Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automatic Mining or Ores/Gems?  (Read 5626 times)

Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Automatic Mining or Ores/Gems?
« on: July 17, 2012, 04:35:22 am »

Is there any way to get my dwarves to automatically mine visible, accessible gems/ore out of interest?

I realize the possible downsides:
• Security compromises
• Low-skill miners lowering ore/gem yield

I just find designating individual tiles a bit tedious.

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Mining or Ores/Gems?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:38:56 am »

None that I know of. DFhack might have something in that regard, but I've never used it, so no idea.

However, concerning your second point: ore and gem yield is no longer influenced by mining skill since the big hauling update a few versions back. Resource drop rates are fixed at 25% for rock and ore and 100% for gems.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:50:38 am »

while you do still have to order where to dig, dfhack has dvein (or something) that sets the entire cluster or vein to be dug out. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than having to guess where the vein will go or having to designate it for digging as new tiles become visible. AFAIK there is no tool that says something like "always dig any visible ore or gem", which I'd advice against anyway. You don't need that much zinc or lead, but having a smoothed and engraved galena wall (for example) in his bedroom will make a dorf happy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:20:28 am »

yes, the DFHack tools digv and digl will designate an entire vein or layer for digging. Layer in this case meaning, say, all the galena connected to the cursor.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:08:05 am »

Hear hear, digv is awesome. Once you have DFHack installed and running, just go to (H)otkeys and rename one of your unused ones (Shift+F2 for me) to "digv". Don't tell it to zoom anywhere. Then while you're designating things to be dug, put the cursor over a square of unmined ore and hit Shift+F2 or whatever. It'll designate the whole vein to be mined.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.