Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335798 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #1470 on: August 29, 2012, 10:41:16 pm »

Arse naked is winning by quite a bit.........
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: August 29, 2012, 10:44:03 pm »

And we still have no girls. This is not good...
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 29, 2012, 11:45:15 pm »

And we still have no girls. This is not good...
My thoughts exacaly. We need a solution to this problem ASAP. Someone get on that.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 30, 2012, 12:14:31 am »

For fuck's sake, we'll add a strip club/whore house to the lunar resort or some shit if it's that much of a concern. Now get your minds out of the gutters.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 30, 2012, 01:22:48 am »

For fuck's sake, we'll add a strip club/whore house to the lunar resort or some shit if it's that much of a concern. Now get your minds out of the gutters.
This is more urgent then you will ever know.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: August 30, 2012, 03:34:29 am »

That's probably true, considering my steep inclination toward antisexualism. Nevertheless, attempting to maintain a Mars colony in nothing but our birthday suits provides us with far more problems than a simple lack of nude women to mindlessly drool over. I smell sabotage...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 30, 2012, 03:43:07 am »

That's probably true, considering my steep inclination toward antisexualism. Nevertheless, attempting to maintain a Mars colony in nothing but our birthday suits provides us with far more problems than a simple lack of nude women to mindlessly drool over. I smell sabotage...
I think it's time to remember that our program is not a democrazy, and just cut the knot ourselves.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: August 30, 2012, 03:45:05 am »

Call me biased, but I would rather trust my life to a human than autopilot any day.
Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins went to the moon with the computing power of a modern SMARTPHONE. The Apollo program had 1 major failure (Apollo 13) and no casualties. HUMANS CAN IMPROVISE.
As for the person who put arse naked in the poll: seriously? In the bay12 forums? You might have well put a 'this poll is stupid' option.
I propose that for our starting ventures (I.e. the lunar resort) we call ourselves Twelfth Bay Enterprises.
Before we declare independence.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: August 30, 2012, 03:54:09 am »

Well, we WILL need the super AI on a ship. We could have simpler autopilot AI's for other ships, but i'm not assembling the entire thing on-site.

And yes, a lack of females is not good. Even if we arent arse-naked.
How are we going to solve this problem? We could clone ourselves and genetically modify our clones to be female, but that has some ethical problems.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 30, 2012, 03:58:28 am »

How are we going to solve this problem? We could clone ourselves and genetically modify our clones to be female, but that has some ethical problems.

*facedesk*

...Are you really going to make me go through all this again?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 30, 2012, 03:59:23 am »

Okay, we'll leave that topic alone if you dont want to discuss it.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 30, 2012, 04:02:28 am »

Test. Tube. Babies.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 30, 2012, 04:09:45 am »

Call me biased, but I would rather trust my life to a human than autopilot any day.
Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins went to the moon with the computing power of a modern SMARTPHONE. The Apollo program had 1 major failure (Apollo 13) and no casualties. HUMANS CAN IMPROVISE.
As for the person who put arse naked in the poll: seriously? In the bay12 forums? You might have well put a 'this poll is stupid' option.
I propose that for our starting ventures (I.e. the lunar resort) we call ourselves Twelfth Bay Enterprises.
Before we declare independence.
You're biased. A human pilot can never improvise fast enough. Besides, thanks to G forces and ionization due to orbital reentry, the pilots can't see or do a thing. A computer can run on GPS data, and radar. A human can't. Besides, the computer can, when there's a failure it can't cope with, give control to the humans. The humans however can't, because by the time they have reached the button they will have vapourized.

Take the following examples:

-The lander was hit by a meteor, leading to a partial failure of the control systems. The computer is fast enough to calculate the influencing forces and can use the engines and remaining control systems to stabilize the craft. Humans can only fiddle with the controls, and never get the required accuracy.

-The craft starts spinning. Humans are suffering from G forces, computer can stabilize without problems.

-An engine is damaged. The computer can rapidly calculate what chances to the flight path are needed to stabilize the ship, and can do so with pinpoint pressision.

For non spacecraft:
-When an airplane looses  hydraulics or part of a wing, it is possible to keep steering the plane by using the engines as control. Humans have only used this succesfully once or twice. A specially developped program can stabilize and land the plane nine times out of ten

-The only reason that there are still pilots in the cockpit is PR. It's within our capabilities to make an automated craft. In fact, during most emergencies, the autopilot is vital for succes. It's much better than humans at pulling planes out of a stall/ loop. In fact, there have been multiple crashes only to blame on the fact that the humans panicked. If they had just let go off the steering wheel, the autopilot would have stabilized.

-There have been countless crashes due to human error. There have only been a few that are to be blamed on the autopilot.(The pilots calibrating the autopilot wrong is human error, not the fault of the autopilot)

Also, you're overestimating the computing power of the apollo program. I'm pretty sure the NES was stronger. Also, that computer ran the autopilot when communications with Earth where interupted, and the lads back at Earth couldn't tell the astronauts what to do.

Well, we WILL need the super AI on a ship. We could have simpler autopilot AI's for other ships, but i'm not assembling the entire thing on-site.

Autopilot will probably not be AI, but a simpler, dedicated program. Nevertheless, a supercomputer has been build into the design. After all, it's going to need to maintain 250 forts at 100 FPS.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:13:28 am by 10ebbor10 »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 30, 2012, 04:21:07 am »

What i'm trying to say is that one ship will need to be specially modified so it can accomodate the AI, as it would be a pain in the ass to build the entire thing on-site.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 30, 2012, 04:25:04 am »

What i'm trying to say is that one ship will need to be specially modified so it can accomodate the AI, as it would be a pain in the ass to build the entire thing on-site.
Probably the first ship we sent then. I mean, that one also houses the robotic construction force.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 192