Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about Vampires.  (Read 2434 times)

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Question about Vampires.
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:18:00 pm »

I think this guy is a vampire, but he just ate, after 3 seasons.
Do they fake, drinking and eating?
Or do civilians just have really high social skills,
BTW if it helps, the person is like, 84.
Is the person a vampire?
None of there deitys have cursed anyone.
If this is true, then i dont have 7, or more vampires. C:?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Vampires.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:54:51 pm »

They don't fake eating or drinking, but they do lie about their age. Social skills also aren't a real indicator, since many old migrants happen to have some random 'great' social skills.

Good indicators are a very long list of previously visited forts, white hair, and slowdown due to lack of booze. It's unlikely that you have 7 vampires, or even 2... they're rather rare in the latest version.

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:16 am »

Thank you, I was franticly locking them in there rooms,
But now, I know I have no vampires, and they are a problem.
Thank you.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:33:28 am »

This is what a vampire profile looks like.  They aren't all quite this over the top, I saved this one for posterity just because of how extreme it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:04:57 am »

Good indicators are a very long list of previously visited forts, white hair, and slowdown due to lack of booze.
White hair? So their hair continues to age but their skin doesn't (hair does use a different set of tags for age-related changes)? If that's true, any dwarf below the age of eighty* who has grey in their hair should be a vampire.

*according to their thoughts screen, anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 03:38:20 am »

Another good indicator is a lack of thoughts regarding food/hunger and drink/dehydration and sleeping. If you're screening dwarves for vampires look for dwarves with a small number of thoughts. Normal dwarves will have more because of the food/drink/sleep thoughts.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:04:33 am »

Good indicators are a very long list of previously visited forts, white hair, and slowdown due to lack of booze.
White hair? So their hair continues to age but their skin doesn't (hair does use a different set of tags for age-related changes)? If that's true, any dwarf below the age of eighty* who has grey in their hair should be a vampire.

In .31 my entire civilization was a race of Dwarves with white hair. So that might present a different set of problems :/

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:09:00 am »

In .31 my entire civilization was a race of Dwarves with white hair. So that might present a different set of problems :/

That's pretty cool. Imagine wave after wave of white-haired dwarves charging at you and your goblin brethren. That'd be terrifying, even before you see the candy axes waving above their heads.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:34 am »

Another good indicator is the lack of real relatives.

If you look at their family (real family, not friends) , you will see a lot of people, but nobody who is already in the fortress.
It's quite useless at the beginning of the fortress, but after few years it's a good indicator.
If you have already a suspicion, this can help you.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 09:31:01 am »

I smoked out my last vampire by looking in Dwarf Therapist at "number of skill levels".  Because it was a young fort, most dwarves had total skills in the range of 5-30 points.

The vampire immigrant, OTOH, had about 100 points across various skills.  So it stood out.

See also: Vampire Hunting
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112189.0

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 09:52:10 am »

Nearly all old vampires have white hair, but it is possible to have it without being a vampire, of course. More of a way of confirming than anything else. Young vampires may not show any of these signs, except for booze slowdown, making them particularly tricky.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 09:52:56 am »

No modding? 'White' isn't on the standard list of dwarven hair colours.

I smoked out my last vampire by looking in Dwarf Therapist at "number of skill levels".  Because it was a young fort, most dwarves had total skills in the range of 5-30 points.

The vampire immigrant, OTOH, had about 100 points across various skills.  So it stood out.
I had a dwarf like that turn up in the first autumn. Great skill in all three fishery labours and Expert in five social skills. Given the makeup of the civ (most dwarves have some military skill and civilian skills aren't high) I was certain he was a vampire despite only having one previous affiliation. So I turned on the option in DT, saw the purple background, and was happy. Then I remembered that I'd changed the broker highlighting to purple and the cursed highlighting to red, and was sad. In the end I borrowed somebody else's vampire.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 10:04:23 am »

The DT method definitely isn't foolproof, but it provided a short list of suspects if you don't want to walk through the entire unit list.

I had already identified the vampire (after he killed a sleeping child) by pausing the game and walking through the fort, looking at every single dwarf's thoughts.  Anyone who complained about sleep / food / drink was passed by.  It was tedious but effective.  Next time, I'll look at DT and check those suspects first.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:09:32 am »

You can also open the unit menu, and look at every dwarf one by one, with the "View" menu, without having to move on the map.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:59:36 am »

If I'm honest, the way I usually tell if someone's a vampire is if they're only 'happy' instead of being 'ecstatic'... since they lack thoughts related to the dining rooms, personal bedrooms, legendary meals, decadent booze, and what not, they hardly ever go beyond happy. When 120 other dwarves are all ecstatic, and Urist McSuspiciouslywelltravelled is only happy, he usually gets discovered before mercy killing murdering a victim.

Although lately I view the preferences of each migrant anyway, to decide what position they have, so only young vampires get through that filter.
Pages: [1] 2