Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Field Medic  (Read 3532 times)

Tripphippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Field Medic
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:14 am »

Has anybody seen this before? I have my chief med dwarf is setting this guys shoulder out in the caverns. I thought that medicine couldn't be performed without them being in a hospital zone bed, table, or traction bench. Anyways here's a pic as proof.
http://imgur.com/V86co

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Field Medic
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:04:21 am »

I usually can't even get one to do it while idle. I guess the solution is to dump the patient/doctor in the caverns...

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:40:17 am »

Do you have a hospital? He might be setting it in the field since he has no better place to do it.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Tripphippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:35:17 pm »

I have a hospital set up with plenty of beds places right next to a table and a traction bench on either side. I currently have 1 other guy in the hospital being treated, 1 guy that has had his pinky toe in traction for about 2 years, and 2 loungers using the beds. Plenty of plaster, thread, soap ect... hospital has been working as expected for a few years now. I've just never seen this before ever.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:09 pm »

If it's a simple injury (broken bone, cut) the doctor sets the bone in the field and they take him to the hospital

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:55:22 pm »

If it's a simple injury (broken bone, cut) the doctor sets the bone in the field and they take him to the hospital
Bones cannot be set outside of traction benches. Unless... Which bones are broken in the Dwarf that is getting medical treatment? Screen caps would help.

Tripphippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:23:16 pm »

Well it was the right shoulder receiving treatment. He was evaluated, sutured, set, and dressed all on that 1 square and now he is unhappily sparring. (he lost a wife and child and watched the kid rot recently) I think this may just be a 1 off glitch, hospital is working he just never went to a bed. Maybe he fell asleep down there and was treated because he was sleeping. I think he could have walked to the hospital himself but he did get the "saved recently" thought from the doctor.

(bug in the TrueType code makes those areas black, I'm assuming toady knows already)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 02:24:34 pm »

The real question is, can we indirectly weaponize it?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 02:27:43 pm »

Heal someone during a battle so they keep fighting?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 02:53:10 pm »

Yes
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »

That's really bizarre. One of bug, judging by the lack of frequency this is experienced. I'd put it on a par with doctors hauling several Dwarves at a time to the hospital.

Indirectly?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:45:40 pm »

Yes
\This is win. Nothing but win. Stop complaining.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 08:49:39 pm »

Indirectly?

They themselves are not the weapons, but their actions improve the functions of the weapon (In this case the milita.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 09:03:53 pm »

Indirectly?
They themselves are not the weapons, but their actions improve the functions of the weapon (In this case the milita.)
But surely there would be some way to directly weaponize this.

Like say... Setting their splints on fire.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »

Oh Dwarf Fortress community, how I love you  :P
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.
Pages: [1] 2