Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Gotterdammerung  (Read 30749 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

"I'm writing it down. T..e...r...a..n...

...oh, Fire you say? Why don't you put it out?

Oh yes, you crashed, I suppose. I'll check the records. What did you say your flight number was?

I should have asked that right off, sorry. I've such a scattered mind at times. My mother always used to say that. Brain like scrambled eggs.

She would hit me in the head with a spoon whenever I dropped a bag of flour-my family owned a bakery, which makes the eggs anecdote odd in retrospect-and sometimes I wonder how that affec..."

The radio explodes in a shower of sparks.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

(Useless officials are useless!  :P )

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

"I don't know the damn flight number... look the captains name is..." Abby reads the captains name off the dead man's shirt and gives a shudder.  "I need to get out of here before the damn plane blows up.  Can't you figure out the flight on your end?  It's a small plane, a Cesna.  Mother of hell, this is dangerous!"
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The radio explodes in a shower of sparks.

You get no response, not even static. Much like the Pope, this radio is now dead.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

"Boring conversation anyway... James!  Are you alright?"  Abby turns away from the radio almost relieved to not be talking to that idiot anymore and hurries over to find her brother and help him escape despite his wounds.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

"I-...I can't swim."

Eri adjusted her grip on the man who saved her, she could treat their wounds later - if they ever did reach land. Drowning in this water was worse than anything she ever experienced. There were much wounded, some were...dead, perhaps? It was all murky, the seawater was mixed with fuel from the plane...

"Everyone, find a buoyant item and grab your belongings!"

Search for my bag, and if possible Richard's bag.

Search for any rope-like object: If found, pass it to the others to form a 'floating line' or for support.

Examine the seats of the plane for their support and buoyancy under our weight. If yes: LOOT THEM AND USE AS AN IMPROVISED BOAT.

((What happened with that official?  :P))

"Don't these planes come with emergency rafts or lifevests?!"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Dammit, I don't think I can move by myself could someone come help me get off this damned hunk of junk!" Renard yelled before beginning to try and pull himself up and out of his seat and towards the front of the wreck. With that he started making, or more precisely trying to make his way off the plane before it sunk into the water and ended up killing him.

Use a move action to start making my way off the sinking plane, take one of the seats if I can but make moving off the lane my top priority.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Travis was never really the guy they picked for great feats of strength. If a task ever remotely required being strong, Travis ignored it outright. He regretted that as he realized no one gave a damn about coming to help, at least not right away when it would be most helpful.

Oh well. We're the one whos here, so I guess we're the ones who are going to do this. Heave ho! Or whatever people say in these situations/i]

Travis braced himself between two likely looking bits of the plane and did his best to pull Wesley from his seat, onto a safer part of the plane before he falls.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:13:45 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Richard was torn between staying with the woman who had help him out of the seat and the man who was having issues standing up. But first he would need his pack.

Search for mah pack if it is lost. If not search for that survival pack. +2

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

b]Act 1, Scene 5[/b]

Tail Group
Richard Dockson Jr, Eri Arloest, Rachel Fergusson, Renard Brosac and Ashley Lockman keep moving...

[GM evil=9]

The plane continues it's inexorable slide-water rushes into the plane in a torrent!

======================================================================================
Eri Arloest

[Search Check=4+3=7]

Eri begins a frantic search...but she is knocked off balance by a rush of water into the plane.

There's no time!

Eri snags a few nearby seat cushions-they float rather nicely-and makes her way out of the plane.

Quote from: Eri snags...
Improvised Floating Device (Air filled Cushions):+5 to Swim Checks, Can Take 10 even when threatened. Full now, but will probably deflate very soon.

She finds Richard and Ashley floating along with her, and Renard struggling to tread water.

Of the woman soldier-Rachel-she see's nothing.

Quote from: Eri Status
(16/16 HP remains, now 5 total NLD)
Inventory
Scrap Metal Pry Bar, in left hand (Improvised Melee Weapon, does 1d4 Blunt or Piercing Damage. Looks like it will be bent out of shape only after a few solid strikes.)
Improvised Floating Device, being held onto (Air filled Cushions):+5 to Swim Checks, Can Take 10 even when threatened. Full now, but will probably deflate very soon

Ashley Lockman

[Search Check=6+1=7]

Ashley goes to check the overheard compartment, but it's been smashed beyond recognition-her equipment was likely sent flying by the crash...and she can't see where it is.

The Water rises up to her chest, making her gasp. About half the plane is full now-the back end is now completely underwater. To her surpise, the Survival Kit is naturally buoyant when sealed, and it lifts her up easily. A literal life saver.

Quote from: Ashley Status
(18/18 HP remains)
Inventory
Survival Kit (On back, Providing +10 to Swim Checks, Can Take 10 even when threatened)
-1xFlare gun (1 Round ammunition)
-3xChemical Light sticks
-1xCompass
-3xFirst Aid Kits
-1xMultipurpose Tool

Richard Dockson Jr

[Search Check=20+2=22, Plot Crit!]

Time slows down as Richard sorts out the chaos from the order....he figures the case is...there! He snags it and rolls it over his shoulder, glad to be feeling it's comfortable weight again.

Quote from: Richard finds...
Dockson Legacy Expedition Case

-Since you didn't gen up an inventory, Cript, and you just critted, pick up to 10 pds of equipment and add it to your sheet for free. I'll let you take a single ranged and melee weapon each if you want to spend the weight on them.

This is Dockson Sr's travelling case-it went everywhere with him, a hundred countries and a hundred far flung locales. It still bears the scars of a lifetime of his forbears adventuring spirit.

He gave it to Rich when he retired, and he's now very glad it didn't go down with the plane. The first thing he does is pop it open and snag the life jacket fastened to the inside rim. He slips it over himself and pulls the ring-it inflates with a satisfying *hiss*.

Quote from: Richard finds...
Life Jacket: +10 to Swim Checks, Can Take 10 even when threatened.

He paddles outside to where Eri and Ashley are both trying to keep afloat-it's going to be a tough swim, but you've all got flotation devices and are bobbing up and down in the waves.

Of Rachel Fergusson-the woman who left before you all did-there's no sign.

Quote from: Richard Status
(17/20 HP remains, now 3 total NLD)
Life Jacket, Being worn: +10 to Swim Checks, Can Take 10 even when threatened

Dockson Legacy Expedition Case, Strapped Over Shoulder (Can hold up to 10 pds of equipment, but the case and it's contents will count as weightless if Richard holds it. Extremely difficult to break into or damage by ordinary means. It contains a sundry of random equipment and trinkets Dockson Sr gathered in his travels-Richard can occasionally pull plot-needed items from it's depths with a search roll.)
-
-
-

Rachel Fergusson

Rachel jumps into the water...

(DC 15 Swim +6 for 32 Pd weight carried, DC 21)
[Swim Check 5+7=13, FAIL!]

The weight of the pack and clothes-along with the rolling waves-more or less force her down immediately, her trained strokes turning into panicked thrashing.

Rachel finds herself holding her breath under water.

Storm light filters from above-the occasional lightning flash illuminates the world, oddly beautiful when viewed under the waves.

*1 Round of Air remaining before drowning*

She's got to get back up to the surface...and this pack isn't going to be worth much is she drowns with it.

Quote from: Rachel Status
(16/20 HP remains, now 4 total NLD)
Inventory
Day Pack (On left shoulder)
-Flashlight (Battery 100%)
-Trail Rations (36 bars)
-Rope (30 ft nylon)
-Knife (1d4 piercing damage, 19-20 crit range)

Renard Brosac

Renard surges up and out, trying to escape the sinking metal coffin.

[Balance Roll: 13+5=18]

He makes his way out of the plane, only to be lashed in the face by a heavy wave. He hears the gurgling of the plane behind and realizes he's going to be treading water soon.

He hears three others come up behind him-they've all got nice little floatation devices, while he's struggling just to stand up straight. Nice...

Quote from: Renard Status
(9/18 HP remains, now 9 total NLD)
Staggered*
Carrying Nothing

*Staggered: Having nonlethal damage exactly equal to current hit points. A staggered character may take a single move action or standard action each round (but not both, nor can she take full-round actions). A character whose current hit points exceed his nonlethal damage is no longer staggered; a character whose nonlethal damage exceeds his hit points becomes unconscious. Note, in our case, rounds equal game turns.

Nose Group
Wesley, Travis, Abby O'Brian and Mica find their way forward, with some help.

[GM Evil=7]

The Plane buckles, and the creaking cachephony of breaking branches becomes a symphony. The pause before the fall. You need to leave NOW.

======================================================================================
Abby

Abby curses the useless official and retreats back into the aisle to help her brother...and her foot hits a bunch of slick jungle leaves cluttered in the way, sending her sprawling.

[Balance Roll=4, FAIL!]
[Climb Roll: 8+1=9, FAIL!]
[Abby Reflex Check: 14, FAIL!]

Feeling like she's taking a ride on a Hellish version of a slip-and-slide, Abby can't find a handhold or regain or balance...

[James melee touch vs Mica AC: 14+1, Pass!]

But her descent is suddenly stopped as James catches her hand. He holds on despite his wounds, smiling painfully.

"I thought you were supposed to rescuing me?"

They haul each other back into a standing position, and Abby takes her brothers shoulder, leading him outside and to the relative safety of a limb large enough for him to stand on. He looks down with a whistle.

You both spot Mica already on the ground, dusting herself off-and there's a bunch of twisted vegetation in her path, which means there's a steady way down, more or less.

(The climb DC for the first 10 ft is reduced by 5 (now 10) since Mica trailblazed a steady handhold)

Slowly, he begins to ease himself down with Abby's help...

[Abby Aid Another Climb Roll: 10+1=11, Pass!]
[James Climb Roll 8+1+2=11, pass!]

(James Climbed down 10 of 20 Ft)

He's slowly working his way down the thick vines, occasionally looking up at Abby with the barest hint of worry in his eye.

"This isn't so hard...

Hey sister, you want me to grab you a banana on your way down? Ook ook, me Tarzan, you Abby."
He lamely jokes.

Quote from: Abby Status
(16/16 HP remains)
Carrying Nothing

Mica

Mica continues her way down...hmm, tricky section coming up...

[Climb Roll: 2+1=3, FAIL!]
[Reflex Check: 6+5=11, FAIL!]

Whoops. Mica loses her grip on a slippery vine and falls..

[Tumble Check to reduce fall damage by 10ft: 16+8=21, Pass!]

....but manages to use the momentum to dexterously pivot her body in midair, and land solidly on her feet taking no damage, feeling like an agile cat.

*nyan!*

(Climbed down 20 of 20 Ft, now on ground)

Quote from: Mica Status
(16/20 HP remains)
Carrying Nothing

Travis and Wesley

Travis reaches down, and his grip finds Wesley's...they carefully undo the restraints holding him in, and the chair plummets...

[Travis STR Check: 2-1=1]

Shit! Travis feels himself being overbalanced by the unexpected weight..

*Action point used, Bonus 1d6=2*

Wesley feels himself slipping...and he's going to bring down Travis with him...

[Wesley STR Check 14+0+2=16]

In that moment, he remembers Ferrah vividly...and for a moment, he can hear her voice again, clearer than he ever has.

"Wesley. Wake up. You've not come this far to fail now...Wake up, Wesley...Don't fail now...you're stronger than this-I know. Wake up. Don't be afraid.

We'll meet again...but not today."

The voice fades from his mind, and Wesley feels a surge of power and adrenaline rush up through his body. With a pained scream, he grips the side of the plane and hauls himself up into it with Travis's help.

Travis grapples to a nearby seat, breathing hard. He should really work out.

Wesley is oddly calm. He takes a deep breath-and smells a familar scent. Ferrah's perfume, wild and sweet...he looks around in a daze, but it fades as quickly as it came.

The plane creaks dangerously, causing both the men to exchange uneasy glances. It's now or never!

Quote from: Travis Status
(13/17 HP remains, now 4 total NLD)
Carrying Nothing

Quote from: Wesley Status
(10/17 HP remains, now 7 total NLD)
Carrying Nothing
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:03:54 am by Dwarmin »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous

Wesley pushes himself up to his feet, stumbling briefly before gripping a half bent chair.  He turned to the man who had saved him, gives a brief and somewhat forced smile, before turning and heading to the safest exit out of the wreckage.

"Let's not let your heroics go to waste, we should skedaddle." he says to the man.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

(Serve Rachel right for abandoning us in the sinking plane. Also, totally keeping that survival pack from now on. That massive swim bonus is just too good to pass up, not to mention the take 10 bonus when threatened.)

Ashley was secretly glad that she had found this useful pack. It was time to get to shore, but she wasn't sure where that other lady went to. Unless she had gotten to the shore already, there was only one possible place she could have gone. Under.

"Someone grab him, before he drowns! We've got to get to shore!"

Take 10 on my swimming checks from now on until I reach the shore. Check under the water for Rachel and if I can find her, pull her to the surface. Then work together with the others to swim to shore.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Honestly, I don't think I could have warned Taricus better...

Rachel stops to catch her breath, idly batting away a piece of floating junk-there's lot of debris scattered around on the surface

*cue sound of Tar diving in with nothing but a heavy pack*

I thought I was being too obvious... :P

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

(I was wondering if we could use that stuff as a floatation device of sorts. I need to remember that we can do stuff like that...)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

"James, you magnificant bastard!  I knew I brought you along for something."  As the two of them stand outside the plane Abby hugs her brother in a tight hug powered by equal parts adrenaline and appreciation.  Then the lug goes an ruins the moment with his Tarzan line... oh brother.
"Okay you lug, stay safe on the way down, I'll be right behind you."  Abby scans the plane and sees there's two passengers remaining.  "What's the holdup you slowpokes?  You need a hand or something?"
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17