Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335797 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #1500 on: August 30, 2012, 09:02:07 am »

Mh, we could just place those bros in a extra security cell that can only be opened by the AI. If it is opened in another way, doors close off the corridor and it is filled with helium, so they suffocate in a high-pitched death.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 30, 2012, 09:27:42 am »

Arena's of death used where prisoners fight for their freedom are just too cliche'd for me to handle.

I say one of the prisoners options be to be placed into a labyrinth filled with deadly traps and completely convoluted and bizarre puzzles, if they escape they can go free, it won't matter to us since we'll be filming the events for massive movie profits.

Earth law doesn't hold jurisdiction on mars. Cruel and unusual punishment is probably the ONLY thing you'll be subject to on mars.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: August 30, 2012, 10:07:40 am »

And yeah, a 5% casualty rate is within acceptable limits. The size of our mission however will need to be increased.
It also is my opinion that a sufficiently AI is preferrable to human control. Still an override should exist for cases of hard-or software failure, including AI faults resulting from human mistakes. Mybe a poll would be in order?
On the asteroid bit: 10ebbor10, I do not know much about flying through space, but it seems to me that you underestimate the speed of these rocks. Maybe a sort of cannon for the disintegration/deflection of asteroids would be more efficient than continuous evasive actions.

Anyone mind if I draft a constitution for after our independence?
Craft design is for a 1000 person mission, which can be expanded by adding extra craft, keeping it in circulatiation.

Space is large, we can see asteroids coming from a long way. There ain't much of them around too. I expect that 5 evasions over the entire lifetime of the ship can be considered much. They do however fly very fast. If we get such an asteroid on a direct collision course, and can't see it because it is, for example, too small, we will just have to deal with the result of the impact. The chance of that is neglible, and it's the main reason why the cargo is on the outside, to serve as a buffer. The people are one the inside. Shooting at things with a cannon is not going to help much, as they will only break apart and do more damage.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 30, 2012, 10:09:03 am »

Not shooting them apart, a low-power canon to change their course.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: August 30, 2012, 10:21:57 am »

Not shooting them apart, a low-power canon to change their course.
Not going to work. These things are pretty fast, and there's not enough space  or time for them to move out of the way. At best we can only hope to see them five minutes from impact(the small ones, of course). Which doesn't give us enough time to nudge them out of the way.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 30, 2012, 11:13:20 am »

A fleck of paint can smash through a spaceship. That's how fast they're going.
And there is a lot of space junk in orbit around Earth.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 30, 2012, 11:46:11 am »

A fleck of paint can smash through a spaceship. That's how fast they're going.
And there is a lot of space junk in orbit around Earth.
They can't. It's a grave exageration. It will do damage of course, but not enough to endanger the ship. Let's assume the fleck of paint weigths five grammes, and flies in a LEO orbit. An impact would have an energy of 85 Kilojoules, which is not that much. Since LEO is where most of the debris is situated, it's also the most likely place for a collision.

Also, a lot is relative. Enough to be dangerous, but not like it's cluttered. Luckily for us, all that stuff and it's orbits are in databases, allowing our autopilot to evade it all without any problems. Besides, The orbiter most likely won't even come within range of the debris, and stay safely in the higher orbits while other shuttles ferry up passengers.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 30, 2012, 04:33:11 pm »

"i want to die by falling on pluto with platinum space ship that menaces with spikes of gold and thermonuclear mustard biscuits"

Give them a miniature model of their fancy spaceship and their biscuits, then put them on a basic autopiloted ship heading to Pluto. If they try overriding the autopilot they'll just strand themselves in space.

"i want to die in a black hole"
Drop them off near the event horizon.

"i want to die in the dining hall by exploding to millions of pieces"
Build a basic dining hall out in the middle of a Martian desert, then blow it up.

"i want to die from booze"
Submerge their head in a bucket of it for the necessary amount of time.

"i want to die on a planet that is billion kilometres away from here"
Stick them in a stasis tube, put them on a basic autopiloted ship, then send them on their way. If they don't make it, it's the fault of their own planning.

"i want to die from drug addiction"

Krokodil.

"i want to die from very low doses of cyanide in the nuclear powerplant control room"
A very large amount of very low doses. Just keep some people in there to make sure they don't mess with anything.

"i want to die from high doses of radiation in the public dining hall"
Build a basic dining hall, name it "The Public Dining Hall", stick them in it, fill it with radiation and seal it.

"i want to die on a nuke that is falling on earth"
Threatens the lives of people other than themselves. Not allowed.

"i want to get killed by the president while his children are watching"
I would be honored, though I have no biological children. I could always adopt some bug larvae or something and raise them as my own, though.

"i want to die in the presidents bed with his wife from low doses of booze intoxication"
I don't really think you can die from getting buzzed, so that wouldn't be allowed either.

It's perfectly fine if the prisoners want to get clever, because it is most certainly a game that two can play.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 30, 2012, 04:45:28 pm »

after some time the booze ruins your liver and you die .
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 30, 2012, 05:07:04 pm »

But would the intake of alcohol be enough to cause liver failure before they died of some other cause? If not, it is not an acceptable form of execution.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 30, 2012, 05:14:13 pm »

Why don't we just force them to swallow eggs whole if they choose a punishment that gets rejected?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 30, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »

A punishment that will soon get rejected, for making punishments that get rejected?
Your argument is invalid.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 30, 2012, 05:19:43 pm »

How will it get rejected? It doesn't endanger others and it isn't fun.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 30, 2012, 05:20:30 pm »

people with strong neck will crack those eggs like your invalid arguments !
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 30, 2012, 05:26:34 pm »

Because having broken eggshells stuck in your esophagus is a much more preferable option.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 192