Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335002 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #2190 on: September 30, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »

Hey, ethics are important. We don't want to end up like the filthy Groundies, now do we?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: September 30, 2012, 05:00:29 pm »

Just get some extremofiles.

Another problem might be if it is ethical to deploy these lifeforms on Mars. We might be destroying an entire ecosystem. We might kill the first extraterrestial live we ever meet.
Every survey and probe and robot has shown that there is no life on Mars bigger than a bacterium. Currently.
And since when are bacteria not important.
But since when do they need to be accounted for in moral decisions.
Besides, they could well infect us with something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: September 30, 2012, 05:07:43 pm »

Another problem might be if it is ethical to deploy these lifeforms on Mars. We might be destroying an entire ecosystem. We might kill the first extraterrestial live we ever meet.
Every survey and probe and robot has shown that there is no life on Mars bigger than a bacterium. Currently.
It's pretty unlikely that bacteria are going to have evolved to infect humans in a place where no humans exist.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: September 30, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »

I had an idea: Why not feed prisoners you want to execute to me?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: September 30, 2012, 05:20:10 pm »

Because. If we're executing large number of prisoners, The line will get backed up.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: September 30, 2012, 05:21:15 pm »

Because. If we're executing large number of prisoners, The line will get backed up.

I don't have to eat them right then per se.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: September 30, 2012, 05:25:21 pm »

Hey, ethics are important. We don't want to end up like the filthy Groundies, now do we?
...Ethics?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: September 30, 2012, 06:09:10 pm »

It's pretty unlikely that bacteria are going to have evolved to infect humans in a place where no humans exist.
That doesn't mean they won't have an effect on us, especially given the good probability that life on Earth came from Martian rocks or vise versa.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: September 30, 2012, 06:14:53 pm »

Yes, even if that's the case, there's something like a 3 billion year period for divergence to happen. And something like 2.5 billion of those years life existed as simple forms. Plenty of time for biochemistry to differentiate.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: September 30, 2012, 06:30:07 pm »

Yes, even if that's the case, there's something like a 3 billion year period for divergence to happen. And something like 2.5 billion of those years life existed as simple forms. Plenty of time for biochemistry to differentiate.
It doesn't need to be adapted to us to screw us up.

Think of us as Australia or any Pacific island, and the micro-organisms as cane toads, rats, or whatever.
Sig

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: September 30, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »

Think of us as Australia or any Pacific island, and the micro-organisms as cane toads, rats, or whatever.
The point is though, we're not. We're completely imcompatible. Moreover, this is simply moot, as any attempt to be in the same biome as mars would quickly lead to the death of either them or us.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: September 30, 2012, 06:36:53 pm »

That analogy kind of falls apart as there's a massive difference in the timescales involved.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: September 30, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »

The point is though, we're not. We're completely imcompatible. Moreover, this is simply moot, as any attempt to be in the same biome as mars would quickly lead to the death of either them or us.
Arsenic isn't biologically compatible with us, either. Nor is a crystal that grows in water. Both could kill us.
Let's make sure it's us, and not worry about the bacteria we might be killing.

That analogy kind of falls apart as there's a massive difference in the timescales involved.
I fail to see how the timescales matter, the entire point was saying that it doesn't need to be evolved to attack humans to endanger us.
Sig

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 01, 2012, 10:18:13 am »

Arsenic isn't biologically compatible with us, either. Nor is a crystal that grows in water. Both could kill us.
Let's make sure it's us, and not worry about the bacteria we might be killing.
I agree. If we made the test-tube baby program, I don't see why we haven't all come to this conclusion.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: October 01, 2012, 11:07:09 am »

Yeah, fuck random bacteria.

Wrex, would you care being put in the middle of a big maze and have people fed to you every X years?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 192