Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335030 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #2130 on: September 27, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »

In response to the last few posts:

Re: Giant robots and flinging stars: A robot big enough to have the Earth installed in it would most likely undergo gravitational collapse due to its own mass. And stars are kind of hard to grab a hold of, what with the not being solid and being insanely hot.

Re: Realistic time frame: Technological singularities, man.

Re: Burning down the house: I never said we should destroy the Earth. Just kind of not live there anymore.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: September 27, 2012, 06:11:50 pm »

Now the time has come for another random and pointless idea from
Super
Powered
Ritchus
Injenuity
Network
We need to make rocket fuel into (pause for dramatic effect) BOOZ!!! My hunch is that if we turn it into booz it will cause an awsome effect when ingested luanching the tastebuds out of the mouth both figrativly an litraly!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: September 27, 2012, 06:15:46 pm »

Or, y'know, melt everybody's organs horrifically.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: September 27, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »

Well if thats your mindset than yes!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: September 27, 2012, 06:19:00 pm »

In response to the last few posts:

Re: Giant robots and flinging stars: A robot big enough to have the Earth installed in it would most likely undergo gravitational collapse due to its own mass. And stars are kind of hard to grab a hold of, what with the not being solid and being insanely hot.

Re: Realistic time frame: Technological singularities, man.

Re: Burning down the house: I never said we should destroy the Earth. Just kind of not live there anymore.
1. Probably. I'd imagine that it would collapse into a non-robot ball of metal and exhaust pretty much all of the ferrous metals in the solar system, and then some.
2. Not likely to occur soon.
3. Well, others were.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: September 27, 2012, 06:24:57 pm »

Why would you hold the planet hostage? That never works.

Scenarios
1. Earth is not handed over. Moon crashes into Earth. All multi-cellular life driven extinct.
2. Earth is not handed over. UN calls your bluff. Space missiles head your way.
3. Earth is handed over. UN calls your bluff. More space missiles.
4. Earth is handed over. UN somehow does not call your bluff. You have somehow found a way to defend against every country on the planet's weapons. You win! Until it becomes apparent that your only method of ruling is "crash the moon into the earth if things go to shit", as you are woefully undermanned and lack the respect it takes to, well, run an entire planet full of disagreements and competition.
My wooden badge was delicious.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: September 27, 2012, 06:54:49 pm »

Scenarios
1. Earth is not handed over. Moon crashes into Earth. All multi-cellular life driven extinct.
4. Earth is handed over. UN somehow does not call your bluff. You have somehow found a way to defend against every country on the planet's weapons. You win! Until it becomes apparent that your only method of ruling is "crash the moon into the earth if things go to shit", as you are woefully undermanned and lack the respect it takes to, well, run an entire planet full of disagreements and competition.
Goomba makes excellent points. The solution is either take it by force, or kill all multi-cellular life and be done with it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: September 27, 2012, 07:00:54 pm »

Scenarios
Why not use good ol' massive state violence? It worked in the 20th century, it'll work in the 21st. Just nuke/gas/burn the first city that goes peep to hell and all others will remain silent; the trick is not pretending to be brutal, but being brutal.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: September 27, 2012, 07:04:13 pm »

I have an idea for what to do with the moon: Convert it into a Computronium node.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: September 27, 2012, 07:09:59 pm »

I have an idea for what to do with the moon: Convert it into a Computronium node.
Do you have a NanoBotSwarm? No? Then not yet.

Scenarios
Why not use good ol' massive state violence? It worked in the 20th century, it'll work in the 21st. Just nuke/gas/burn the first city that goes peep to hell and all others will remain silent; the trick is not pretending to be brutal, but being brutal.
Yes. I like any plan where I destroy millions of lives arbitrarily. I personally Favor Gas.

EDIT: Hey, that could be our next Poll! How to best wipeout a entire city. Mustard Gas, Nuke, Dirty Bomb, Fire, BioWeapon, Other Chemical weapon, Total Isolation Dome, Giant Laser.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:13:24 pm by misko27 »

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: September 27, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »

It's a long-term plan.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: September 27, 2012, 07:18:58 pm »

It's a long-term plan.
Yes, but by the time WE have nanobots, THEY'll have nanobots, therefore the point will be moot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: September 27, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »

Scenarios
Then don't use the moon. Global extinction of all life is a bit hard to localize.

It's a long-term plan.
Yes, but by the time WE have nanobots, THEY'll have nanobots, therefore the point will be moot.
Not necessarily, we seem to be planning to put a lot more resources into R&D than the groundhogs would.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: September 27, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »

That, and we're generally more progressive. The groundies (I'm calling them groundies from now on. Just because) will likely be more resistant to change due to the larger population containing reactionary elements.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: September 27, 2012, 08:06:11 pm »

I use groundhogs. It's got a nice background in classic sci-fi.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 192