Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 336052 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion
« Reply #945 on: August 14, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »

That, or have all colonists take a mandatory vow of silence, and attempt to communicate with one another solely by facial expressions.

What in the case of emergency? If we get attacked I doubt we'll be able to warn other colonies about it with our face over the phone.

Edit: I vote we use german.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 14, 2012, 04:53:45 pm »

Dwarves have Scottish accents, right? What about Scottish? Though Dwarves are originaly from German mythology, and German sound more dwarfy....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 14, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »

German all the way, but i also believe we must develop some sort of code for our documents, Prehaps a mix of the languages from DF, except for elvish.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 14, 2012, 04:58:46 pm »

German all the way, but i also believe we must develop some sort of code for our documents, Prehaps a mix of the languages from DF, except for elvish.

No, we must use PURE elvish. They will never expect that we use elvish.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 14, 2012, 05:12:33 pm »

No, we must use PURE elvish. They will never expect that we use elvish.
I hate you so much right now.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 14, 2012, 05:38:11 pm »

That, or have all colonists take a mandatory vow of silence, and attempt to communicate with one another solely by facial expressions.

What in the case of emergency? If we get attacked I doubt we'll be able to warn other colonies about it with our face over the phone.

Edit: I vote we use german.

Simple:
When we call someone, our face will be displayed on the built-in screen that will come standard with all communication devices. It's not like we don't already have the technology to accomplish such a thing.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 14, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »

Still, we would have to go up to EVERY LAST PERSON to tell them to get to a bunker. And what if we need to tell someone far away something? They won't be able to see our face.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 14, 2012, 05:50:46 pm »

We'll just have have a built-in warning system on all communication devices as well. When shit starts to go down, the appropriate facial expression will begin to flash on all available screens, ensuring the vast majority of colonists are warned of the imminent danger.

if you need to talk to someone far away, just send them a text with a picture of your facial expression attached.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 14, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »

And if someone cracks and starts killing people? I doubt we'll be able to just make a face and the police show up.

... Are we seriously fighting over if we should talk/be mute?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 14, 2012, 06:01:58 pm »

Now you're just being silly. You and I both know it would be far quicker to simply send a picture of your facial expression to the authorities than it would be to call them up and frantically attempt to explain the situation.

And no, we're not. we're having a civilized debate over the matter of communication between colonists.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 14, 2012, 06:17:12 pm »

What about those that are blind, have facial deformities or are missing parts of the face? How will we know  what they say, or how the blind understand what's going on?

-Edit-

Reading glasses, sunglasses, gas masks, helmets. All these will make it near-impossible to speak to other colonists.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:20:53 pm by Corai »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 14, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »

I have an idea. Dwarvish: civilian day to day stuff
Goblin: Military work.
Human: Yellow alert civvie stuff.
Elvish: Code red communications.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 14, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »

What about those that are blind, have facial deformities or are missing parts of the face? How will we know  what they say, or how the blind understand what's going on?

-Edit-

Reading glasses, sunglasses, gas masks, helmets. All these will make it near-impossible to speak to other colonists.

Seeing all the other inventions we have planned, we might as well add "robotic eyes for the blind" to the list. With those who have damaged/deformed faces, I imagine it would be like talking to someone with speech problems. They may be harder to understand, but you should still be able to get at least the basic idea of what they're saying.

Perhaps with the exception of sunglasses, I doubt such eyeware would hinder communication too much. But if there were a piece of information that absolutely required ones eyes to be visible in order to express it, they could always simply take them off for a second.

We shall design all full-face helmets with the ability to display digital versions of basic facial expressions on their visors. And if you see people walking around with gas masks on for an unknown reason, that alone should be enough to tell you something is awry.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 14, 2012, 07:06:44 pm »

How will we speak to many at once? It would be terribly confusing to turn around, make a face, turn around again, make a face, turn BACK, make a face, go into a room and make a face, come back. It would be near-impossible to speak to many people at once. And in a workplace this would be terrible.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 14, 2012, 07:10:17 pm »

How will we speak to many at once? It would be terribly confusing to turn around, make a face, turn around again, make a face, turn BACK, make a face, go into a room and make a face, come back. It would be near-impossible to speak to many people at once. And in a workplace this would be terrible.
Can we just scrap the idea of face lauguage? We have vocal cords for a reason.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 192