Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335352 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: How many people play DF? (Now the Bay12 Space program)
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2012, 02:42:18 pm »

1. Uhm, several algae species can already survive in Venus upper athmosphre. The only thing they need to do is turn co2 into oxygen, allowing us to use that rather than producing our own. Since algae are photosynthetic, no actual modification would be needed.

3.Even then. Most missions just swing back between Earth and moon, fly pass Mars, and then head to the outer system. Venus is almost never used.

4.Considering we're planning to stay in the upper athmosphere and not land on the surface,which is notorious for burning things to a crisp/ squashing them./ dissolving them, I don't see the probelm.

5. Who talked about shielding the planet. Our artificial magnetic field just needs to shield the base, nothing more,

6.Then again, who says you need to let the nukes get close. Nukes are not designed for athmospherical reentry, and intercepting them in their space flight is fairly easy.

7. I can do a rant about why astrology is utter nonsence too, but I don't want to derail the derail.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2012, 02:44:59 pm »

For Titan
   - Titan does not have it's own magnetic field, and is only part time protected by Saturn's magnetic field. (Which, btw, is slightly weaker than Earth's). So whenever it leaves that field, parts of the athmosphere are ionized.

Europa
 - Europa is in orbit around Jupiter, which has a magnetic field almost 20 times as strong as Earth. However, I'm not sure wherether this will mean it protects the moon.
However, Europa does have it's own magnetic field, most likely caused by interaction of Jupiters magnetic field with a conductive layer on Europa (most likely a massive salt water ocean)

For both I doubt they'll be able to whistand a direct hit by a mass ejection from the sun. (Rather then the constant of solar wind particles)
I have to defend these two.
You have to remember that solar radiation flux at any given point is inversely proportional to the distance squared, so for Europa the solar irradiation is 1/25th of what we get on Earth, while for Titan it's 1/100th. That includes solar wind and any large mass ejections.
With Saturn's magnetic field comparable to Earth's, and stretching just beyond Titan's orbit*, you don't have to worry about the solar wind any more than we do here. Jupiter's moons are even safer.
Additionally, both moons are tidally locked, so creating a base on the inward-facing side would additionally protect you from unhealthy rays from space, as you're protected by the satelite's bulk when at the nearest to the magnetopause.

* if you've got a source saying that Titan doesn't stay within the magnetoshphere of Saturn all the time, please share. My rusty knowledge is mostly reinforced by wiki at this point, so I can err.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2012, 03:04:02 pm »

OKAY!!! SHUT UP!!! Heres a idea. we do what loud whispers sugestted and send the clones to other places. Except venus, cause fuck that. Anyway, Wherever we eventuall pick, It needs to be defensible. I don't want to be so happy about attacking earth only to have a terran missile puncture the side of the room, sucking us out into space or poisining us all. In addition, defenses against infantry will be needed, as when they realize they can't nuke us away, infantry will be next, aircraft and tanks too. My reccomendation of genetically engineered war mount booze-blobs with tusks that feed on corpses
Maybe we could engineer the martians into some sort of primitive, booze based blob that eats rotten corpses, and then stick a tap onto the side of this creature. THEN, we coul dride said creature as mounts of war, and have a refreshing drink mid-battle, reducing ineffectiveness due to people running off to drink.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Could help, But we need a solution to counter strikes and invasion. Now, heres what i'm thinking;
1.  Cripple Earths space capabilities as previously mentioned.
2. Survive any counter missiles or long-range weaponry.
3. Prepare for Earth forces to land/dock wherever we are.
4. Cripple Terran Resources to drive them into the ground.
5. Wait.
6. When they can no longer defend themselves, Crush them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2012, 03:13:28 pm »

My source is the wiki. (Just use ctrl-f, on titan's page).

Titan heeft geen eigen magnetisch veld, en is als gevolg hiervan (vrijwel) direct blootgesteld aan de zonnewind wanneer hij gedurende korte tijd buiten de magnetosfeer van Saturnus treedt (al bleek in 2008 wel dat Titan dan resten van het magnetische veld van Saturnus vasthoudt[18]). De blootstelling aan de zonnewind kan leiden tot ionisatie van sommige moleculen in de bovenste lagen van de atmosfeer, waardoor deze aan de atmosfeer worden onttrokken.

In november 2007 werden sporen gevonden van negatieve ionen in Titans ionosfeer, waarvan de massa ca. 10.000 maal die van waterstof bedroeg. Deze zware ionen vallen vermoedelijk naar beneden en vormen zo een oranje laag. Hoewel de structuur van deze moleculen niet exact bekend is, zijn het vermoedelijk tholinen. Deze kunnen de basis vormen voor complexere verbindingen zoals polycyclische aromatische koolwaterstoffen[19].

FYI. That's dutch. You have to trust me on this one. Also, I brought up the solar flare weakening before, but we can't exclude a direct hit.

OKAY!!! SHUT UP!!! Heres a idea. we do what loud whispers sugestted and send the clones to other places. Except venus, cause fuck that. Anyway, Wherever we eventuall pick, It needs to be defensible. I don't want to be so happy about attacking earth only to have a terran missile puncture the side of the room, sucking us out into space or poisining us all. In addition, defenses against infantry will be needed, as when they realize they can't nuke us away, infantry will be next, aircraft and tanks too. My reccomendation of genetically engineered war mount booze-blobs with tusks that feed on corpses
Maybe we could engineer the martians into some sort of primitive, booze based blob that eats rotten corpses, and then stick a tap onto the side of this creature. THEN, we coul dride said creature as mounts of war, and have a refreshing drink mid-battle, reducing ineffectiveness due to people running off to drink.

Could help, But we need a solution to counter strikes and invasion. Now, heres what i'm thinking;
5. Wait.
You don't control this thread. Not anymore. (Evil laugh)

Why don't we just hijack a near Earth object. Besides defending against spacecraft is ludcricously easy. We just shoot a rocket in their general direction, and blow it up a few kilometers before it reaches them. Even a single pea sized object can kill a spacecraft.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2012, 03:17:44 pm »

if that pea sized object is going luridiculously fast.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2012, 03:19:15 pm »

if that pea sized object is going luridiculously fast.
Seeing it would be a frontal collision between 2 objects on a transplanetary course, I think ludricously fast does apply here.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2012, 03:20:08 pm »

Because do you know how hard it is to hijack near-earth objects? I prefer throwing large rocks at cape canaveral. As someone else said, the gravitational force will accerate it to deadly levels. If we make it very thin and very heavy. we can bypass terminal velocity.

And I know I don't control this thread, I just want to keep us on the same path as the people who came up with the test-tube babies.

also, you're both right, And, if we make lots of debris in earths orbit, it will be like a huge minefield. At those speeds, a astronaut's glove's thumb hits with the force of a grenade.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:25 pm »

Because do you know how hard it is to hijack near-earth objects? I prefer throwing large rocks at cape canaveral. As someone else said, the gravitational force will accerate it to deadly levels. If we make it very thin and very heavy. we can bypass terminal velocity.

And I know I don't control this thread, I just want to keep us on the same path as the people who came up with the test-tube babies.

also, you're both right, And, if we make lots of debris in earths orbit, it will be like a huge minefield. At those speeds, a astronaut's glove's thumb hits with the force of a grenade.

It's not that hard. I mean, you just have to get lucky and find a decent near Earth object. (Btw, throwing large rocks at cape canaveral counts as hijacking near earth objects, albeit smaller ones. Unless you're talking about the rod from god plan.)

Fun fact about the Earth debris layer, most of the material is there already. We just need to shoot the correct sattelites, and then watch the carnage.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »

1. Uhm, several algae species can already survive in Venus upper athmosphre. The only thing they need to do is turn co2 into oxygen, allowing us to use that rather than producing our own. Since algae are photosynthetic, no actual modification would be needed.
Is there that much sulfur in our atmosphere? Is the acid in the air that little of an issue?

3.Even then. Most missions just swing back between Earth and moon, fly pass Mars, and then head to the outer system. Venus is almost never used.
Seeing as my sources were diagrams in magazines I read years ago and/or in-school stuff, I won't argue more on this point. Let me just repeat: It would be an advantage, and you don't hand out advantages when you're the underdog.

4.Considering we're planning to stay in the upper athmosphere and not land on the surface,which is notorious for burning things to a crisp/ squashing them./ dissolving them, I don't see the probelm.
The problem is that the groundhogs could drop NUKES on us!

5. Who talked about shielding the planet. Our artificial magnetic field just needs to shield the base, nothing more,
Great, another thing to go wrong!

6.Then again, who says you need to let the nukes get close. Nukes are not designed for athmospherical reentry, and intercepting them in their space flight is fairly easy.
I was assuming that they'd send warships our way and fire them then. Like we would have to. Because they're not idiots.

7. I can do a rant about why astrology is utter nonsence too, but I don't want to derail the derail.
That was actually my point.

First off, cloning enough of us to send all of us to a bunch of different places would be difficult, horribly expensive, and IIRC, illegal. Second off, to be honest, if we don't put a mile or so of rock between us and outer space, we're screwed if the groundhogs decide to toss a nuke at us. Therefore, we focus on either not pissing the groundhogs off, not being where they send the nukes, or getting a ton of rock between space and the vital systems. Infantry could be an issue, but if we're smart we can use the terrain of the place WE build to make them fight on our terms.

5. Wait.
1. This could be important. We need a way to disable Cape Canaveral, the other place in the U.S. that launches spacecraft, and the equivalents in China, Russia, and so forth. All before they can retaliate. This means a fast, coordinated strike, probably involving nukes of our own. This is assuming that Earthlings don't get a lot more space capabilities between now and when we attack, and seeing as we're assuming we can get a colony up and running on Luna, Mars, or wherever, that's not an assumption we can make. So...crap.
2. Space guerrilla warfare. Modify the bits requiring camouflage, and you're halfway there.
3. Vital.
4. Good luck. Unless you mean "Bomb their oil fields, titanium mines, and such while their warships are hunting us," in which case, this'll be tougher than Step 1, because there'll be more targets, more awareness on the government's part, and a LOT more civilian casualties. This last one will be important--if people want us dead, the governments of the world will do their best to make us DEAD.
5. Optional.
6. Required.

Start with unpopulated areas, to scare them. If they do what we want, no (non-retarded, if we warn them) civilian casualties, so we aren't as much of villains.

Which is as much boon as bane. Also, it would take a HELL of a lot of debris to surround the Earth.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2012, 03:25:26 pm »

FYI. That's dutch. You have to trust me on this one. Also, I brought up the solar flare weakening before, but we can't exclude a direct hit.
Then again, this is probably the article it's linking to:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/features/feature20080911.cfm
which states that even during its excursions outside the magnetosphere, it doesn't exactly get stripped of its influence.

Anyway, I wouldn't just write it off, or at least not at the basis of magnetosphere. It might not be "just right", but it sure is better than in most other places.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2012, 03:42:35 pm »

Also, whoever, said we need to make a mod (think it was greatwyrm),  I concur. I can easily imagine this. It'd probably have to be on mars, since we would need life-forms, and the magma. But yeah, you could also add in my booze-beast, firearms, some sort of rover for vehicle. Wow, this could be seriously cool.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2012, 03:54:33 pm »

Also, whoever, said we need to make a mod (think it was greatwyrm),  I concur.
Yup, that was me.

I can easily imagine this. It'd probably have to be on mars, since we would need life-forms, and the magma. But yeah, you could also add in my booze-beast, firearms, some sort of rover for vehicle. Wow, this could be seriously cool.
Also, Mars seems to be the top choice on my poll for some reason. A mod could be made for a "Floating Platform over Terraformed Venus," but Mars sounds better. As to the rest...how many of us have a clue of how to make firearms? And what would the enemy civs be? I can see "Terran Infantry," and ideally something to represent being nuked from orbit (it's the only way to be sure). Maybe another enemy civ that sends thieves which explode on contact with physics and devastate the whole surface...somehow?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »

There is a mod for black powder firearms, Just use those as a template?

And if it exists.. I am sure someone could mod it in..

I know someone added creepers from Mine-craft, Changing that around would probably work.
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2012, 04:01:39 pm »

There is a mod for black powder firearms, Just use those as a template?

And if it exists.. I am sure someone could mod it in..

I know someone added creepers from Mine-craft, Changing that around would probably work.

At least two people mad ecreeper mods. What I meant was, given a supply of iron ore, magma, and so forth, would you know how to make a gun?
Sig

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2012, 04:04:38 pm »

I would try..

!Science! has challenged me many times before..

Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 192