Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335865 times)

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #1455 on: August 29, 2012, 02:56:44 pm »

hmmm.... SPACE NINJA SUITS FOR EVERYONE !!!!!11111
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: August 29, 2012, 03:05:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Your lack of concern for life is unnerving. 20 people is practically the entire command team.

The poll means for while in base/ on terra. Obviously. I hope. Can't change votes unless waffle runs another poll.
hmmm.... SPACE NINJA SUITS japanese peasent/ stagehand costumes FOR EVERYONE !!!!!11111

Fixed.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: August 29, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »

SPACE SAMURAI SUITS FOR NOBLES !!!!1111

UNFORTUNATE ACCIDENTS FOR EVERYONE AGAINST MY IDEAS !!!!!111
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: August 29, 2012, 03:39:13 pm »

Which is why we won't go down together in one shuttle.

Btw, I'm considering a 5% fatality rate succesfull.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 29, 2012, 03:50:46 pm »

very convenient , instead of saying "Hi!" we could say "All hail king DZA , powerless figure called president and the prime minister Misko who is actually ruler here !".

I'd be careful with your words if I were you, as I could really go for some churros right now.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: August 29, 2012, 03:54:39 pm »

plot twist! *the evil twin brother of brainfreez has arrived*

1. Your lack of respect of the importance of life is concerning. Please report to the AI room for assimilation. Or Corai. Candy knife or Slade war hammer?
2. For command team, read ENTIRE POPULATION SO FAR.
3. 5% casualty rate is too high. TOO HIGH. We should use real pilots, not autopilots.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: August 29, 2012, 04:16:41 pm »

you really had to quote all my nonsense ?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: August 29, 2012, 04:33:25 pm »

1. Your lack of respect of the importance of life is concerning. Please report to the AI room for assimilation. Or Corai. Candy knife or Slade war hammer?
2. For command team, read ENTIRE POPULATION SO FAR.
3. 5% casualty rate is too high. TOO HIGH. We should use real pilots, not autopilots.
I'll increase the casuality rate to 20% then. Really, which one is going to work better. An autopilot that can make split second decisions, and monitor all instruments at the same time and that is specifically programmed to do this or a human who has been locked up in a tin can for 1,5 years and who for all purposes might as well be experiencing his first flight, as we can't train them for it except with simulators. Not saying we can't have pilots, but the autopilot has priority.

Also, might I remind you I'm the only one who has gotten any specific numbers on the table. A 5% casuality rate max on 1000 persons in an alien environnement is rather hard to do.

The above is the perfect reason why we should keep bureaucrats away from the drawing board. They are just going to kill us all with their smart ideas.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: August 29, 2012, 04:49:44 pm »

well autopilots can have bugs too and they cannot act on their own , without humans it might do crazy stuff because of the unpredictable space .

like instead of avoiding the asteroid , it will just go through it .
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:52:58 pm by brainfreez »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: August 29, 2012, 04:54:06 pm »

well autopilots can have bugs too and they cannot act on their own , without humans it might do crazy stuff because of the unpredictable space .

You can't evade asteroids. Humans can't see them coming, and neither can the robots. Just to fast. The slow ones are predictable, and their orbits can be calculated allowing evasive manouvers.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:00 pm »

it just seems a gigantic pain in the arse to create the super AI for a ship .

human will always be more agile in trouble situations .
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:58:17 pm by brainfreez »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: August 29, 2012, 05:03:21 pm »

Humans will always be to slow.

And we're not speaking about super AI. It needs to be able to 3 things.
    1. Follow the course
    2. Evade incoming objects. It doesn't matter what it is, if it's flying towards us we need to evade.
    3. Works it's way around damage. Probably by sending humans towards it.

I mean, the only reason why the last part of the shuttle landing sequence is human controlled is PR. It has fully flown on automatic, and did that better than the astronauts.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: August 29, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »

I just automatically assume all of his posts are inside of quotes. And that he is quoting the collective minds of millions of mad cows.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:55 pm »

Thanks to RL stuff, my posts will be sporadic from here on out for a while.

Quote from: WaffleEggnog

Edit;
I locked up the poll for now (no one liked my idea :(  ). Any ideas on what the next poll should be? Also, in case you havint noticed, I'm back from vacation, woooo.... So I'm going to be more involved then I have been for the last week. Sorry bout that span of inactivity!
I suggest uniforms. Options: Jumpsuits, Military garb, regular clothes, NINJA SUITS FOR ALL!!!, Clothing by profession, and arse naked.
I advise jumpsuits, with job-themed funny hats. Or just job-themed hats. The jumpsuits must have pockets and such, we don't want such horribly obvious things holding us back.
Naked is just stupid. It would make Terrans think we were nuts for all the wrong reasons, and be really chilly. Also, no pockets or even the barest modicum of protection from...anything.

Easy, we make a rule that their execution can not involve the death of anyone but themselves.
"I want to die of old age."
I suggest we just give 'em a list of options.

-------------begin message-------------
To: Helgoland
Subject: Governmental forces
I will quote the reasons why I think this is a poor idea from a message I sent to TopHat, due to it applying to you as well.
While your idea within your prior message would possibly work, I would prefer a man of a fair amount of sanity and morality in charge.  While I would still be in command of the department, I would still be subservient to yourself, a man of questionable sanity and morals.  Therefore, I would rather it be created as a separate organization so that it would be a more-sane mind that oversees the punishment of those who attempt to create chaos, and be more immune to corruption.
As you can see, I believe that there should be separate organizations to keep tabs upon each other to for the organizations to keep tabs and check upon others to prevent those from abusing power, something that I am against.  This also has a basis in fact that if a government abuses power, the citizens will revolt, leading to something similar to the French Revolution or the more recent Arab Spring.  Within a colony of the bay forum, the number of insane people would make abuse a poor idea indeed.
-------------end message-------------
-------------begin message-------------
To: Zanzetkuken The Great
Subject: Governmental forces
I believe that there should be separate organizations to keep tabs upon each other to for the organizations to keep tabs and check upon others to prevent those from abusing power, something that I am against.
The reasoning behind this statement is sound, and so I propose that we institute a complete set of checks and balances: Seperation of the legislative, the executive and the judicial branches, a written constitution and civilian control over military, police and intelligence agencies. Inside these agencies the principle of collegiality should be strictly adhered to.
For further inspiration for a written constitution I recommend the Roman Republic and the works of Kant and Hobbes. A committee needs to be put together to work out the details and finally present a draft to be approved through a general vote.
EDIT: Inspiration on the workings of the intelligence agencies and the secret police may be drawn from the soviet and fascist regimes of the past.
We need an official greeting/salute. Like "Heil Hitler", but less Nazi-y "Rotfront!" (that was a paramilitary communist group during the Weimar Republic; they had a cool salute). I propose:

All hail King and President DZA, ruler of all things rulable!
-------------end message-------------
(Damn I edited this thing :D )
BEGIN MESSAGE
How would the sciences fall into this? I'm fine with some regulation or guidance, but I'll be rather angry if my mad science gets shut down for any reason other than safety!
END MESSAGE

Ahem. The AI will probably be capable of steering ships and regulating traffic in general.
Pilots can at every time turn off the autopilot and fly manually.
Add in something about punishments for frivolous use of reaction mass and I fully agree.

Currently designing the frame for brainfreez's brain. I'm going to make it my personal butler and give him some rad dance moves.
He will also have a built-in jukebox.
I wouldn't want brainfreez as a butler any more than I would want Corai directing the cleaning crew. No offense, Corai, you just have an obsession with kleptomaniac minions.

I say we put the reactor in the center of our base, and put the AI room on top of it. Main control room goes on top of the AI room.
Fine by me.

A. Space is the most predictable environment possible. The chances of hitting an asteroid, or even accidentally encountering anything other than the odd dust speck or ludicrously rare pebble at a range close enough to be notable, is less than getting hit by lightning on the way to the place we're launching into space from. Unless we're trying to hit the asteroid, of course.
B. Any programmer who can't and doesn't program an autopilot to avoid such easily forseeable obstacles as an occasional asteroid in space as well or better than a human could (it's just a matter of not hitting it and not using too much reaction mass) will be fired and killed, without so much as the dignity of being fired out of a magma cannon. Seriously, you can't hide anything in space, and a human would be no better than a computer. The computer would need to tell the pilot about the asteroid! What do you do if the asteroid is approaching while the pilot is sleeping?
C. The pilot would have manual override, in case the autopilot went all GLaDOS on us.

A. I plan to make cephalopod processing units. Those will be easy to make AIs on.
B. Once we program an AI, it's as easy as copy-paste to make a second.
C. Humans are not superior to computers in troubled situations. In addition to computers' obvious advantages of speed, they are harder to confuse or corrupt; as long as we keep the central AIs away from direct online access and screen anything they plug into them, we should be fine. On the other hand, pilots can be sleepy, drunk, traitors, inexperienced, bad at math, depressed, and/or lazy. Name one of those computers can be.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: August 29, 2012, 10:21:25 pm »

Easy, we make a rule that their execution can not involve the death of anyone but themselves.
"I want to die of old age."
I suggest we just give 'em a list of options.
No, but DZA said that quality of treatment depends on creativity on design. If they want to spend the rest of their lives in a miserable forced labor camp, thats okay.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 192