Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Gotterdammerung  (Read 30755 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Gotterdammerung
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:06:14 am »

...and, Action!

Scene 1/Act 1

*rrrrumble*

The plane bucks as it hits another patch of turbulence, and your hand involuntarily goes to the 'safety' of your arm rest, as the lights flicker out for five breathless seconds. Your life doesn't flash between your eyes, but you do get a profound sense of unfairness-after all you've been through? It could end here?

Well, at least it would be quick...a quick dive down into the stormy South China sea at 1000 mph will ruin anyones day. So why worry? It's quite literally, out of your hands.

When you heart steadies, a quick peek outside the viewport of the Cessna you're riding in reveals nothing but darkness-broiling storm clouds engulf your vision, and heavy rain and hail patters on the window. Occasional gusts of winds continue to rock the plane, as if mocking it's fragility.

The Captain comes on the intercom, to say he's 'plotting an alternate course'. You can hear the tension in his voice, and it spreads through the cabin like a fever.

But the people here with you are made of sterner stuff. And , they're all here for a reason. Adventurers, all-of many fields and expertise-are gathered here...you all couldn't resist a message like...

Opportunity of a lifetime.
Meet me on the deck of the S.S Nasib Malang
Pier 34, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Come alone, or bring at most one other person.

Two plane tickets were inside-for this flight. A trap? Maybe. Word gets around though-lots of people got the letters, not just you...and, you've had a hard run of luck recently. For whatever reason, you took the chance. Honestly, when have you not the taken the chance?

*rrrrumble*

The plane rocks again, and this time you think you hear something *pop*. Surely just your imagination...did something just fall off the wing? Nah.

Fun times. You look at the people around you, wondering how best to break the silence and relieve some of the tension.

Actions I need from Players
1. Who did you bring with you on the plane with your second ticket, if anyone? (You could also have 'sold' the ticket for cash or a favor to one of acquantainces)
2. Roleplay your character introductions, and getting to know the other players/NPC's.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:23:08 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous

Wesley gripped the arm rest, it's pleather cushions oozing off as the second rate glue tries to hold on.  The seat next to him was empty, he didn't have many close friends, or any for that matter.  He wasn't even sure why he was in this flying tin can, free trip to Malaysia? Better then the rafts and buses he usually gets around on, cept for the whole crashing and burning, though that's happened once on each.  The turbulence was starting to get to him, he decided it'd be best to keep his mouth closed, nothing good would come out.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Travis Steele never was comfortable on airplanes, he turned to the empty seat next to him and sighed.
'Wish you were here Jessie..' he muttered to himself. Jessie had been his friend for forever, but she was too busy back home to come with him on this mysterious flight. And he didn't know anyone else well enough to bring them along for the ride. Didn't even have time to charm some woman into an exotic trip with him. Travis looked around the cramped cabin as he fidgeted nervously, running his fingers through his hair and straightening his goatee.

A trip to Malaysia in a rickety Cessna. The situations you get yourself into. Could be worse, and hey, you can probably hide in Malaysia. Suppose you should probably introduce yourself...

Travis smiled, and cleared his throat. "Hey guys, wow rough weather eh? Reminds me of the time I was barreling down Highway 2A in a borrowed tractor. A damn tornado nearly sent me off to the merry old land of Oz. I doubt we'll be in for anything like that here though. So..Oh yeah, I'm Travis. Travis Steele. Anyone know any more than I do? I just got a message about the opportunity of a lifetime... I didn't even think to check this out. Just needed to get away.."
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Renard sort of regretted selling his ticket, and giving the money to Jackson in exchange for any help he could offer on his new job, he could have used that money to buy some firepower from the Black Market. 'Here is to hoping one of my Black Market contacts is somewhere along my line of travel, or that there is a chance to steal a gun along the way." Taking a deep breath he pinched the bridge of his nose before pulling the hood of his sweatshirt further down over his face. He took a quick look around the plane at the others who had been invited to the meeting, so many people and just that much greater a chance they'd get some of the money he meant for himself.

His past two hunts had turned out to be busts, and even if he did still get payed he was behind three hundred dollars, if he didn't get them that money they'd be shut down and they needed that money ... one way or another. Looking out the window again Renard sighed and began to tap on his arm rest, today was going to be a very long day and his laptop and cell phone were put up already, getting up to get it was to much of a pain so he stayed seated and continued staring out the window.

Someone broke the silence soon after by a man, Travis Steele, a bit of an unusual name. Renard replied to the man, "Not sure any of us have more information then the other, but if I know my contractor then its something to do with an artifact or antiquity he'd like recovered. As for the opportunity of a lifetime, I doubt its much more then a lure to draw us in, whoever wrote the letter it better not be a trap. Wouldn't turn out well for them."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

"Christ!  That was rough!" Abby gripped the armrest tightly as the plane shook and did her best to keep from letting the fear get to her.
"Why don't you try staring out the window to take your mind off it?" her brother coyly suggested from the seat next to her.  Not that he had much grounds to be coy seeing as he couldn't do much more then stare at the seat in front of him and nervously chew his lower lip.
"Hardy-har-har, James.  Remind me why I let you come again?"
"Because you forgot how much fun it is to travel together?  But seriously, Abby, thanks for the invite.  This is going to be great research for my books."
"Don't thank me yet, I'm pretty sure we're gonna die on this plane."
"That's the spirit!  Nothing keeps my little sis down."
"Your relentless optimism in the face of certain death is an inspiration to me James.  Now excuse me, I'm gonna leave you now.  Why don't you try reading the books I gave you on Hindi temple architecture and see if they give you any inspiration?"
Abby left her brother and crossed to the empty seat across the aisle.  There she sat next to the man there who'd come on the trip alone ((Wesley)).  She slid a business card out of her briefcase and offered it to him.

Abigail O'Brian
Frontier Investments

"I saw you sitting alone and wondered if you might be in need of my services.  I partner up with people who need a business partner to make their goals come true.  You need suppliers, buyers, start up capital, whatever, I'm the one who can make it happen.  Got any plans for when we touch down?"

Travis smiled, and cleared his throat. "Hey guys, wow rough weather eh? Reminds me of the time I was barreling down Highway 2A in a borrowed tractor. A damn tornado nearly sent me off to the merry old land of Oz. I doubt we'll be in for anything like that here though. So..Oh yeah, I'm Travis. Travis Steele. Anyone know any more than I do? I just got a message about the opportunity of a lifetime... I didn't even think to check this out. Just needed to get away.."

Abby hands a card to the man in the seat in front of her.  "Hey there, if you are not sure what your plans are then take a card.  I've got a knack for helping talented people make use of their talents.  How about you, Travis.  What do you do?"

Someone broke the silence soon after by a man, Travis Steele, a bit of an unusual name. Renard replied to the man, "Not sure any of us have more information then the other, but if I know my contractor then its something to do with an artifact or antiquity he'd like recovered. As for the opportunity of a lifetime, I doubt its much more then a lure to draw us in, whoever wrote the letter it better not be a trap. Wouldn't turn out well for them."

Renard get's a card too.  "An artifact you say?  Care to say any more?  If you've got a lead on a major archaeological find then I know how to help you make money off it back in the states."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

((@Adwarf, btw add 7 Wealth in your char sheet. You rolled a 5, +1 to start, +1 From selling your ticket

Also, starting a chat at http://webchat.freenode.net/, Server '#Adventure', if anyone needs quick rolls/late night chatting.))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wesley fumbled for the business card, looking it over before shoving it in one of his front pockets. "Heh.. I.. uh.. I'm a Doctor.  No, wait what I mean is, well I'm really a medical.. expert, I don't really make money, so.. um.. like.. I help people and.. they help me, or they try to kill me.." Wesley sighed.. "I'm Wesley King, not.. Dr. King, not technically, uh.. Abigail right? O'Brian, sorta like Conan, the.. the late night guy.. not the um.. barbarian, though I think he spells it different, The.. Brian part not the.. I'm.. rambling."

Wesley decided to follow his earlier advice and shut up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:43:46 pm by King_of_the_weasels »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Renard took the card and looked over quickly before replying, "Thank you, I'll recommend you to my client, but he prefers to keep things within his own circles so don't get your hopes up. Regarding the artifacts I'm afraid telling any details would betray the trust bestowed on me by me client, so I'll have to keep them to myself." With that he gave a quick nod then suddenly turned back towards her, his words came out quickly as he spoke, "Wait did you say from the states? Do your perchance know a guy by the name Jackson Nillos?"

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

"Medical expert, hm, wonder what why they need someone like you on this plane?  Assuming we don't crash.  I'm not related to Conan O'Brian though, my family, we're all deadly serious.  That sounds like quite the problem you have there with the people trying to kill you though.  You ever considered a career change?"

Renard took the card and looked over quickly before replying, "Thank you, I'll recommend you to my client, but he prefers to keep things within his own circles so don't get your hopes up. Regarding the artifacts I'm afraid telling any details would betray the trust bestowed on me by me client, so I'll have to keep them to myself." With that he gave a quick nod then suddenly turned back towards her, his words came out quickly as he spoke, "Wait did you say from the states? Do your perchance know a guy by the name Jackson Nillos?"

"Jackson Nillos?  That doesn't ring a bell.  Is he involved in the East coast antiquities scene?  That's the market that I'm moving to shake up right now."

"This client of yours sure sounds interesting.  Man behind the curtain pulling all the strings?  Wonder what a facilitator like me is doing on this plane if he wants to call the shots himself."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Travis took the card, glancing at it then sliding it into his windbreaker smoothly. He'd overheard her talking to her brother, and that immediately put her off limits. Brothers were usually some of his biggest problems.

"What do I do? Well, I suppose I don't do much at all. But if it comes down to the necessity for a high-speed escape by vehicle, I could handle that. But no planes. I've also got my finger on the pulse of the community and I can figure out whats going on."

It would be crass to brag about your ability to seduce women, to a woman.
"Oh, and it seems I'm also pretty good at getting my way. Especially when a woman is involved" Travis winked and smiled, while the voice in his head fumed slightly.
You idiot.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Well I wouldn't be on this flight if I wasn't." he said bluntly, "Sorry, I don't talk freely much, or really at all.  Most of my 'patients' don't really speak English, I let their injuries and sickness do the talking."  Wesley looked out the window, only to decide lightning and storm clouds weren't gonna make him feel any less anxious, he turned back to the woman,"I like helping people, people who need it.  To uh, reiterate earlier, I wouldn't be a good investment, I tend to not charge and live off people's hospitality.  You can't really bring hospitality to a bank.  It's.. not.. I'm rambling again.  I do that, have you noticed.  I certainly have."

*Thunderclap*

Wesley jumped a bit in his seat, "And to answer your second question, I'm getting off this death trap."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:45:46 pm by King_of_the_weasels »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

It would be crass to brag about your ability to seduce women, to a woman.
"Oh, and it seems I'm also pretty good at getting my way. Especially when a woman is involved" Travis winked and smiled, while the voice in his head fumed slightly.
You idiot.

"A ladies man you say?  Not really my kind of business, darn prostitution laws and whatnot.  But a wheelman; those are always fun to be around.  My sis used to do the street races back in the day so I grew up around motor heads.  Fun times.  You ever do races?"

Abby turns her attention back to the doctor.  "Well it sounds to me like you have a bit of a problem in your business model there.  Are you looking for paying work?"
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I'm simply looking to get away." Wesley said plainly scratching his neck, turning away from her once more.  Wesley tries to close the small curtain used to hide the window, but the ring has snapped down the middle, not that the hole filled curtain would hide anything.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:46:00 pm by King_of_the_weasels »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Mica sank down in her chair—a short woman with shorter black hair and vaguely Eastern-looking—she didn't tighten the seatbelt all the way, and had enough wiggle room to do that. The heaving and swaying of the plane weren't doing her mood any favors, and her eyebrows were drawn down in irritation. In front of her, someone named Wesley—which sounded a great deal like 'weasel', an animal she didn't like—was talking with another person, and someone was pushing business cards into the face of everyone in reach. The plane jumped then, and Mica quickly straightened up again.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:12:24 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Eri relaxed herself in her seat, gazing out the window into the skies above. The ocean, she did well not to mind - a vast expanse of water. Cold, wet, water. She hated water, the static bodies of death just waiting for someone to slip in.

In truth, she should've learned how to swim early in her life. The woman slipped onto the seat next to her, empty. The second ticket she received was sold for muchly needed cash, part of which was sent to her best friend back home as an early birthday gift, and as a future favor if everything went well.

The people in front of her were chatting, this at least she could tell, but she would leave talking to them later when the plane hit solid ground. She took note of their names, though, wouldn't want to leave the introductions for later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17