Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia 5 - That's the last of them. [Game Over!]  (Read 62778 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia 5 - The Crown of the Keeper [Day 1]
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2012, 01:17:17 pm »

Didn't realize it was a bad thing to do. Sorry I guess. unvote
Uh. So you didn't vote him because you actually suspected him?

BMC, what happened with the 'only townies are lynched D1' mindset? Didn't want to pass a perfectly good bandwagon, did you?
I thought he was town right up until he freaked out and refused to answer questions, which is a classic failure to deliver, coupled with petty insults and belittling the game, I feel like he has resigned to a loss.

I feel like Irony is making a mountain out of a molehill and Mr.D is being strung along to look scummy and is cracking under heavy pressure.
Funny. Later you mention that nobody's stringing him along but himself, but your phrasing rather strongly suggests it's an intentional ploy by someone else to set him up (hence "being strung along to look scummy" and not just "looking scummy"). So what's your story, and why can't you seem to get it straight?
Yep, it's funny that my opinion has changed over the course of a game. It's not like someone suddenly seems MORE suspicious over the course of a game while they flail and throw a tantrum and fail to deliver on FIVE whole questions.

You did not answer the question at all.
As lame and cheap as this sounds, late posting is a factor. I was checking this and Paranormal 21 at the same time, and had a post regarding Mr.D's  bad vibe put together and then Irony posted that wall of text and questions, so I simply closed the tab and continued to read paranormal and posted quite a bit later, which could be part of the reason I didn't really answer it.

Irony:You make a good point. I always feel like the night actions are the concrete, "hey something acutally happened, let's draw conclusions from that" type thing, and is what has probably caused a D1 lynch or two.

Hapah: Get your drunk post from paranormal over here.

@Dariush: after someone throws a tantrum and repeatedly fails to post answers and then flat out refuses to, it's probably someone who's sick of trying to cover for themselves. And you're awfully jumpy with that vote.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2012, 01:23:59 pm »

Quote from: BMC
Hapah: Get your drunk post from paranormal over here.
I'd rather just forget that I ever made it. It's more than a little embarassing, I passed from "funny but coherent" drunk to "wHoo I'ma pla yMafia" drunk. S'not very fun!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »

Vote Count:

Bookthras:
Hapah:
Urist Imiknorris: zombie urist
NativeForeigner:
Dariush:
blackmagechill: Urist Imiknorris, Dariush
Scelly9:
Mr. Dwarfinton: Scelly9, IronyOwl, blackmagechill
zombie urist:
IronyOwl: Bookthras

Not voting:  NativeForeigner, Hapah, Mr. Dwarfinton

Day 1 will last until Wednesday, 7/25 at 11 PM EST, ~8 hours from this post.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2012, 02:20:22 pm »

Why aren't you non-voters voting?

BMC:
I feel like Irony is making a mountain out of a molehill and Mr.D is being strung along to look scummy and is cracking under heavy pressure.
Funny. Later you mention that nobody's stringing him along but himself, but your phrasing rather strongly suggests it's an intentional ploy by someone else to set him up (hence "being strung along to look scummy" and not just "looking scummy"). So what's your story, and why can't you seem to get it straight?
Yep, it's funny that my opinion has changed over the course of a game. It's not like someone suddenly seems MORE suspicious over the course of a game while they flail and throw a tantrum and fail to deliver on FIVE whole questions.
The post I'm talking about came before Mr. D's "fuck it" response. You progressed from claiming he was being set up to claiming he was being scummy by himself, with no clear reason as to why. It couldn't have been anything Mr.D said - his only post between your conflicting claims was to state that he'd deal with Irony's questions later.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2012, 02:34:35 pm »

UI: Because I need to reread when I'm not on the bottle. I'll get a vote in before night. Ideally I'd like to ask some more questions as well, but it'll be so close to night by then that I probably won't get responses. I guess they can answer come day, though.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2012, 02:53:19 pm »

IronyOwl. That last post was a bit extreme, don't you think? Most of what was directed at Mr. D was you complaining about how he's complaining about how you're asking him all them questions making statements. Assuming. It's out of character for you to blow up so hard on someone for something so little and ultimately irrelevant. A few things stood out that make me think you're scum pressing for a mislynch.

The first thing:

Your reading comprehension sucks and that's going to get you lynched.

So you're saying that you're pushing for his lynch because his reading comprehension sucks and not because you think he might be scum?

You then criticize his answers and tell him how he got it wrong, but the closest you get to trying to convince us he's scum is by suggesting that he might not be thinking about his answers. That isn't a scumtell in itself - just poor play.

Now here's what got me. You correct his "10,000+" statement by reposting your questions, proceeding to count them out for him, and yelling at him about how he's overreacting. You managed to fill more than half of your post regarding Mr. D with non-constructive whiny bullshit. You didn't add anything new, you didn't try a different angle, you didn't even really hunt. You just reposted your past questions and added commentary. If that's not buffering, I don't know what is. It's only purpose is to bully newtown into giving up and getting a free mislynch.

And then we get this gem:

Answer the goddamned questions or we'll lynch you as panicky shifty scum. No townie should have an excuse to not answer the kind of questions you've been handed.

This comes off as "Oh right, I'm supposed to be saying why he's scum. I should call him scum here!" to me. It's still "Answer the questions the way I want you to or we'll lynch you because you're an easy target!"

Other than the fact that he hasn't answered your questions in a manner that meets your standards, why else do you think he's scum? Because the way I'm seeing it he's more likely newtown than newscum and you're scum trying to get him to break with minimal effort on your part. The way you're attacking but not hunting him and the way he seems to have given up make me almost sure of this.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2012, 02:54:34 pm »

Apologies for lack of posting, I was unexpectedly away yesterday. I'm glad to see the extension passed, and hope to catch up later tonight.

Where have you been, Bookthras? Your lack of activity is unusual.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »

Been away almost all week, just coming back a couple of hours ago. Working on wall of ketchup text for this game. Coming Soon.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2012, 04:21:26 pm »

Mr.Dwarfinton:
Oops I forgot the paranoia part, well I got lynched on day 2 last time because I was apparently acting scummy when I was a townie. This is only my third mafia game and I'm fairly bad at mafia. That's why I'm paranoid.
This is utterly awful. First, you lie: last game you weren't town, you were a brother. Second, a townie does not fear death. Doesn't seek it, sure, but can win even after death -- hell, in fact, you won the last game.

I voted Scelly because he voted me and he was giving me a bad vibe.
...Did you just admit to an OMGUS?
What's that?
OMGUS stands for Oh My God You Suck. It's when you vote someone because they are voting you. Its also a scumtell.
Didn't realize it was a bad thing to do. Sorry I guess. unvote
This is AWFULER! First, it's not a "bad" thing to do, and "scumtells" aren't dogma. Vote or don't whoever you wish, with or without reasons. People will make assumptions on your alignment and intentions based on your votes, unvotes, and reasons or lack thereof, and since it's common for scum to be unnerved by people voting them, they sometimes reflexively vote them back, thus betraying their true alignment. It's not an ettiquete or taboo thing. It's something that will make others make certain assumptions.

These together are awful enough that I see the merit on the case against you. Regardless of whether you hang or not, however, I sincerely encourage you to join the new Beginners' Mafia Game here, and read now the "Resources and Guidelines" spoiler texts at the bottom of the first post. This will answer your questions about OMGUSing and several other things.

But your ignorance does not exculpate you, on the contrary: a scum that knows an OMGUS is a common scumtell will watch out for it and avoid it more often than not. It's a newbie scum who will fall pray to the reflex reaction of voting whoever voted them, because they don't know better, and won't realise how much they're giving away. Newbie scum will also stop doing whatever they are doing as soon as they are called scummy for it. Like you did.

It's really more than can be given a pass as "panicky noobtown".

I'm really conflicted, because I thought IronyOwl tunneling on him was scummy. And if Irony is indeed scum, his lynch would be much more useful than that of Mr.D's if he's scum.

However, all I have on Irony is a feeling, and the multiple stumbles of Mr.Dwarfinton can't be ignored.

On other things:

How many times have you been in a game that lynched a mafioso on D1? [...] we are set up for a mislynch. I'd rather wait until after we get a report on the night actions to start to draw concrete points.
As has been pointed out to you, there have been several games with a scum lynch D1 (Super 5, Cybrid 3, Politibastard, others I don't recall). Plus a no-lynch on day one is a horrible idea, for many reasons. If you are curious, please read this post on the last Roguelike game.

BMC, Hapah, Native: What's with the no voting for most of the day? Being cautious is one thing, but during RVS questions and pressure are applied through votes. Please explain, without saying you were merely cautious.

Imiknorris, Dariush: Please tell me your reads on Native and Hapah.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2012, 05:52:06 pm »

Still at work, will probably be off in....an hour?

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2012, 07:06:55 pm »

Okay, I'll reread now and see what I can come up with.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:52 pm »

Bookthras: I don't believe that a random vote has any real pressure behind it, so I typically don't bother until I have something that I consider solid enough to apply pressure.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »

And I'm back! WALL OF TEXT: ENGAGE. Spoilered the post in sections so that it doesn't eat the entire screen, with no particular divisions. It's not that long, so give it a read!
Spoiler: Part 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Part 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Part 3 (click to show/hide)
And that's that! Day ends soon, but I'll try to check back in. And apologies for not being very active up until now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »

Locking thread for end of day processing.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2012, 11:28:59 pm »

Note:  In the future, please do not vote in spoilers.  I almost missed that one.

Vote Count:

Bookthras: Hapah
Hapah:
Urist Imiknorris: zombie urist
NativeForeigner:
Dariush:
blackmagechill: Urist Imiknorris, Dariush
Scelly9:
Mr. Dwarfinton: Scelly9, IronyOwl, blackmagechill, Bookthras
zombie urist:
IronyOwl: NativeForeigner

Not voting:  Mr. Dwarfinton

There is a heated afternoon of arguing.  At the end, it is clear that most people suspect Mr. Dwarfinton.  He sighs.

“You idiots!” he says, rising to his feet.  “I can’t let you stop me now!  Take this!”  He reaches to his belt, but is interrupted by an expertly tossed stone to the face.  More follow, and soon he moves no more.

A quick look in his cloak shows that he was clearly working for the Guise of the Keeper, despite his occupation of Paladin- it seems he had infiltrated their order.

The feeling in the room is still cold, though- the danger isn’t over yet.

Mr. Dwarfinton has been lynched!  He was a Paladin (Serial Killer).

Night 1 has begun!  Night 1 will last until Thursday, 7/26 at 11 PM EST.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18