Yes! We need help!
- 1 (7.7%)
No Hints, please, I'd rather figure it out on my own
- 4 (30.8%)
Other
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Clansmen - Clan Nac Mac Feegle - Year 2 - Autumn  (Read 24115 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Clansmen - PBEMish Boardgame - 4/4 players - Game prep
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2012, 02:31:43 pm »

Sorry man, but I really want to start with a Lowland, so I'll have to pick #2.  I'll keep you in mind if I ever need to trade for stone, though.

Laborer goes on the starting hill, and the farmers take the other hill and the lowlands.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 02:47:30 pm »

I think I'll start at Number 2. It looks like a fair starting zone.

Sorry, John, you're actually last in line. So while you can request a spot, everyone else actually gets to pick before you. Downside of going first in Year 1. Upside is that you can grab Call for Kin before anyone else gets a chance.

Wait, why should we even get an advantage for being in a certain place on the turn order? That seems like rather bad balance.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:49:38 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2012, 02:50:54 pm »

Ok, so John gets Starting position #1.

Since he goes first, he can just include his population placements in his initial turn post.

Year 1 - Spring

Event: There is no Event this Season, as it is the first turn of the game.

Raiders: The Raider track is incremented to 1.

Population: No new population is gained this Season.

Actions: Johnfalcon99977 is the starting player, so he gets to decide what his first action will be. We will then go down the list, repeating until all players are out of Actions that they can play.

The Special Action for this season is Call for Kin.

Reminder: You each have 2 Regular Actions as well as your 1 Special Action. Regular actions are replenished each Season. Special Actions are replenished each Year. Only one player can use the Special Action for a given Season. So if John uses his Special Action to claim Call for Kin, no one else can use there Special Action this season (barring a Bold Move card). John would still get to use both of his Regular Actions as well.

Also, remember that you can play as many Tales cards on your turn as you wish, provided that you meet any requirements for them.

Unless something comes up that needs me to answer a question or make a decision, you may feel free to take your turns as soon as the previous player has taken theirs.

I'll get the map updated with everything when I get a chance. Might be later today, might not be until tomorrow morning. We'll see.

@John: I think it balances out. Going first each Season this year can have quite a few advantages. It's also very much a work in progress, so if you feel that it's not balanced by the end of the game please let me know. I need all the feedback I can get on this game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »

I think I'll start at Number 2. It looks like a fair starting zone.

Sorry, John, you're actually last in line. So while you can request a spot, everyone else actually gets to pick before you. Downside of going first in Year 1. Upside is that you can grab Call for Kin before anyone else gets a chance.

Wait, why should we even get an advantage for being in a certain place on the turn order? That seems like rather bad balance.

It balances out, trust me. The Special Actions are basically a scarce resource, and getting first crack at them can be really useful. Being the First Player basically gives you Call for Kin, which means you'll be the only player in Year 1 to have 4 population. To balance that, the 1st player picks last for initial placement.

The player rotation will change each year, so in year 2 Toaster will be player 1, micelus 2, Scelly9 3, and you 4th. Over the course of the game it should all balance out, since there are different advantages depending on which year you get to be the 1st player.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clansmen - Clan Nac Mac Feegle - Year 1 - Spring
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2012, 07:52:07 am »

Still waiting on Johnfalcon99977 to send me his set up and take his first turn.

In the meantime, the map is updated.
Come play Mafia with us!

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:50 pm »

Our Clan shall Hunt and Explore this season. I shall take the Call for Kin Special action.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 01:30:16 pm »

Our Clan shall Hunt and Explore this season. I shall take the Call for Kin Special action.

Cool. A few things, though. And some of this, I'm sure, is due to me not explaining things well enough. I'll go back and review the rules to make sure all of this is clear. For now:

1) I still need to know where you're placing your initial population. You have 2 Farmers and 1 Laborer to place.

2) The Action phase is actually divided into Turns. So you'll do one action first (I'm assuming Call for Kin, since that is the only one that can be blocked by later actions.) You'll do the Hunt and Explore Actions after everyone else has done their 1st and 2nd actions respectively.

3) I'll need to know what type of Population you want to call for (Farmer, Laborer, Crafter, or Warrior). This population will show up in Summer, so plan accordingly. Don't stress too much about the selection, since you can always use a Reorganize to change  population's type later. But not having to use up an action doing that is always nice.

4) When you declare your Explore Action you'll need to tell me which tile you want to reveal from any of the White tiles adjacent to any revealed tile.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2012, 02:04:55 pm »

As a general Question for everyone, do you guys want me to give you any game hints? Either ones specific to this particular set-up or general strategy hints? Or would you rather I just give you the rules, answer questions, and let you figure it out on your own?

I'm cool either way, but now's the time to decide how we want this to work. So I put up a poll.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2012, 02:30:08 pm »

For the very first iteration, it'll probably be good from a playtesting perspective to let us muddle through on our on and see what we come up with.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2012, 06:03:33 pm »

Seems to be a bit of a mix in the poll so far. I'll give a few really generic pieces of advice right now that I noticed from my first play test. And they might not be obvious things based on how hard the rules are to read.

1) Pay attention to Houses in the first year and plan accordingly. Without Resources in Spring you will only get 2 Seasons to build since you can't build in Winter. Having a population Weakened the second Spring isn't a huge deal, but it's best not to let it happen.

2) Remember to look at your Tales Cards and ask if you have any questions on them. They're very powerful when used properly.

3) When Exploring, it's usually best to do it first so that if you find a great spot you can change your 2nd action to a Reorganize to move population over to take advantage of it. Especially if you have Tales card that you could use with the new Tile or haven't built a house for that pop yet.

4) Remember that you start with 3 food, so you do have a bit of backup food for your entire population in case things go wrong.

5) Look carefully at all of the possible actions, especially those in future seasons. For example, if someone wants to use the Festival of the Sun you'll need to have gotten Goods somehow to do so.

------------------------------

Oh, and you the rest of you guys can continue your turn. I highly doubt Johnfalcon is going to chnge his action, and the rest of what he does shouldn't effect you guys too much.

So, Toaster, you're up next.
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2012, 07:02:06 pm »

I will play a Rich Soil Card on the Lowlands my farmer is working.

This season, I will first Trade 2 Food for One Goods.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2012, 07:55:08 pm »

Explore hex east of laboured forest.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:17:21 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2012, 08:05:09 pm »

Explore hex east of laboured forest.
If possible, build cellars.

Ok, your Explore goes first. You reveal a Forest Tile.

You'll have to wait on a second action until it comes back around to you. But to answer your question, you'd need 2 Stone to build cellars. The only way to do that the first Season is to play an "Aid from Homeland - Resources" card to gain the resources. You may want to look back over the PM I sent you to see what cards you have.
Come play Mafia with us!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:53 pm »

Stone? Misread the post. I'm going to need to read through the rules again.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2012, 11:14:51 am »

Scelly9 you're up. As a reminder, you're just posting your first action right now. Make sure to look at your Tales cards, you can play as many of those as you want on a turn.

Once he's played his Action, Johnfalcon, you can do your next one and so on. You guys only need to wait on me if the result of an Explore or the like will change your decisions. Or if you need a question answered.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17