can have it... and I mod out aquifiers. I prefer having a brook, but a stream or maybe a river is fine as well. I've tried ocean a few times, and its not bad either.

Oh right, and it needs to be almost totally flat. I build aboveground myself, and its a hassle having to "flatten" the land.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:06:22 pm »

No rivers, sparse trees, year round freezing climate, no metals (except stuff like silver or gold, that's nice), untamed wilds, no aquifer, and a nearby necromancer tower. It sounds like a semi-challenge embark, but really most of it is actually to make things easier.

I like freezing areas, because nothing drives me up the wall like having dwarves run outside to get a drink when booze supplies dip, and I hate leaving burrows on all the time; no metals, because It's more fun to use goblinite and whatever you bring, except when it comes to furniture; untamed wilds, because I like seeing the different animal men; sparse trees, so I don't need to be constantly chopping them to keep caravan paths clear; and no aquifers, because they seem like pointless tedium.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 04:31:31 pm »

I like a world 3x3 embark with gentle hills, lots of trees, and no brook/river (for framerate purposes). I don't worry too much about metals cause you can eventually get some no matter what. Evil/Sinister is good for a challenge, but I have never done an embark that is 100% covered by sinister-ness.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »

Volcanoes.

Okay, I admit, I just started my first volcano fort on a world genned to have a minimum of 30 volcanoes.

But hey, magma moats and roast dwarf.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »

Mountains, forests and plains. Even better with a volcano. A trifecta is what I prefer. I like it really easy as well

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 06:36:41 pm »

If I'm going for a 30-50 year fort.

- Flat or mostly flat embark
- Shallow metals and deep metals
- Clay, preferably fire clay
- Sand is a must
- At least a moderate amount of trees
- 5-10 levels before the first cavern
- A shallow magma pipe in the 1st or 2nd cavern is ideal
- No aquifer
- Flux, somewhere, even if it's a marble layer 20-40Z below the surface
- Copper or iron ore is a must, although I can survive on rock / wood until I start buying out the caravans and melting it down

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:01:16 pm »

I like very, very savage areas with as much wild animals. Although i do Evil embarks alot, and they are quite fun, I dont like them for anything but the challenge.

So, baisicaly, I like savage areas, with as many wild animals mollesting my fort as possible, preferebly NOT an aquifer but i can deal with one. Id rather have Shallow and deep metals, clay, dirt, flux and a river, but I can adapt if i dont find a place like it. Being flat is really nice, trees are very important, but i can just embark with it if im going on a mountain. A Volcano is a huge bonus if i can get one.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:18:22 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:10:28 pm »

Flat.
No volcano.
Sourced surface water.
No aquifer.
Clay and sand are a bonus.
Some surface wood is good, and enough plants and pools to have a chance of snagging some rope reed early are nice too.
100 mineral scarcity, woo. I play slow enough to be able to feed a military with goblinite, so mostly I just like having the variety.
Flux.
Interesting cavern layouts are cool too. My current map has a long, mostly empty magma pipe in the lower cavern, and the cavern itself is tall and scraggly and doesn't join up in the middle. There are also a couple of random sinkholes that are just fissures in the rock, unconnected to anything else, and the water supply underground is a 4x2 pond at the bottom of a ravine.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 07:27:39 pm »

I prefer volcanoes and a freshwater lake.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 08:39:19 pm »

Elevation:

Evil: Ayup
Everything else: N/A

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »

100 mineral scarcity, woo. I play slow enough to be able to feed a military with goblinite, so mostly I just like having the variety.
Interesting point. On that note, I've another thought to add: What about mineral scarcity? Do you all find the added hardship of less available metals to be an interesting challenge, or simply tedious?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 10:09:25 pm »

I like freezing areas, because nothing drives me up the wall like having dwarves run outside to get a drink when booze supplies dip, and I hate leaving burrows on all the time;
Just a little note - you can thoroughly suppress drinkers and fishers (immigrants) by turning on Zone only drinking/fishing.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:41 pm »

Interesting point. On that note, I've another thought to add: What about mineral scarcity? Do you all find the added hardship of less available metals to be an interesting challenge, or simply tedious?

I like having lots of different metals too, I use mineral scarcity 1000. If you play in pocket worlds or young worlds metals not available at the embark site might be not available through trade. For example in my current fort I have plenty of most metals but no tin, which is used in a lot of alloys, and my civ has no access to it. I used fixmerchants to be able to order it from the humans, now I can do something with all that copper.

As for favorite embark conditions:

-3x3 in different biomes, part mountain, part something else
-river/brook is good, but I can deal without
-high savagery, rather neutral with a hint of good, no evil
-not flat (except in tundras), with some sort of hill or mountainside for the entrance
-decent amount of wood
-soil levels that can be made into tree farms
-fire clay is nice, sand is bonus as it can sometimes be found in the caverns
-flux
-plenty of different metals are nice, iron has priority though
-magma pipes are bonus, no volcano
-at least two caverns should not be dry
-no aquifer
-temperate climate or colder, warm is ok but not hot

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:28:24 pm »

Savage, either flat terrain or sheer cliffs with enough flat terrain, Good or Good and Evil, resource scarcity at 100 or so, clay, and sand. If I include a good or evil biome it better have the things that I'm expecting, i.e. unicorns, feather trees, bubble grass, and sun berries.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: [1] 2