Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with cages and weapon traps  (Read 844 times)

Arrogancy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fun with cages and weapon traps
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:50:28 am »

So after losing a fort to a LOT more goblins than I had cage traps, I decided to supplement my trap line with some weapon traps.  In the process I discovered an interesting synergy between the traps.

When a goblin gets caught in a cage, the rest of his team usually stops for a second, as if concerned by the sudden presence of cages.  This happens 100% of the time if it's the leader - the minions don't want to abandon him unless there's a target nearby.

While they stand around getting their bearings, however, the weapon trap resets.

In this manner my two weapon traps (loaded, in fairness, with ten weapons apiece) ripped apart two goblin ambushes.  It was REALLY fun seeing them pause and then get instagibbed.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with cages and weapon traps
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:05:56 am »

Certainly you could do this, but it's not really necessary. Weapon traps are overpowered even on their own. I once had a fort where I was deliberately trying to use as little in the way of defenses as possible while I constructed an enormous flooding corridor. Two rows of traps containing a single serrated copper disk each beat two sieges. 6 disks. 160 goblins. Total bloodbath.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:33:47 pm »

Wow, I would bet.

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:05:52 pm »

i thought they jammed half the time if they succesfully kill anything

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:45:04 pm »

i thought they jammed half the time if they succesfully kill anything

depends on the quality of the mechanism, iirc.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »

I like to make a winding path with weapon traps every other space out over a deep pit. Those not torn to bits by traps jump out of the way and fall to their deaths. This means I don't even have to worry about the quality of weapons: I've defended against a siege of more than hundred goblins using only four traps filled with empty copper crossbows.

The important thing to remember is to not let your dwarves onto the path until all the goblins are completely dead, as they don't take heights any better.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 02:49:18 pm »

Wait for a necromancer to arive. Then you will see zombies multiplying.