Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Gotterdammerung  (Read 30741 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Alone in the Woods
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2012, 11:22:16 pm »

Ashley raises an eyebrow as Travis is pulled in before walking back to the group, the feeling of dread washing over her.

"Well, I don't know what the hell that was all about... I guess we can wait for an hour or two before checking on him."

She remembers Travis' posture and attitude as he blocked the door, typically that of someone who thinks he's going to get some. She knows because she's seen it before, many times...

"I mean, it's not like theres anyone else around here to ask for help from. What do you guys think about waiting for a while?"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2012, 11:29:23 pm »

Richard nods at Ashleys words. Thoughts mostly elsewhere.

"I think that is a good idea... I'm going to go look around a bit."

With that Richard left the group, walking into the woods a ways until he was out of listening distance. So long as he was waiting he might as well put the time to good use. He leaned up against a tree and pressed the play button on the recorder. Lets hear what it had to say.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2012, 11:51:26 pm »

Your Grandfathers words echo from the recorder. His voice is a rich, steady baritone, made rough by years of cigars and hard living-but he sounds younger here, at least by a year. It feels comforting to you.

"Rich. My boy...I've got be quick. We're about to seal the box up more or less permanently-once it closes, we won't be able to open it back up without attracting the Hand...Hell, he's probably on his way here now...he moves fast once he's got a fix on it.

(There's a scuffling in the background. You can make out muffled curses.)

If you're hearing this...this seal is now broken. You're not losing your mind, by the way. What you just experienced was courtesy of an especially gifted friend of mine in the Agency. Not what you're thinking of, but close enough. It was the only way I could think of letting you know the stakes. Don't bother reminding of this tape-he's scrubbing my memory after we're done, so the Hand can't use it against us.

But if you're listening to his, something had gone wrong. And I can't risk you going up against the Hand unprepared. It'll come for you Rich. It wants the Crystal. Don't let him have it. No matter what he promises you.

The place you'll be going to-it's the start of closing Aza (for the Love of God, don't say his real name out loud) back in his cage, him and his Hand. I put this box in your case the last time you left-the seal is getting weaker, and when it breaks, he's coming for me. Forces have begun to move in opposition of us. It's better if you have it on you, it will buy us some tme...

(Talking in the background. It sounds...nervous. Rich makes out the faint words "Contact sighted...")

I'll hold him off as long as I can-though it might be hard to figure a way to do that without killing it enough to make it invincible. Eventually, it will get me, or learn I don't have the Crystal. Then it will be coming for you. You're asking yourself why I left this in your lap. Well, I did alot of good in my time. I helped people. But I left alot of messes, as well. Ones that, I hate to say, I'm too damn old to clean up. It's going to be up to you, boy...I intend to tell you all of this one day. The Seal. The Hand. About that Woman...but honestly, I'm not sure if I'll make it this time.

(There's a long pause, but you can hear him breathing.)

If I don't, you'll meet a friend of mine. Her name is Kathryn Devere. She's a nice looking redhead, looks like a lawyer. I knew her mother...She's as tough as nails, and she's got gifts like you wouldn't believe-she can make the little show you just saw look like a cheap made-for-tv movie. She'll find you. Just make sure it's her. Ask how much I bet on Spitting Fire. She should say $22. Then ask her what I did with the money. If she laughs, you know it's her. The Hand can impersonate, it can mock, it can even steal memories...but it can't replicate real emotions. You'll figure it out for yourself, I hope.

It's cliched, but trust no one you meet from now on, at first sight-especially old friends, or women you were close to. The softer you are for someone, the more likely it is to pick up on that. Test them first. Watch for the signs. I know that's a recipe for insanity, but it's the only way to stay alive.

(You hear a loud sound over the tape-possibly a gunshot. Your Grandfather talks a little quicker)

...That's it. I could tell more...but it'll have to wait. Just stay safe, Rich-if you see the hand, kill it and drive it back. It's not hard, not at first. I killed it damn near three dozen times before we sealed the crytsal in that box-that's what kept it from finding us till now, but that doesn't matter anymore. Once this seal is broken, it's not going to be fixed-Our little trick here will only buy a year or so....It shouldn't still be resistant to those methods I used on it by the time you hear this, except maybe the sword I first pierced it with, for a laugh. I get the feeling it will enjoy starting the game over again.

As for methods, I suggest you do so in an imaginative way, since it'll only get harder next time.

I can only hope I'll have trained you well enough when the day comes. But you've got Dockson blood-I know you'll do your best. I love you, son. Keep the torch lit. Don't let him have it. I know, you'll be thinking this is too big for you-an End of the World deal-you'll be thinking maybe it's not real at all.

I thought the same when my Grandfather told me. I didn't believe him...and someone I cared very much for was lost to me. Don't let the same happen to you, son."

*fwip fwip fwip*

The tape runs silents, then cuts out.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:57:47 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2012, 12:11:40 am »

"As we're all waiting, I'll...just sidle over there and...prioritize my business...It's been, like, hours."

Stifling a  :-\ expression, Eri moved off behind a few of the trees and foliage that she was sure nobody would try to peek through, and that was without spiderwebs, and checked that wallet.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2012, 01:09:47 am »

Ashley wandered over and sat down in the sand next to Renard. She sighed and gazed out at the ocean before looking at the man sitting next to her. He looked scared, but not of the sudden type of fear, but more of the seeping, sleep-with-one-eye-open type of fear. She cleared her throat to get his attention.

"So, what do you think is going to happen to us? Think whoever is in there will help us?"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2012, 08:51:44 am »

"After this we'll head for that cliffside road that is for sure, but after that I have no clue, at the risk of sounding cliche here, I'd say our future is shrouded in mystery. As for if whoever is in there will help, I'd say its likely, but she may help us in a way we wouldn't think she would. Anywho all we can do is wait to see the end of it, I hate the waiting ..." Renard replied to her before laying the spear on the ground beside him, and laying back to relax, if only slightly.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2012, 09:35:56 am »

Eri opens the deceased pilots wallet, trying to be respectful.

She found a small amount of crumpled American Dollars, and fair deal of Crisp, folded Malaysian Currency, which she recognizes as Ringgits. There's a fair amount here.

The ID's all say "Jim Henrickson" that he was aged 55 and a resident of New York, New York.

As she thought, there is a picture of the mans family here-Mom, Dad, three Brothers-then a pretty wife, and two pretty daughters, and a Dog-a Labrador Retriever. Just a happy family. They seem be grown up, now-another picture shows them in high school, then college, and another shows one of them in the cockpit of her own small plane, suggesting she's following in his footsteps.

Further in, you find a spare glance into his history-an old photo of a cocky, grinning kid standing in front of a Jet Fighter on a tarmac, with a much younger version of the wife in the family photo, holding up their wedding rings. He probably was a pilot in the Vietnam war.

You also find an Organ Donor Card, and a Bronze Alcoholics Anonymous sobriety token-one year clean, and a lifelong membership card to the 'Star Trek' Fan Club-with an ID of him grinning (his smile didn't really change over the years) wearing Worf-style head ridges and a starfleet uniform. You pull out a napkin with a womans name and number on it in pen...which would mean alot of things, along with a 1977 era Greyhound bus ticket to Reno, which he apparently never used, but kept for some reason.

To your surprise, the last thing that pops out is a perfectly folded Origami crane-oddly beautiful, undamaged by the crash in any way.

There's no dramatic last words to be found here, no "in case you find this, tell my family" note. The man in these photos-the man who lived this life-died with a satisfied mind, having lived a good, full life. He had no regrets about what he had to do.

You feel slightly guilty, going through his life like this...and thought that all of it ended buried in a lonely, unmarked grave somewhere in the Jungles of Malaysia could bring one to tears.

Quote from: Pilots Wallet
-Assorted Cash (1 Wealth Worth in Ringgits/Malay Currency)
-Personal Effects

--

Everyone

A slow hour passes, and Travis does not emerge, nor is any sign of movement seen from the house.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2012, 10:01:02 am »

Mica paces for a while. It seems that entering after the man would be beneficial to the group survival, and it would be prudent to see him safe or make him be. Perhaps he needs help and can't come out. Therefore, Mica must go inside and see what this building shall yield. It's not like she's worried slightly for the man. She had many logical reasons.

Thus, Mica tries to sneak inside, making as little noise as possible and with crude weapon at ready.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2012, 10:36:03 am »

Eri lowered the wallet as the feelings washed over her. Jim, a man on his last mission - dead. All of this, and the only thing she had was this single object to tell of his demise.

The man who saved them by going for a water landing in a freak storm. The plane was separated in two, yet it lacked any sort of combustion from the fuel tanks or at least most of the back. It was split in two, with the whole roster of passengers alive.

He couldn't have been that incompetent!

Her thoughts turned towards their first meeting, the 'tail' and 'nose' group, how most of them were practically unscathed - other than superficial and non-lethal injuries, except for the few who had such...and even then they weren't as deadly as from a true plane crash.

Sadness and sorrow welled up within her. They lived for some reason, yet...she couldn't shake the feeling that they lived for a reason. The only casualty was Jim, with his only belongings soiled in her hands.

Well, now she felt guilty.

"Oh [God] What Have I Done!?"

Eri heard the sounds of startled feet and carefully hid the conscience-stained wallet back in it's hiding place, hoping that as she stepped out of cover...oh great.

It looks like everyone heard that.

"Err, I stepped on a spider. A big one. Things grow pretty big...here.

Did anyone see Travis? Hospitality is taking quite a long time..."

She hoped that nobody took the event...in a wrong way. It was at least obvious that by the number of eyes that turned in her direction, the familiar ones of Travis were not among them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:42:20 am by Tiruin »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2012, 10:42:02 am »

Ashley shrugged helplessly.

"It's been an hour, he's taken long enough and nothing's happened. We need to get moving before it gets dark, and I really want to get away from this place."

She stands up and brushes the sand off and does a stretch before picking up her pole again, quietly slipping the multitool from her pack into her pocket, one which she knew had a knife blade or two in it.

"I think it's time we talked with this mystery person for ourselves. But let's take a quiet look first."

Put the multitool into my pocket when noone's looking and stop Mica from going inside. We'll take a look through the window first. Take 20 on the stealth check.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2012, 10:45:14 am »

"Heh, good idea. Might as well do that..." Eri replied sheepishly. "I just hope nothing bad happened to him."

Use binoculars, Spot check on that house from my position for anything strange, including that fence or fishing nets nearby.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:42:01 pm by Tiruin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 05, 2012, 09:31:38 am »

[Eri Spot 2+7=9]

Eri
peers through the binoculars, but all she gets is that woozy, dipsy feeling-like looking through a Fun-House mirror.

Ashley and Mica are prepared to go full on Metal Gear Solid into the witches house, when...Travis emerges from the front door, staggering a bit. He's unhurt-and he's wearing a new pair of clothes, with a light jacket...The others exchange confused glances.

Meanwhile...

Travis keeps shaking his head, trying to recall his last hour. It makes his head hurt, and causes him to smile. Oh, it was good. His dream girl is leaning in the door frame again, smiling herself-she seems to have taken your shirt for herself, which is...quite a nice fit on her body, despite being a big overlarge. You feel something heavy on your neck-some sort of amulet-and a circular leather tube in your left hand. It rattles with thick paper inside.

She breaks the silence.

"...there. You're ready...Travis Alexander Steele. I liked your name the most this time." She savors your full name, speaking it slowly, as she would invoke a Holy prayer.

"I lke this shirt. It's very soft. The 21st century at least has comfortable clothes, I guess.

Ahem...but, to business as discussed. Payment for services rendered?"
She says with a mischevious grin.

She motions to each of your new items.

"The amulet you wear, it is precious...it will protect you from Her eye-and allow me to be with you, no matter how far away you are.

The map will help you find where you are going. Or at least keep you out of trouble.

The jacket, well, that's a present from me to you. Since I will it, you will be protected from arrows, spears and blades. I don't know what you meant about 'bull-its', but it should keep you safe from those as well.

Yes. You left three things here...so you can take these three things with you. Those are the rules."

She leans out and kisses you on the mouth-slow, sweet, full.

"You're free to go now....Travis. We will meet again. We have already met a hundred times or more, after all. Your face and body may change, but the color of the soul behind your eyes is always the same.

I know. I always ask you to come back, but you never do..."

Your friends are waiting. The woman who helped you-if she has helped you-seems to be enjoying watching you. Until you go, waiting to see if you have anything to say. As she explained to you-what you can remember-you always go, and she always stays. She'll be alone until you come back, naturally.

That's how it's always been.

Quote from: Travis got...
-Teardrop Jade Amulet (Protection from...?)
-Leather Jacket +2 (Light Armor. It looks like something an Aviator from WW2 would favor. Classic cool. It's comfortable, and strong...it feels stronger than you would have guessed. Acts as a regular Leather Jacket armor, and gives you a +2 AC Bonus on top of it's base stats.)
-Mapcase (Unopened)

The woman seems to be growing...dimmer...as you watch. But this all feels...so familiar. She smiles sadly. You've seen that look too. But you always move on, don't you?

What now?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 09:36:29 am by Dwarmin »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Circular Motion
« Reply #207 on: August 05, 2012, 09:50:32 am »

Ashley sighed with relief, which she found slightly strange. Was she really that worried? Aside from him obviously flaunting his stuff with a mystery woman living in the middle of nowhere, he seemed relatively fine.

"So, had a good time did you? You know each other or something?"

She rolled her eyes and smirked.

"Whatever. Did she have directions or anything that we could use?"

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 05, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »

"Until we meet again." And with that, Travis blew a kiss, and bowed slightly. Then, he stepped out into the daylight to meet with his traveling companions.
-----

Walking away from the house, Travis smiled and raised an eyebrow in a way he hoped was endearing. "I know her now. And I got a map. So we're set to move on I suppose."

He looked back at the house. It seemed colder, emptier now. Fading like a dream into memory. In a way he didn't want to look away, didn't want to lose sight of it in case it vanished and he never found it again.

I feel like I'll never find her again. Like I could search all this lifetime and never again. Maybe thats how its supposed to be. Or maybe i'm just crazy.

Open ye Map case. Consult Ye Map!
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2012, 12:43:49 pm »

Travis takes a look at the map...it's modern, made of some sort of silky plastic that feels like an HD tv screen, but it's thin as paper. There's a lightly glowing blue dot showing, most likely, where the plane crashed. How it knows this...well, Trent gets the feeling he should just accept it. Like he accepted her.

He spots the elusive Johor Bahru down South...way down south, then turns the map over, a bit puzzled. It has a small inscription.

Arnold Steele Enterprises ltd. 2032
Quad HD-Mapping System (Set to Pre-Fall 2012 Geography)
~Always take the leap of Faith...but have your chute ready, just in case

Well, that's sure odd. You remember the Woman saying time didn't mean the same thing to her as it does to you-only, the time you spend together.

Arnold is a good name for a boy, Trent thinks.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17