Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335489 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #1800 on: September 10, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »

Rwanda, that's the other genocidal country!
...Sorry, that was random.

The Republic of Congo sounds good.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: September 10, 2012, 05:56:44 pm »

WE NEED A CINIMA
Because why the fuck not
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: September 10, 2012, 06:10:06 pm »

We can build a cinema ourselves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: September 10, 2012, 06:12:19 pm »

WE NEED A BROTHEL!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: September 10, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »

There's probably one somewhere in the Republic of Congo.
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: September 11, 2012, 12:09:18 am »

It must be near the equator, or YOU would have got rid of it from the list.
Equatorial Guinea may be smaller, but sometimes smaller is better.
It also isn't landlocked (or I'm thinking of somewhere else).
Has the President of the congo been 'elected' worst dictator of the year?
Also, the pres. also has one of the largest amounts of personal funds of a head of state. Lots of money up for grabs.
It's quite close, but not spot on. Also, there's a difference between being the "elected " worst dictator of the year, and officially having the worst living conditions in the entire world.

Quite well funded? They can't be better than the Taliban, and boy do those suck: There's a story about a battle where a few Americans were wounded and a couple Afghani soldiers killed. Taliban body count: Close to two hundred. And that was while having the coalition forces pinned down at a cliff for half a day without air or artillery  support.
And don't think the diamond money goes exclusively into their military actions: Lots of others are making money off that trade, too. A better cash cow would be drug trade, anyway. Or counterfeit rhino's horn, to be used in Chinese medicine!
Maybe they are. They have forced the UN and governement forces to retreat, multiple times. Once they even captured and hold the capital, untill the rebelion fell apart due to internal problems. They are quite disorganized for the moment, as their leader was captured quite recently.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: September 11, 2012, 06:27:05 am »

Then we must make our move!
Send a team of seven to set up a stronghold, and send a random number of migrants every few months as well as annual trade caravans. Use the stronghold as a center for magma cannons, mine cart shotguns, and so on and so forth. Let's see how they deal with THAT...
Sig

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: September 11, 2012, 07:25:02 am »

We would of course need the support of the locals. A good way to ensure that would be schools, employment, infrastructure projects etc.

Pros: Not having a guerilla movement in our area, more and more loyal soldiers, good PR
Cons: Expensive
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: September 11, 2012, 11:59:54 am »

Since logistics appears to have died,
Screw double posts. I demand attention.

Approximately how much money do we need to set up our polar test colony? How long should I leave the funding open? And what picture should I use?

And who has a bank account, seems fairly trustworthy, and and wants to be treasurer?
We need a lot.
Millions to billions to set up the lunar resort.

As far as I can see, this operation is split into several stages:

1: planning. The current stage. Needs no explaination.
2: buildup. We acquire money and resources to proceed with stage 3.
3: take over little known African country by disposing of hated dictator via military coup. Just what it says on the tin. current options: Equatorial Guinea, Congo.
4: launch space program, starting with unmanned & manned test flights and culminating in lunar resort.
5: expansion. Create secret underground military base under lunar resort. Set up colony on mars.
6: play DF. They'll never suspect a thing. We're also secretly building resources for.
7: war with terrans, which leads to..
8: world domination. *insert evil laugh here*
9: anything we want.
DISCUSS.
Equatorial Guinea    petroleum, natural gas, timber, gold, bauxite, diamonds, tantalum, sand and gravel, clay
From CIA world factbook.
Also, Dem. Rep. Of Congo has too good relations with US.
EDIT: taking off from the equator doesn't matter THAT much. It's just a bonus.
Think about it:
Cape Canaveral: miles away from equator.
Russia: miles away from equator.
Now, What are two of the major space faring countries?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:06:23 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: September 11, 2012, 12:19:51 pm »

In fact, it does. Russia launches from ESA bases nowadays, which are much closer to the Equator. This doubled their launch capacity. The ESA launches from French Guinea, which is even closer. Keep in mind that both budgets are much smaller, while they can still accomplish things that are on par with NASA, mostly due to the gain they get from their cheaper launches.

America launched from Cape Canaveral, which is as close to the Equator as you can get(whitout facing bad weather conditions). Russia used to/ still does launch from the Gobi Desert, which again, is quite close. The difference between Congo and Equatorial Guinea won't matter that much, maybe a few % of the launch weight. But given the amount of stuff we need to launch, this might result in millions of savings.

((Btw, for major spacefaring nations  I would go for NASA and ESA. Nasa has more than triple the budget, yet doesn't accomplish that much more.))

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #1810 on: September 11, 2012, 12:23:51 pm »

As someone who has been to the DRC and who also has family there:

I support this mission!

Won't be much of a problem if you know the right people. Only the east is really dangerous (and the country is seriously huge!)
So if you set up in the west safety won't be much of an issue. Funds would have to consider payment for soldiers, of course.
And serious bribe money.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: September 11, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

yay , my hard work has rewarded us with a recruit !
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:42 pm »

Alright, get weapons from the russians, bribe some people in the western part to set up camp, crush all resistance, be kind to the people. Sounds straightforward?

New question: What will be the standard weapon?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: September 11, 2012, 03:07:57 pm »

we could use M27 infantry rifles or M249 machine guns , they will have extreme power at gunning the enemies for a longer time , while AK47 will do at shorter distances .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 11, 2012, 03:41:24 pm »

We would of course need the support of the locals. A good way to ensure that would be schools, employment, infrastructure projects etc.

Pros: Not having a guerilla movement in our area, more and more loyal soldiers, good PR
Cons: Expensive
Pros outweigh cons. What good is saved money if we need to use it to hire mercenaries and deal with guerillas?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 192