Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Gotterdammerung  (Read 30728 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Dawn Breaks
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:50 pm »

The creature cocks it's head to one, as if savoring your question.

"Oh, you caught me. Good show, old bean.

Go ahead. Shoot me. Don't shoot me.

I'll come back.

I always come back better.

Kill me with a gun, and I'll never fear your firearms again.
Cut off my head, I won't need it the next time.
Light me on fire, next meeting, I'll walk through flames without flinching.

You don't understand, still? Kill me a hundred times...a thousand times. It doesn't matter.

I only have to win once.
"

It takes another step toward you, grinning.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:42:34 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2012, 08:44:01 pm »

At it's comment Richard jumped away, grabbing a rapier on the ground. He turned and lunged at the monster, driving the point of the blade towards it's black heart.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2012, 08:57:17 pm »

The creature makes no move to dodge-the blade drives in bitter, and deep. You drive it into the ground, pinning it to the floor.

The Hand of Azathoth still feels pain, apparently. It spits up blood.

"...Good show. I don't like swords, anyway. Best we...get this one out of the way. You'll need to be a bit more cre..creative next t..time.."

It laughs, a sick sound.

"See you soon, Rich." The Hand says, a smile plasted on it's face in death.

After a few quiet moments, the body dissolves into liquid shadow-it runs back into the mirror as if drawn by magnets.

And begins reforming itself in a mockery of your image.

So. You run...and run...and run...

Clutching the Core of Light in your hand.

Richard snap back to reality, shaking his head. He's back in the plane. No time seems to have passed. No one has reacted in any way to what he experienced. What...happened?

He look into his case. It seems, as he was putting away his tools, his hands brushed against a strange black box-it's the same type of black stone the walls of that place were made, and the geometry is also similar. He opens it, seeing two items resting within.

A small shard of Gemstone, glowing brightly and defiantly.

And a tape recorder-all you have to do is press play and listen. Your Grandfather was fond of using these.

You notice the lid of the black-stone box seems to have been broken on the impact of the plane crash-it lies helplessly askew. There was some sort of seal on the front-something like red sap, but it feels like wax. Now the seal is broken.

You ponder all of this, and what it means...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:58:51 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2012, 09:35:55 am »

OOC: Missing Skyru, Maniac, Taricus and KOTW.

Though Skyrus going on vacation, so I'm phasing her out momentarily. KOTW was waiting for her, but he should really go ahead and post now.

And Maniac hasn't been on in the last two days...so we can skip him...

Taricus is just a lazy SOB.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:19 am »

She waded out of sleep to the world of the waking, feeling comfortable against a soft but firm surface. Maybe slightly paradoxial, but that was that. A moment passed, and she realized an important fact.
"Gah!"
Mica abruptly stood up, embarrassed but not about to admit it. She pivots on one foot and stalks away as swiftly as she can manage to eat rations, then tags along with Eri, running quickly to catch up.

Eat two rations.
Follow Eri to the hut, looking for anything that's sharp and metal.
Hang back when she actually gets to the hut, in case the hut's occupants are hostile.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2012, 11:07:04 am »

Wesley feels as if a great weight has been lifted from his chest, before he's abruptly awoken by a hushed yelp, he aches as he pushes himself up into a seated position before remembering where he was, it was slightly less favorable then his usual sleeping accommodations.  He watched as people got off to go to some hut he hadn't even heard about.

"Wait.. what, were is everyone going again?"
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2012, 12:11:53 pm »

"I saw what looks like a fishing hut somewhere to the east, on the beach, as well as a road." Ashley called back, still poking around the wreckage.

"I figured that since we might be days away from civilization, even if we follow the road, we need supplies or help in order to make it to a town and we might find someone or something there to help us, like a map or something. It's better than staying here, that's for sure."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2012, 12:57:54 pm »

"Oh, okay then."

Get up, find a stick, follow people.  Carry medpack.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »

"Well... If we take our time to move up slowly we could forage and hunt for food on the way there. Saves us from having to worry about supplies for a while. If we had someone that could guide us without getting lost, we're pretty much accounted for."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2012, 01:11:00 pm »

"It's on the beach, we have a 50/50 chance of finding it if we just keep following the beach in a random direction. Not much navigation is really required..."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2012, 06:48:10 pm »

"Hey Ash. Didn't you say you saw something right before we arrived on land?

"Suppose this place is haunted, eh?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 30, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »

Ashley just gives a 'are you serious' look back to Eri.

"Well, we have to go anyway. Haunted or not, it's better than just staying out here with noone knowing where we are. And it was the hut and a road that I saw when we were going down."

She pauses for a moment and turns to look at the group in general.

"Y'know, did anyone ELSE have the presence of mind to look out the window when we were crashing? I'm feeling like I may have been the only one to do so here..."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 30, 2012, 09:45:01 pm »

Renard walked in, and replied to Ashley "Yeah I had plenty of time to look out the window, I wasn't occupied with plummeting to my probable death at all. I'll be in whatever is left of the cockpit, and would you please hold off on moving till we are ready to go, not that I don't love the idea of running off into an unknown jungle with no weapons and some 'thing' trying to kill us." Towards the end the sarcasm in his words slipped, and for a moment he sounded as if he believed Ashley's words, but he shook his head at the notion.  With that he went into the cockpit, or what was left of it and began searching through it gathering any of the radio equipment, and more importantly the black box of the plane.

Search the cockpit or whatever resembles it for any radio gear, and the black box. Take all of both if I find them. (take twenty on this roll as well if possible)

Use the branch, vines, and some scrap to make a spear. The vine will tie the scrap, which is preferably sharp, tightly to the end of the branch, and thus make a simple spear. (Take 10 if possible, listing multiple actions since everyone is so jumpy and doesn't want to take time and prepare)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:45:25 pm by adwarf »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2012, 09:50:11 pm »

((You didn't see the fairy, only Ashley did, much to my frustration...))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters of Fortune-Play Thread/Act 2: Alone in the Woods
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2012, 09:52:03 pm »

Spoiler: Party Loot: (click to show/hide)

The party pins their hopes on a long shot.

Act 2, Scene 2

Eri Arloest
Eri chokes down the 'tasty cake' bars with a grimace.

It's not so much the taste, as the texture...gaaah. Llywn might be able to disarm a guy with a knife and kickbox his teeth in without breaking a sweat (or messing up her hair), but put her in front of an oven and she becomes an awkward teenager again.

Afterwards, she attends to the Pilot, more or less alone, though Travis helps-even if he seems distracted by something.

The pilots name-tag reads "Jim Henrickson"...but, it's not like anyone here got a chance to know him. Eri and her friends says a few words and commit his body to earth. As she's about to bury the body, she spies something that fell out of his pocket as she moved his body...it looks like a wallet. Against her better judgement, she wonders about picking it up.

Will she?

No matter her choice, she moves on with the rest, her heart a bit heavier than the rest.

Inventory
Medium Scrap Metal Pry Bar, in left hand (Improvised Melee Weapon, does 1d4 Blunt or Piercing Damage. Looks like it will be bent out of shape only after a few solid strikes.)
2xFirst Aid Kits (Attached to belt)
Range Pack (On back)
-Compass
-Penlight
-Binoculars
-Trail Rations ( 8 )
-Sleeping Bag

Richard Dockson Jr

Dock closes his case and follows the others...he wonders about the recorder. It might shed some light on this.

Not that anything matters, if they don't get out of this jungle alive.

Quote from: Richard Status
(20/20 HP remains, now 0 total NLD)
Life Jacket, Being worn: +10 to Swim Checks, Can Take 10 even when threatened

Dockson Legacy Expedition Case, Strapped Over Shoulder (Can hold up to 10 pds of equipment, but the case and it's contents will count as weightless if Richard holds it. Extremely difficult to break into or damage by ordinary means. It contains a sundry of random equipment and trinkets Dockson Sr gathered in his travels-Richard can occasionally pull plot-needed items from it's depths with a search roll.)
-Zip Tie Cuffs (25)
-Chem Light Sticks (5)
-Compass
-Binoculars
-Flashlight
-Multipurpose Tool
-Lock Release gun
-Beretta 93R (Semiautomatic Pistol, does 2d6 Ballistic Damage. Currently unloaded. Looks to be in pristine condition.)
-Spare 9mm Beretta Clip (20 rounds total)
-The Last Crystal-Glyph (Glowing Slightly)
-Personal Recorder (Unplayed)
-Black Stone Box (Seal Broken) 

Renard Brosac

Renard joins the rest in some quick scavenging.

(Luck 4,2)

He finds 20 feet of stretchy vine on the forest floor, and a heavy branch he can use an improvised club.

Well, it can't get any worse, right?

The Radio is literally melted beyond repair-Abby could have told you-and the black box, you have no idea where to even look.

You move on with the team, anyway, piercing together your crappy spear as you walk.

-Branch, -10 ft of Vine
+Archaic Scrap Spear

Sure, it's crappy-but it's a Hell of a lot better than what everyone else is carrying, you think to yourself. Except for that Dockson guy with the automatic pistol. Yeah.

Now, only if you know how to use a spear. Point and jab, right?

Quote from: Renard Status
(16/18 HP remains, now 0 total NLD)
Inventory
Archaic Scrap Spear, in both hands (Large Melee Weapon, does 1d8 Piercing Damage. Made of tight vines lashing a scrap edge to a long branch. Seems a bit fragile.)
Stretchy Vine (10 ft)

Locked Black Briefcase (5 digit code)
-?
-?
-?
-?
-?

Ashley Lockman
Ashley spends her time looking for more useful materials..

(Luck=3, 2)

She finds a tattered piece of clear plastic-enough material to make a tent for one, for example-and a long pole-some sort of strut from the plane-that looks to be in bad shape. She bends it into as straight a shape she can manage, but it's not perfect.

Ashley is about to head off, only pausing so they can bury whats-his-name the pilot who got them into this mess.

She waits, though-she'll need them. For now.

Quote from: Ashley Status
(18/18 HP remains)
Inventory
Scrap Staff, in both hands (Large Improvised Melee Weapon, does 1d6 Blunt Damage. Badly bent-good enough for walking, but not much else.)
Survival Kit (On back, Providing +10 to Swim Checks, Can Take 10 even when threatened)
-1xFlare gun (1 Round ammunition)
-3xChemical Light sticks
-1xCompass
-1xMultipurpose Tool
-20xSquare feet of Clear Plastic
Day Pack (on shoulder)
-Pocket Flashlight
-Casual Clothes
-Cellphone
-Flashlight
-Duct Tape

Rachel Fergusson

Rachel follows along, not really saying or doing anything.

[Luck Roll=3]

As she walks with the others, Rachel spots and slaps a particularly nasty looking mosquito that landed on her arm, but not before it gets a bite. Ow!

[Rachel Fort Save=??]

Quote from: Rachel Status
(17/20 HP remains, now 0 total NLD)
Inventory
Day Pack (On left shoulder)
-Flashlight (Battery 100%)
-Trail Rations (36 bars)
-Rope (30 ft nylon)
-Knife (1d4 piercing damage, 19-20 crit range)

Mica

Mica scoots from a potentially awkward situation. She doesn't think Wesley realized anything...

She downs two of the bars Eri left out of the party and almost gags. What is she trying to do, poison them?

[Luck roll=3]

Searching with the others, she finds a sharp pole that can be used a rough spear. Well, better than nothing...

She follows the rest onwards.

Quote from: Mica Status
(17/20 HP remains)
Scrap Spear, in both hands (Large Improvised Melee Weapon, does 1d6 Piercing Damage. It's got a pointy end!)

Abby
Abby doesn't speak much, her brother helping move along with the party.

Quote from: Abby Status
(16/16 HP remains)
Inventory

Travis

Travis tags along with the others, almost in a giddy mood. If anything, the dream is now becoming more vivid in his mind.

He can make other things now...the woman sitting on her bed. The woman pouring a cup of tea for two, smiling softly. Something silken drifting to a wooden board floor...and a voice. Telling him to visit her.

This thoughts are strange. Travis at times wonders if he might still be dreaming. But if so, it's a good dream.

Quote from: Travis Status
(14/17 HP remains, now 0 total NLD)
Carrying Nothing

Wesley
Wesley is a bit confused, but it seems everyones mind is made up...

[Luck Roll=1]

Unlike the others, he doesn't find any usable weapons-most of the better ones have been taken, and to his consternation, his team mates have trashed the rest looking for 'good' ones. He might have been able to put something together eventually, but the party starts walking off, and he's inclined to follow them...

Wesley thinks he could use one of his medical tools as an improvised weapon in a pinch, but the thought is mildly revolting.

Quote from: Wesley Status
(17/17 HP remains, now 0 total NLD)
Inventory
Medical Kit (9/10 uses remain)
---------------------------------------------------------
Entire Team

Eri proves the able survivalist for the party...

Eri Survival Roll [7+10=17]

She keeps the entire party on track, and manages to find 4 meals worth of fruit along the way.

They reach the beach, and after a big of argument, settle on what they hope is the right direction. The compasses seem to be working again, anyway. The group realizes none of them are particuarly trained in navigation-Wesley, the smartest of the group, it impressed into the job against his will.

[Encounter Roll=4]

The trip is more or less peaceful. The steady surf of the beach is relaxing, and the sun isn't so bad today. If it wasn't for their dire circumstance, they might even enjoy it...

The party finds the shack and the dock mentioned before, sometime after noon.

Mica takes her cue and sneaks out the back of the party, trying to blend in with the scenery, and the party spares a moment.

~Spot Checks~
[Eri: 3+7=10]
[Ashley: 12+5=17]
[Wesley: 12+3=15]
[Abby: 9+2=11]
[Renard: 9+1=10]
[Rachel: 17+0=17]
[Mica: 12+0=12]
[Richard: 12+0=12]
[Travis: 12-1=11]

It's not too shabby-while it seems to lack modern amenity, it is obviously well taken care of-the jungle around is carefully pruned away, with a tan-board slat fence encircling it. There's a small shed in the back, and the windows are decorated with exotic flowers.

In fact, one notices it barely seems to have been affected by yesterdays weather at all. It's made of tough red bricks, and even has a small chimney-there's nets and rods laying against the front porch, which suggests a well off fisherman owns this place. But there's no overt sign of damage here-perhaps someone cleaned up the litter early this morning.

Ashley is dumbfounded, though. She was sure she just saw a meager shack-not a well to do home like this. Was the storm and distance playing tricks with her vision?

Rachel and Ashley do notice strange markings engraved along the enture length of the low fence. They'll have to get closer to make them out.

The rest of party notices the dock is empty save for a single tiny rowboat-and theres smoke coming from the chimney. Whoever lives here might be home.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:31:03 am by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17