Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335755 times)

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #1530 on: August 30, 2012, 08:15:57 pm »

8 ) Turn Phobos into a giant prison, then once enough prisoners are on it shoot it into the planet of their choosing, excluding Earth and Mars.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: August 30, 2012, 08:43:17 pm »

Call me biased, but I would rather trust my life to a human than autopilot any day.
Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins went to the moon with the computing power of a modern SMARTPHONE. The Apollo program had 1 major failure (Apollo 13) and no casualties. HUMANS CAN IMPROVISE.
They'd improvise with the manual override button, which has been brought up time and time again.
Call me pragmatic, but I would rather trust my life to a well-programmed autopilot once we get into space. Computers have problems with groundhogs' roads, what with their changeableness and how no one's really tried, but nothing beats a computer in lightning-fast ballistic calculations and keeping an eternally vigilant eye out for the one-in-a-trillion chance of a notable collision.

As for the person who put arse naked in the poll: seriously? In the bay12 forums? You might have well put a 'this poll is stupid' option.
Motion seconded, motion carried.

I propose that for our starting ventures (I.e. the lunar resort) we call ourselves Twelfth Bay Enterprises.
Before we declare independence.
Afterwards?

why do we need humans at all , if the autopilot is so good , why don't we make robots and send them instead of us .
Humans are needed for some things. For instance, making sure the robots don't hijack our take-over-the-world plans and create a robocracy.

i agree that autopilot cannot improvise , it only follows to what the programmer has programmed in it , unlike human it cannot think more than it has programmed and if it gets something really unexpected (a thing that the programmer didn't think of) like black hole in its path , it might say there is unidentified object , but it has no idea what to do .
Again, manual override. Also, I give it a better shot that the US government will give us a space-capable F-15 plane and tell us to settle Mars with it than us running into a black hole, ever.

humans are natural super computers .
Most of our natural processing power is "wasted" on such things as emotions and preventing our bodies from not working. And it's badly designed to begin with, thanks to how evolution works.

Mh, we could just place those bros in a extra security cell that can only be opened by the AI. If it is opened in another way, doors close off the corridor and it is filled with helium, so they suffocate in a high-pitched death.
Or, just put them into some kind of oubliette. If the AI doesn't extend the ladder, no one escapes the smooth and inward-curved pit of DOOM!, for instance. Then we can figure out what to do with them.
Or, just institute a standard kind of execution. Maybe five, if we want to let them choose.
Firing squad, electric chair, lethal injection, spaced, old age. Anyone picking the last option will be informed after they turn in the form that "Old Age" is the name of my newest pet project.

But yeah - a three strike rule. Your third proposal is rejected, and off to the woodchipper you go.
Great, now I need to name a pet project "Woodchipper."

You know guys, death sentences are something barbaric. Why don't we try out alternative sentences, like reeducation(I'm certain the mad science guys can help here), forced labour or if nessecery, expulsion (Note: rocket back to Earth will not be provided,)
Reeducation might be possible. Forced labor could be useful, if we kept them from sabotaging or stealing stuff. Exile? Nah, we'd be better off killing them. We don't want anyone who knows ANYTHING about our base and doesn't like us escaping to Terra, EVER. Unless "Expulsion" is the name of yet another of the pet projects you want me to make, of course.
The death penalty isn't barbaric, it's pragmatic. "We can't let this guy interact in human civilization anymore, let's see how he does in fertilizer civilization."

8 ) Turn Phobos into a giant prison, then once enough prisoners are on it shoot it into the planet of their choosing, excluding Earth and Mars.
Nah. Replace Phobos with an asteroid or a pet project called "Phobos," and you might have something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: August 30, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »

How about we construct a Human Atom smasher?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: August 30, 2012, 09:15:39 pm »

What, execute prisoners in a particle accelerator?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: August 30, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »

That sounds way too cool for me to deny.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: August 30, 2012, 10:25:00 pm »

As for the person who put arse naked in the poll: seriously? In the bay12 forums? You might have well put a 'this poll is stupid' option.
Motion denied. If needed I will enact the second mos popular option, but I refuse to restart the poll.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:50 pm »

Motion denied. If needed I will enact the second mos popular option, but I refuse to restart the poll.
Its winning, so you would think that more people like then then not  8)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41:11 pm »

Clothing by profession is catching up. my option is a distant third. No majority, and I can make up my own rules from there. No one wants naked people. And if they do, their never allowed to wear clothes. Not even on spacewalks.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: August 30, 2012, 10:43:04 pm »

Clothing by profession is catching up. my option is a distant third. No majority, and I can make up my own rules from there. No one wants naked people. And if they do, their never allowed to wear clothes. Not even on spacewalks.

Voted for naked just because you're such a sore loser. :P

And this derail is fucking hideous. Just saying. It's thirty-one pages at 50 posts per page, for a whopping total of 1550 posts of pure insanity.
I'm so proud of you guys.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: August 30, 2012, 10:45:48 pm »

Voted for naked just because you're such a sore loser. :P

And this derail is fucking hideous. Just saying. It's thirty-one pages at 50 posts per page, for a whopping total of 1550 posts of pure insanity.
I'm so proud of you guys.
WEll then, I guess clothing by professoin is winning. And hannslanda is going to show everyone his wiener.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: August 30, 2012, 10:49:01 pm »

So, baisicaly your saying, because we choose to live naked, we die if we take a step outside, because we are not allowed to wear clothes? I would object to that. I mean really, if I wear a towel out of the bathroom, does that mena im going to wear it to school? The normal "Uniform" would just be nude, it wouldent be used for everything. I would edit this so that if a job requires you to use a certain outfit, then your allowed to use it for that purpse.

I never liked this poll in the first place, I just did it because you requested. I don't like it because its a way of differentiating people. If one person likes nude, then they could be offending someone who, say, likes jumpsuits. Then fights break out over who's right. We don't want loyalty cascades within the Program.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: August 30, 2012, 11:04:53 pm »

So, baisicaly your saying, because we choose to live naked, we die if we take a step outside, because we are not allowed to wear clothes? I would object to that. I mean really, if I wear a towel out of the bathroom, does that mena im going to wear it to school? The normal "Uniform" would just be nude, it wouldent be used for everything. I would edit this so that if a job requires you to use a certain outfit, then your allowed to use it for that purpse.

I never liked this poll in the first place, I just did it because you requested. I don't like it because its a way of differentiating people. If one person likes nude, then they could be offending someone who, say, likes jumpsuits. Then fights break out over who's right. We don't want loyalty cascades within the Program.
I agree, if only because the idea of a nude station is suddenly becoming a possible option. I will use all money I have and every penny I caan borrow to prevent this. I'm not goint to be part of the first nudist colony on mars.

However, I can't think of a replacement. How about how good a idea of autopilot is? lots of debate on that, and its not possibly contentious.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: August 30, 2012, 11:18:38 pm »

Done and done.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: August 31, 2012, 02:59:27 am »

You know guys, death sentences are something barbaric. Why don't we try out alternative sentences, like reeducation(I'm certain the mad science guys can help here), forced labour or if nessecery, expulsion (Note: rocket back to Earth will not be provided,)

How about monday night rehabilitation?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I want this.
Who is going to construct dildozers?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: August 31, 2012, 04:10:43 am »

Autopilots can fail! If there is an error we never come to mars!

A starfleet captain is much cooler then an autopilot, and when we have battleships then we will also have captains to fly and shoot them!
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 192