Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 336135 times)

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #765 on: August 09, 2012, 08:57:34 am »

i would prefer throwing moon to the earth for ultimate destruction .

(you throw the moon !
the moon misses the earth !)

we could ally with the Nazis and when they would create our space ship we would reveal the Nazi location to the communists and while they would be fist-fighting we would escape with the space ships to the mars .
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:01:22 am by brainfreez »
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 09, 2012, 09:03:20 am »

Well, germans on the moon is an established trope by now, I guess.

"You call zis a computerr? Zis is a computerr! It can run a two hundred dwarf fort at twenty-two frames per second, mein Herr!"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:24 am »

Now, I'm not about to read 51 pages of space, but I think we need needlessly complicated death traps. I'm sure this topic has been brought up. We need things like literal swords of Damocles hanging around in orbit. Hell, here's what I'm thinking: we make colonies, right? Fill them up with people and cows and shit. Make them real big; the size of moons. Then, when somebody wants to fuck with us- BAM! We drop a colony on them, all Zeon style.

Someone looks at us funny? BAM! Colony for you.
Earth Federation all up on our shit? BAM! TWO COLONIES.
Is that a Gundam? Who cares? HERE'S A COLONY.

We need space colonies. People might die too. And cows. But whatever. BAM.
Death traps? If we're using them for war and not population reduction, good idea.
Needlessly complicated? Nah, when real lives are on the line we need to stick to practicality.
Colonies? No. We can find plenty of perfectly uninhabited rocks to drop onto Earth. Or just redirect a satelite's orbit so that it hits a city, that'll screw things up big time.

Am I reading this right? You're saying no to a needlessly complicated Rube Goldberg apparatus that will result in pointless casualties? Do you even Dwarf Fortress, my friend?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 09, 2012, 09:17:44 am »

i would prefer throwing moon to the earth for ultimate destruction .

(you throw the moon !
the moon misses the earth !)
"Throwing" Luna at Terra would be both needlessly destructive AND needlessly expensive! It would probably be cheaper to just take an asteroid around 100 miles long (assuming cigar-shaped or so; an asteroid 10 miles in diameter and roughly spherical wuld be bigger than the one that sashed the dinosaurs), and toss it somewhere in the U.S. That would wipe the biggest threat off the face of the Earth and also probably wipe everyone else out. That said, saying that we COULD drop Luna onto Terra would be a great psychological weapon...

we could ally with the Nazis and when they would create our space ship we would reveal the Nazi location to the communists and while they would be fist-fighting we would escape with the space ships to the mars .
Sounds good, but where would we get the Nazis?

Now, I'm not about to read 51 pages of space, but I think we need needlessly complicated death traps. I'm sure this topic has been brought up. We need things like literal swords of Damocles hanging around in orbit. Hell, here's what I'm thinking: we make colonies, right? Fill them up with people and cows and shit. Make them real big; the size of moons. Then, when somebody wants to fuck with us- BAM! We drop a colony on them, all Zeon style.

Someone looks at us funny? BAM! Colony for you.
Earth Federation all up on our shit? BAM! TWO COLONIES.
Is that a Gundam? Who cares? HERE'S A COLONY.

We need space colonies. People might die too. And cows. But whatever. BAM.
Death traps? If we're using them for war and not population reduction, good idea.
Needlessly complicated? Nah, when real lives are on the line we need to stick to practicality.
Colonies? No. We can find plenty of perfectly uninhabited rocks to drop onto Earth. Or just redirect a satelite's orbit so that it hits a city, that'll screw things up big time.

Am I reading this right? You're saying no to a needlessly complicated Rube Goldberg apparatus that will result in pointless casualties? Do you even Dwarf Fortress, my friend?
Yes, but DF dwarven lives are commodities one can obtain easily. Casualties on the Martian colonies would be difficult to replace, and also demoralizing to us while boosting the morale of the Terrans. Rube-Goldbergian devices are also wastes of resources. Overall, when waging a war (ESPECIALLY against a massively superior foe) or starting a colony (ESPECIALLY in an unknown type of region where any mistake has a high chance of death), you can't afford any kind of waste...and waddya know, our proposed project fits the ESPECIALLYs of both.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 09, 2012, 09:20:38 am »

a Latvian on mars : "wat is dis ? a komputer , oooo and it has a procesor ? Ya? oooo and wat dis is ? anoter komputer !? wy you need to(two) komputers? "
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 09, 2012, 09:36:25 am »

Yes, but DF dwarven lives are commodities one can obtain easily. Casualties on the Martian colonies would be difficult to replace, and also demoralizing to us while boosting the morale of the Terrans. Rube-Goldbergian devices are also wastes of resources. Overall, when waging a war (ESPECIALLY against a massively superior foe) or starting a colony (ESPECIALLY in an unknown type of region where any mistake has a high chance of death), you can't afford any kind of waste...and waddya know, our proposed project fits the ESPECIALLYs of both.

You're forgetting something. Do you think anybody would want to fuck with a force that:
a.) can field stuff like literal swords of Damocles (i.e., POINTY SPEARS AIMED AT OUR ENEMIES' HEADS) and gigantic colonies and so on with ease?
b.) and this is the important part, would anybody dare fuck with a force that can so willingly throw away the lives of their countrymen just to ensure the death of their enemies?

We are talking about total war. When worst comes to worst, we will have to make decisions that would ensure our superiority. The Earth Federation will not win. Look, I may have been watching Gundam a bit too much, but I have a point here, dammit! We'll just throw a few colonies at them; aim it at their capitals. The force of the impact will destroy them and cripple their morale greatly. They'll be all, "oh my god! they're willing to do that? Game over, man!" and just surrender. How do you propose we fight anyway? Conventional means? Spacecraft? No. We have to escalate the war as quickly as possible until we cross the threshold and they lose their appetite for destruction. We win by hitting them where it really hurts: their morality. We are SPACE, dammit! SPACE DOESN'T LOSE.

If you're so concerned about something like "the value of life", then fine, we'll evacuate the colonies first. Not as fun, but if it pleases you, sure. But I'm still proposing that we throw down colonies.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 09, 2012, 09:44:18 am »

You're forgetting something. Do you think anybody would want to fuck with a force that:
a.) can field stuff like literal swords of Damocles (i.e., POINTY SPEARS AIMED AT OUR ENEMIES' HEADS) and gigantic colonies and so on with ease?
b.) and this is the important part, would anybody dare fuck with a force that can so willingly throw away the lives of their countrymen just to ensure the death of their enemies?
We are talking about total war. When worst comes to worst, we will have to make decisions that would ensure our superiority. The Earth Federation will not win. Look, I may have been watching Gundam a bit too much, but I have a point here, dammit! We'll just throw a few colonies at them; aim it at their capitals. The force of the impact will destroy them and cripple their morale greatly. They'll be all, "oh my god! they're willing to do that? Game over, man!" and just surrender. How do you propose we fight anyway? Conventional means? Spacecraft? No. We have to escalate the war as quickly as possible until we cross the threshold and they lose their appetite for destruction. We win by hitting them where it really hurts: their morality. We are SPACE, dammit! SPACE DOESN'T LOSE.
If you're so concerned about something like "the value of life", then fine, we'll evacuate the colonies first. Not as fun, but if it pleases you, sure. But I'm still proposing that we throw down colonies.
Using actual colonies, even evacuated, is a waste of the resources used to make the space station, which likely includes valuable computers and life-support equipment and such. Much easier, and just as effective and terrifying, to toss an asteroid larger than that which wiped out the dinosaurs onto Terra. Or, heck, at sufficient velocity even a satellite or something can be devastating.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 09, 2012, 09:45:56 am »

for this we could use their satellites , we could spread our propaganda and throw some satellites on the biggest and most important cities as a warning .

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 09, 2012, 09:46:56 am »

We are SPACE, dammit! SPACE DOESN'T LOSE.
Thanks to your avatar I imagined all that in nyancat voice.  I bust out laughing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 09, 2012, 09:51:56 am »

Using actual colonies, even evacuated, is a waste of the resources used to make the space station, which likely includes valuable computers and life-support equipment and such. Much easier, and just as effective and terrifying, to toss an asteroid larger than that which wiped out the dinosaurs onto Terra. Or, heck, at sufficient velocity even a satellite or something can be devastating.
Ok, compromise: we make dummy colonies. They look like colonies, and when people from the decadent imperialist Earth Federation look at them, they think they're colonies, but actually they just house the shit-tier members of our glorious Martian society. Meanwhile our actual colonies are well... colonies.

Look, asteroids just don't have the same psychological impact. "Oh, boo hoo, they're throwing rocks at us. How scary. Nuke them." isn't the same as "Jesus Christ, man! They're willing to kill their own people! Clearly they are in the right about this. Let's just give up." With these dummy colonies, not only do we ensure that our enemies won't dare incur our ire, but we also get rid of useless space migrants, which, I'm sure, is something we're all familiar with.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 09, 2012, 10:11:01 am »

we could embark on moon , i guess they understand what would happen if they nuked the moon .

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 09, 2012, 10:51:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Okay, for one, psychological attacks like the one you propose are generally called terrorism, and generally do not have the intended effect. Usually, instead of breaking their will to fight, the terroristic attack actually redoubles the enemy's will to fight. It just pisses them off.
For two, we would be expending a hideous amount of time, effort, and urists to be hollowing out space rocks for use as habitable areas when we are just going to throw them at earth anyway. Why not skip the expensive part and just throw them at earth?
For three, we still haven't discussed how we are going to deal with the tripods. How are we going to accomplish anything when we're getting death ray'd every five seconds?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 09, 2012, 11:19:01 am »

Okay, for one, psychological attacks like the one you propose are generally called terrorism, and generally do not have the intended effect. Usually, instead of breaking their will to fight, the terroristic attack actually redoubles the enemy's will to fight. It just pisses them off.
For two, we would be expending a hideous amount of time, effort, and urists to be hollowing out space rocks for use as habitable areas when we are just going to throw them at earth anyway. Why not skip the expensive part and just throw them at earth?
For three, we still haven't discussed how we are going to deal with the tripods. How are we going to accomplish anything when we're getting death ray'd every five seconds?

It's not terrorism, it's hitting them so hard they give up. There's a difference. Dresden was terrorism. Hiroshima and Nagasaki was hitting them so hard they give up. What I'm proposing is Hiroshima amped up to 11.

I really don't understand why you guys are so opposed to this idea. It's the most Dwarven thing in the world. Is it not Dwarven enough? Maybe if we add magma...

As for the tripods, we do it like in the film: we sneeze on them until they die.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:44 am »

It's not terrorism, it's hitting them so hard they give up. There's a difference. Dresden was terrorism. Hiroshima and Nagasaki was hitting them so hard they give up. What I'm proposing is Hiroshima amped up to 11.

I really don't understand why you guys are so opposed to this idea. It's the most Dwarven thing in the world. Is it not Dwarven enough? Maybe if we add magma...

As for the tripods, we do it like in the film: we sneeze on them until they die.

Ah, point.

We are opposed to the putting valuable dorfs inside the giant doom rocks. Magma would be much more dwarven.

But we're on Mars! We'd be the ones getting sneezed on.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 09, 2012, 11:36:19 am »

Ok, compromise: we make dummy colonies. They look like colonies, and when people from the decadent imperialist Earth Federation look at them, they think they're colonies, but actually they just house the shit-tier members of our glorious Martian society. Meanwhile our actual colonies are well... colonies.

Look, asteroids just don't have the same psychological impact. "Oh, boo hoo, they're throwing rocks at us. How scary. Nuke them." isn't the same as "Jesus Christ, man! They're willing to kill their own people! Clearly they are in the right about this. Let's just give up." With these dummy colonies, not only do we ensure that our enemies won't dare incur our ire, but we also get rid of useless space migrants, which, I'm sure, is something we're all familiar with.
More like, "Oh, crap, they're throwing rocks BIGGER THAN THE ONE THAT KILLED THE DINOSAURS at us!"

And we're not "throwing rocks at them until they give up," we're "letting them know we can obliterate you if you don't agree with us." It worked for the U.S, didn't it?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 192