Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 335364 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: How many people play DF? (Now the Bay12 Space program)
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2012, 10:12:36 pm »

Funding? Permits? The hivemind wills, and we obey.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2012, 10:48:41 pm »

How will we get rockets, colony-building equipment, agricultural materials, genetic engineering equipment, etc? Space colonization isn't just a "pick and an anvil" deal, you know.

Something just occurred to me: Instead of colonizing another world, build a spaceship or -station capable of indefinitely sustaining human life. Like a nuclear submarine, but more self-sufficient. Thoughts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:35 pm »

We realize that its not a pick and anvil affair, but the primary plan is to utilze all the resouces available to everyone in DFm and in addition use some hapless government (the chinese might be willing, they want to expand their space agancy) for more funds and materials, then declare ourselves independant as soon as we get there.

Alos, Thought experiment? WTF? I am dead serious. I seriously want to do this. The short video on page 8 is the epitome of what I want for my life.
I just want this on every page, may make it my sig.
Maybe we could engineer the martians into some sort of primitive, booze based blob that eats rotten corpses, and then stick a tap onto the side of this creature. THEN, we coul dride said creature as mounts of war, and have a refreshing drink mid-battle, reducing ineffectiveness due to people running off to drink.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:30:09 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2012, 11:29:35 pm »

How will we get rockets, colony-building equipment, agricultural materials, genetic engineering equipment, etc? Space colonization isn't just a "pick and an anvil" deal, you know.

Booze. Its rocket fuel, fertilizer and weapons grade explosives all in one. Plus it can be moulded into any form of equiptment needed. Self-sustainability and ☼Booze rockets☼ here we come!
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2012, 12:11:13 am »

We could genetically engineer hemp to grow on the Moon or Mars.

That would cover Fuel, Plastics, Clothing, Nutrition, Medicine..

- All we need is water and soil.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:13:27 am by Caprealis »
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:00 am »

Hemp and booze. We're set. If we can't build it, we can forget about it completely!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Wellincolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2012, 07:59:56 am »

That would cover Fuel, Plastics, Clothing, Nutrition, Medicine..

- All we need is water and soil.

Yes, it is as simple as that.
This makes me relate DF to RL. The plant is there, it covers pretty much all of our biological (economical, therapeutical, pharmaceutical, etc.) needs, yet it can't be done because it was forbidden by some stupid "mayor".

"The WereAss collides with The Ostrich Cock!
The Ostrich Cock is knocked over and tumbles backward!

The Ostrich Cock is no longer stunned.
The Ostrich Cock stands up."

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2012, 09:29:04 am »

We realize that its not a pick and anvil affair, but the primary plan is to utilze all the resouces available to everyone in DFm and in addition use some hapless government (the chinese might be willing, they want to expand their space agancy) for more funds and materials, then declare ourselves independant as soon as we get there.

And if they don't like our declaring independence, we can throw rocks at them using a very Dwarfy solution. How much escape velocity do we need to launch a minecart filled with boulders from the moon?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2012, 09:36:13 am »

We would need to set up something like the magma piston, Using the force from that to propel a cart full of goods to where ever they need to go. So.. Maybe a large tower built on the Moon/Mars filled with a liquid of some sort would do the trick..

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2012, 09:44:38 am »

I call carpenter!
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2012, 09:45:04 am »

Booze. Its rocket fuel, fertilizer and weapons grade explosives all in one. Plus it can be moulded into any form of equiptment needed. Self-sustainability and ☼Booze rockets☼ here we come!
It wouldn't be very good at any of those. For instance, do you know what people put into hand sanitizer to make it kill bacteria? Alcohol. Not a good fertilizer if it kills stuff. Explosives? Well, for weapons, we can always throw rocks. Rocket fuel? Um, no.

Mars, maybe, but Luna is airless.

And if they don't like our declaring independence, we can throw rocks at them using a very Dwarfy solution. How much escape velocity do we need to launch a minecart filled with boulders from the moon?
Low-tech. This is the SPACE AGE, man! We would probably use some sort of electromagnetic thingy like in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Anyways...2.4 k/s. That would be around 1.5 mi/s, and therefore 5,400 mph if my math is correct. That's pretty fast, so en electromagnetic catapult thingy would be good. Of course, it would also be easier if we had some kind of moon-orbiting bombardment craft to take some of the strain of velocity off the last step. Also remember that, as long as our Mike works, the rock will get a lot of energy from accelerating in Earth's gravity, so as long as it enters Earth's "gravity well," we'll be fine. Unless it hits somewhere that no one cares about, like [insert place you hate here].

We would need to set up something like the magma piston, Using the force from that to propel a cart full of goods to where ever they need to go. So.. Maybe a large tower built on the Moon/Mars filled with a liquid of some sort would do the trick..
Putting aside that magma pistons work on principles that would not work IRL, we'd need to be on Mars for us to have magma, and there's no way that that could propel much of anything at over 5,000 mph.

Again, self-sufficient space station. Low on rocks, high on mobility. We could probably compensate for the former by harvesting the Asteroid Belt or something. Solar panels would be a must, as well as some way to get rid of our waste heat. Thoughts?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2012, 09:57:28 am »

So.. A Gauss Cannon of some sort?

Besides the massive power consumption. It would probably work better then anything else we could build.

Magnets for the win.

Anything made of metal would fly pretty well using that thing..

And for the heat, We could try and not waste it by using it to boil water? Then pump it out elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:59:12 am by Caprealis »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2012, 10:26:56 am »

Entropy, Caprealis. Some sort of waste-heat-disposal is vital for any spacecraft or -station.
Sig

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2012, 11:02:44 am »

But people, a space station lacks the sort of long-term survivability we're going for. First, it has no magnetic protection, which would lead to us eventually being turned into a very overcooked pizza. Secondly, the lack of gravity means exercise, which I hate. And thirdly, It would make defense more difficult. Do you know how hard it is to put a hole in a space station? Riduculously easy.

As the main martian here, I would like to remind you that mars has magma, and ice, rendering water and heat concerns null. Furthermore, digging underground could allow for us to turtle for some time, especially if we are self-sustainable. Large solar energy farms could power it, as theres not much competition for space on mars. Greenhouses could be used to farm, as well as provide air.

Weapons: We first need to focus on hand-to-hand weaponry, in order to establish our base of operations on earth. That would allow us to far more easily move supplies there, and if we pick a small country, we shouldn't expect any sanctions or hostilities from the space-faring nations.
THEN, we start on our interplanetary weapons, in order to strike a devestating first strike on their space-capabilities.

Remember, mars has air, protection from solar storms, isolation to prevent earth from getting curious, magma, ice, iron, and a coolness facter.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2012, 11:23:26 am »

But people, a space station lacks the sort of long-term survivability we're going for. First, it has no magnetic protection, which would lead to us eventually being turned into a very overcooked pizza. Secondly, the lack of gravity means exercise, which I hate. And thirdly, It would make defense more difficult. Do you know how hard it is to put a hole in a space station? Riduculously easy.
A. How much of a magnetic field does Luna have? Besides, if the ISS can keep astronauts from turning into "overcooked pizza," why can't our space station?
B. Centrifuges, my fellow dwarf. I have this sketch of a space station for a story I am planning to write. Given sufficient energy--say, solar, supplemented by nuclear (fusion powered by gas-giant hydrogen or fission powered by asteroid-mined fissionables)--we could keep a fair amount of gravity. The one I designed had a gym at 1.2 G, to help optimize our not-bone-losing capabilities.
C. How will they shoot us if they can't find us? Besides, if we land on Olympus Mons or Luna, we're one nuke-toting warship from annihilation anyways. Space war, and even modern (read: Since Russia got nukes) war, tends to be an issue of "Who fired their weapons first?" Especially since they will probably have enough nukes to wipe us off the face of whatever world we settle on and we definitely won't, our best defense is invisibility and mobility rather than toughness. Especially if we convert all (or almost all) of the sunlight hitting us into electricity and direct waste heat away from Earth, we'll be really tough to see.

As the main martian here, I would like to remind you that mars has magma, and ice, rendering water and heat concerns null. Furthermore, digging underground could allow for us to turtle for some time, especially if we are self-sustainable. Large solar energy farms could power it, as theres not much competition for space on mars. Greenhouses could be used to farm, as well as provide air.
Let's be honest: We'd need to dig MILES (or at least most of one) underground for us to have a whole community protected from nukes. And, anyways, those solar farms would be vulnerable to attack. One or two nukes there? There goes our power! Same with greenhouses. Frankly, our best bet on Mars would be to tunnel down and make extensive use of geothermal power, and using artificial lighting to grow plants. And Mars is about the worst place to initiate an attack from; we could send some sort of attack craft, but we'd be outnumbered, and they could send spaceships with nukes to wipe out vital infrastructure if we were careless. So, in short, it's Mars or war. Ironic, no?

Weapons: We first need to focus on hand-to-hand weaponry, in order to establish our base of operations on earth. That would allow us to far more easily move supplies there, and if we pick a small country, we shouldn't expect any sanctions or hostilities from the space-faring nations.
THEN, we start on our interplanetary weapons, in order to strike a devestating first strike on their space-capabilities.
"Hand-to-hand combat?" That's suicide for DWARVES! We live in an era of missile launchers, snipers, and nukes. If we charge into battle, outnumbered, using axes, we will have lost 99%+ of our militia AND have a tantrum spiral at home. And unless we take out vital little nations, the big nations will be willing and able to wipe us out to stop us from bombing Paris and DC.
That's why I'm recommending the TMIaHM method: Settle on Luna, wait for something to distract Earthlings, fling rocks at them (starting in uninhabited areas, move on to military targets, threaten civilian targets if we must), defend our homes (which we could make ideal for hand-to-hand combat), declare independence, become a major economic power, go from there. Okay, those last two steps weren't in Heinlein's book, but still. In short: Interplanetary warfare first, hand-to-hand for home defense. Also, consider some kind of thingy (space station?) with centrifuges providing greater than Earth-level gravity for training our soldiers. Then, they will be stronger than the groundhogs.

Remember, mars has air, protection from solar storms, isolation to prevent earth from getting curious, magma, ice, iron, and a coolness facter.
Air? Well, kinda. A few percent of Earth's atmosphere and mostly CO2, and anyways we'd want to stay underground if we wanted to attack Earth. Protection from solar storms? I'll give you that over space stations. Isolation? Also makes pretty much any kind of warfare except "Fly to them and hope they don't shoot us out of the sky before we can attack" effectively impossible, which isn't a problem for Earth because of their much vaster pool of resources and population. Magma? Cool, but aside from geothermal power, lacking in practicality. Ice? On Luna too, and you can also mine water from some asteroids and/or recycle waste fluids. Iron? I'm 99% sure that Luna has it, and 100% that there's some in the asteroid belt, which is a good place for our hypothetical space station to hang out the more I think of it. Coolness? I assume you are talking about the temperature of your body if we decide to go for style over substance.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 192