Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335096 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #2295 on: October 13, 2012, 11:26:51 am »

Moon base.
Power. We could export electricity.
Hydrogen-3. Fusion's 20 years away and going to stay there a while, but H3 is still valuable.
Tourism. Need I say more?

As to ships: Start out focusing on cheapness, reliability, and fuel efficiency. Speed is more a factor of what orbits you use and how much you put into acceleration than anything.
Hydrogen 3 is not found on the moon, or can be made cheaper in labratories

Helium-3 is. Common mistake. Point is that one is used for first Gen fusion, the other for second gen.
My mistake. It's still present in lunar rocks in proportions of one to fifty parts per billion, and worth around $2,000 per liter. Processing lunar rock for He3 should prove profitable. Perhaps not enough to pay for the whole lunar base, but enough to make the industry a worthwhile addition to organic foods, power, and tourism.
This. But what if we were to suck Luna dry of helium 3, and there was none left to mine?
(And can that happen? I don't know that much about the moon.)
We can run out of water on earth if we use it all up, but it'll last us quite some time - I'd think the same applies to moon helium.
Actually, the Earth can't run out of water. Wether it rains into the ground, freezes, gets pissed out, or whatever, it always finds its way back into the sky as a cloud, and gets recycled again. The only exception is when you take it off the planet.
Cosmic radiation breaks down water in the athmosphere, and fractions of the hydrogen gas escape. Over time, Earth will lose it's water.

As for He-3 reserves, those should last for a thousand years.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: October 13, 2012, 01:50:48 pm »

Ah. I did not know that.
If it'll last for a thousand years, then it has my stamp of approval. It can serve as a source of major income until we moved on to the next colony.

But one more question: If we were to somehow find extraterrestrial life, whst would we do to them with them?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: October 13, 2012, 01:53:04 pm »

We'll try not to disturb anything that doesn't hurt us, and I'll study it. Further action will be decided from there.

It's a moot point, as no life has been found outside of the Terran biosphere.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: October 13, 2012, 01:58:36 pm »

Okay. One last thing before I go and be productive. What's my job, besides opinion giver?

I have devised a new rocket tek...
We make a giant bouncyball ans bounce our way into space

UUUUUUUUGGGGHHHH

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: October 13, 2012, 01:59:48 pm »

Moon base.
Hydrogen-3. Fusion's 20 years away and going to stay there a while, but H3 is still valuable.

As to ships: Start out focusing on cheapness, reliability, and fuel efficiency. Speed is more a factor of what orbits you use and how much you put into acceleration than anything.

Helium-3 is. Common mistake. Point is that one is used for first Gen fusion, the other for second gen.
My mistake. It's still present in lunar rocks in proportions of one to fifty parts per billion, and worth around $2,000 per liter. Processing lunar rock for He3 should prove profitable. Perhaps not enough to pay for the whole lunar base, but enough to make the industry a worthwhile addition to organic foods, power, and tourism.
This. But what if we were to suck Luna dry of helium 3, and there was none left to mine?
We can run out of water on earth if we use it all up, but it'll last us quite some time - I'd think the same applies to moon helium.
Actually, the Earth can't run out of water. Wether it rains into the ground, freezes, gets pissed out, or whatever, it always finds its way back into the sky as a cloud, and gets recycled again. The only exception is when you take it off the planet.
Cosmic radiation breaks down water in the athmosphere, and fractions of the hydrogen gas escape. Over time, Earth will lose it's water.

We could also use uo all hydrogen with fusion, or as rocket fuel, or... you get what I'm saying.
But yeah, geothermal power is a better example.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: October 13, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »

Moon base.

We could also use uo all hydrogen with fusion, or as rocket fuel, or... you get what I'm saying.
But yeah, geothermal power is a better example.
We don't have fusion. Colonies near gas giants will probably come first.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 13, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »

Fusion is not that far away. But yeah, running out of hydrogen through fusion is unlikely, as the Earth has gigantic amounts of water, and not all the isotopes are avaible in the correct quantities.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 13, 2012, 05:16:44 pm »

Okay. One last thing before I go and be productive. What's my job, besides opinion giver?

What skills do you have to offer?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 13, 2012, 05:18:35 pm »

Join the military. We cold use more people to fill in those positions.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 13, 2012, 10:10:56 pm »

I'm willing to do this if necessary, but I've always been more of a diplomat, since I'm good at debating 'n' stuff. I'm still a good shot with a sniper rifle. I know lots about computers, and a fair amount of chemistry.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 13, 2012, 10:45:50 pm »

I'm willing to do this if necessary, but I've always been more of a diplomat, since I'm good at debating 'n' stuff. I'm still a good shot with a sniper rifle. I know lots about computers, and a fair amount of chemistry.
Already have a diplomat. Engineering corps has leader, Debating should be lead to the politicians, and chemistry is for losers who aren't bureaucrats.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: October 13, 2012, 10:49:11 pm »

Oh, can I fill the position of shock trooper? Lupine Trouble shooters division, perhaps? :p

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: October 14, 2012, 12:09:09 am »

Already have a diplomat. Engineering corps has leader, Debating should be lead to the politicians, and chemistry is for losers who aren't bureaucrats.

There's no reason he could not work alongside said individuals should the need arise, however. After all, we cannot expect the leaders alone to do all the work of their respective divisions.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: October 14, 2012, 02:48:12 am »

I take offense to that last one! Fear my clouds of ETHICAL gas! (Now with a fresh minty taste and 20% more nerve damage!)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: October 14, 2012, 02:50:18 am »

I take offense to that last one! Fear my clouds of ETHICAL gas! (Now with a fresh minty taste and 20% more nerve damage!)

P.E.A.C.E Stamp of Approval! 100% ethical!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 192