Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Gotterdammerung  (Read 30744 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Alone in the Woods
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:26 am »

Pre-venture

Just one more pile of sand...it's a better place.

Eri's thoughts conflicted each other as she saw the corpse of Jim get slowly devoured by the white, soft sand. At least he would be in a place where scavengers and animals won't disturb him.

*plop*

She tilted her head slightly at the sound, leather? As she bent down to see what it was, after excusing herself to the corpse, she saw that it was his wallet.

A very fine wallet, that Jim wouldn't use.

Take it! Jim won't mind.
No wait, leave it with him. It's his dyin-
Take. It.

Will she?
NO!
Ahh, not this again. Think, girl. Perhaps Jim must have something in here that his family might want. Like...a portrait of his younger years that men always carry around, or perhaps his wife and kids? There could also be cash, and the plane was bound for Malaysia anyway, so the currency must be in ringgits.

Well?

She sighed to herself for having these long-drawn out thoughts on details like these. Of course she would take the wallet! And then inspect the insides, away from everyone else's view.

"I'll make sure your family knows, Jim."

------------------------------------
Post-venture

As her conscience weighed on her from the trip, Eri was overjoyed to find some sign of civilization at last.

As they looked around, she proposed to the rest. "Should we announce our presence? I think we should, manners and all that."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2012, 03:09:38 am »

Wesley though for a moment "It would probably be best if we don't overwhelm or frighten them, perhaps only one or two of us should go forward and the rest hang back.  The idea of two lost folk saying they need help for them an their friends sounds significantly easier to handle then opening the door to 10 strangers.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2012, 03:43:35 am »

"Significantly easier to h-"

Eri blinked. Was this a plan of some sort, or was she just thinking along another line of thought?

"Well...if my word could be counted for it. The people in these localities are especially helpful and friendly to strangers who need aid. Especially in...our condition.

"I don't see the meaning in numbers, and I could probably understand part of what anyone in this part of the world says. The language is...nearly the same, give or take a few derivatives. I guess.

"So..."
She left the question to be asked for, looking over each of the groups faces as she spoke.

Hmm, perhaps she should've brought a map of the area before this trip instead of all the other essentials.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2012, 05:30:00 am »

"Something about this place is off ... I mean why would someone live this far out from civilized society with such a nice place, even a fishermen would need to have easy access to a town to easily sell the fish they catch. There is no road nearby, and the one we saw was on the cliff, even if it lad to a city the distance they'd need to travel is insane. Richard, get your gun out and keep it hidden please, anyone else with a weapon keep it ready." Renard said, and towards the end he started to trail off as he stared at the smoke coming out of the chimney, a memory of the orphanage comes back to him and he smiles for a second, but soon enough he realizes where he is. His face turns back to the usual grim look and he grasps the spear tight in his right hand.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:01:40 pm by adwarf »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2012, 05:33:35 am »

Travis nearly lunged forward at the suggestion that only a few of them go forward to meet the occupant of the house. Such a nice house too, in a jungle. It looked incredible.

"I volunteer. One way or another I'm rather charming. Maybe someone to translate as my plus one?"

Dear gods, the dream was so real he could nearly smell her. His imagination served up lingering scents of blooming flowers, maybe lilac. Yes...Lilac, he remembered that from the home of this lovely young lady. Where he had to spend an evening hiding in her garden from her rather unhappy boyfriend.

Maybe you're in shock..You did just go through a plane crash. Talk to that doctor fellow, and try not to go off the deep end. Focus! Jungle! Potentially about to DIE!

((Adwarf, do try not to do actions that make little sense in char.. The rest is fine, you're a suspicious kind of guy after all.
Only Rachel and Ashley noticed the markings, the rest of us did not.))
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2012, 05:40:53 am »

Ashley just stood wordlessly, staring at the building before her. She stood like that until Eri's voice snapped her out of it.

"The fuck is this? I saw a wooden hut, not a building like this! What the hell..."

She scratched her head in confusion, feeling her gut knot and clench from wariness and suspicion. She felt uneasy about the building, something seemed... Off somehow...

"Guys... Who on earth would build something like this in the middle of nowhere? It doesn't make sense!

Hey, can I borrow those for a second, Eri , wasn't it? I think I see something..."

Borrow Eri's binoculars for a minute, check my cellphone for reception and then use the binoculars to take a closer look at the fence and then the house itself.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2012, 06:08:19 am »

"Something about this place is off ... I mean why would someone live this far out from civilized society with such a nice place, even a fishermen would need to have easy access to a town to easily sell the fish they catch. There is no road nearby, and the one we saw was on the cliff, even if it lad to a city the distance they'd need to travel is insane. Richard, get your gun out and keep it hidden please, anyone else with a weapon keep it ready."
"But let's not jump to conclusions here! I know quite a few people who choose to live in this state because of...economic reasons. There may be a village nearby, if there is no road but dirt roads are common, from what I know. Also, roads are prett-"

"The fuck is this? I saw a wooden hut, not a building like this! What the hell..."

"Guys... Who on earth would build something like this in the middle of nowhere? It doesn't make sense!

Eri nodded to Ashley about the borrowing wearing a mask of confusion as she tried to explain. "Wait, you saw a wooden hut and not a brick made hut?"

Wait...since when are huts made out of bricks?

"Well, only one way to find out." She gestured towards Travis.

"I'm also volunteering." ((See later post))
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:04:21 am by Tiruin »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2012, 06:56:21 am »

Ashley looked up at Eri's mention of volunteering.

"I think it's a bad idea for you to go on this one. I mean, what if these people are wanted criminals? Or... Or drug runners? Or any other number of bad things? We need you out here to help the rest of us to survive in the jungle if things go bad."

She turned to look at the structure, chewing her lip lightly.

"I mean, what kind of sensible people build a place like this so far from civilization? Noone without a reason, that's who..."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2012, 07:16:45 am »

A glimpse of uncertainty flashed across Eri's face.

"B-but...then at least they would've seen our plane crash, right? And...if they were criminals, then what about Travis and..."

She slowed down to stop stuttering. "And I could...try to help translating. But I guess you're right." She took a deep breath, the image of Jim was still vivid in her thoughts. "I'll be...over there. Somewhat in a safe place to watch what would happen, if that's alright with you."

And to check on that wallet.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2012, 08:42:09 am »

Ashley felt a slight pang of guilt at Eri's backing off, but she assured herself that she was doing the best thing right now. Eri had very useful skills that were needed in the coming days, they couldn't risk her. But if she didn't go, then who would?

"Ok, but if we are approaching that house, then we should send at least 2 people... Any more volunteers?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2012, 09:34:55 am »

Borrow Eri's binoculars for a minute, check my cellphone for reception and then use the binoculars to take a closer look at the fence and then the house itself.

Ashley lifts the binoculars to her eyes and starts scoping out the house..

[Ashley Spot 1+5-2 (range)=4]

The magnification is blurry and indistinct, and strangely dizzifying. Ashley feels a bit of a vertigo sensation...she shakes her head, and looks again. For  a moment, she would have sworn...

Just looks like a house. A nice house...and nothing else. Her sense of unease does not lessen.

The writing on the fence is strange. Are those letters or symbols? Pictograms?

She idly checks her cellphone for a signal aftewards. It blinks between one and zero bars of signal strength, never long enough to call anyone. Maybe the storm knocked the local cell tower out?

The wind shifts softly, with an almost audible sigh, bringing with it a veritable storm of exquisite, wild scents-Lilac, Gardenia, Marigold, Jasmine, Honeysuckle...and below that...the smell of something delicious cooking in an oven. Gingerbread.

You all can't help but smile a bit at the good sensation.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:10:58 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2012, 03:20:00 pm »

Renard heard Ashley's remarks and started chuckling, after around half a minute he stops and gives the place a quick look before saying, "If these people were criminals, drug runners, or arms dealer, which is the more likely if their this far out, we'd be dead already. If it was any of those they'd have a car fit for going through the jungle, and there would be some kind of lookout structure ..." Renard stopped in his tracks, he was giving them to much information, and the fact of the matter was this could be a trap for him, the KGB may have finally found him, even his employer's contacts could only delay them finding him.

Look around for signs of an ambush.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »

"Ugh... Why am I dizzy all of the sudden?"

Ashley rubbed her eyes and looked back at the man who spoke up.

"Maybe they are out? On any case, there's something strange on the fence, some kind of picture writing... Is anyone good with languages?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2012, 10:49:43 pm »

Eri raised her hand.

"Well, I am, in a...few. Mostly on the romantic side - Latin, Greek...and of Filipino. Yet I guess it would be hard if I speak to the locals here in the last one, I've never done that in quite some time. Different pronunciation, nearly the same meaning." She shrugged, then the smell of food came to her.

"We...could all just go to the front and knock. That aroma is...enthralling. I don't think drug dealers can cook that well."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2012, 12:37:39 am »

Ashley faltered for a moment before managing to wrench herself back to reality.

"St-Still... Can you have a look at these things? They look really strange..."

She handed the binoculars back.

"Look at the fence. Can you recognize them?"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17