Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumping power  (Read 3152 times)

redrowen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pumping power
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:01:50 pm »

Hello all!

Quick question regarding pumping power.

I need to create a stack pump that will reach close to 27 floors deep.  It appears as though a Windmill (40 power) will not be near enough to power this monstrosity.  About 4 floors will be vert axles.

Any suggestions on what I would want to do to handle such a project?  I was thinking maybe I could use a single pump on the top floor with 2 water wheels instead of the Windmill, that may work better?

* Edit: Would it be possible to attach multiple windmills all to the same vert axle (create a huge windmill farm so to speak) that just pumps a ton of power down?

I'm still pretty new to DF, not to sure how to handle this best :P

Any suggestions welcome!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:47:45 pm by redrowen »

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumping power
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:49:16 pm »

Well, screw pumps each require 10 power.  Windmills provide 40 power at most depending on weather conditions on your map, so for a 27-level pump stack windmills are going to be totally impractical.  You'll need to chain at least three water wheels together (they generate 100 power but also consume 10 for a net gain of 90), probably four to be on the safe side since you'll presumably have some axles and gears and whatnot.  Also if this is your first big waterworks project, be sure you save before beginning and periodically throughout.  They can seem simple on paper, but when you get into actually doing it step-by-step you will find there are a million places where you can do something slightly wrong and screw the whole thing up.  Good luck!
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

redrowen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:31:09 pm »

hahah i've done a million things wrong just just figuring out how to properly channel and connect a few vert axles :P 

I am sure i'll have a huge problem doing this but it will be fun!

In regards to stacking waterwheels, can one waterwheel power the one beside it?   For example:

WWWPWWW
WWWPWWW
WWW WWW

?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 03:55:21 pm »

can one waterwheel power the one beside it?
Yes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 03:59:18 pm »

If you have an Aquifer on your map, the easiest solution is to set up a waterwheel farm... use a pump to pump Aquifer water out from under the wheels and spin them, and route some of the power that this generates back around to run the pump. Dwarven perpetual motion.

Like this:

Never pet a burning dog.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 06:14:17 am »

Also don't forget to head to the Wiki and look up Dwarven Water Reactor.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:25:25 am »

Also don't forget to head to the Wiki and look up Dwarven Water Reactor.

I did, as I'm in same situation as OP (only 23 Z levels), and now I'm confused:
Quote from: wiki
Dwarven Water Reactor
(..)
This compact design, once started, produces 170 surplus power
I'm in the middle of building a magma pump and I based my design on this info, but:
Well, screw pumps each require 10 power.  (..)  You'll need to chain at least three water wheels together (they generate 100 power but also consume 10 for a net gain of 90)
The difference 170/2=85 versus 180=2*90 coming from some axles or gear?
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:54:15 am »

2 water wheels produce 100 power each. 2 water wheels drain 10 power each. 1 pump drains 10 power each. The water reactor has 2 water wheels and 1 pump; the water wheels drive the pump (and whatever else you have attached to the reactor), while the pump drives the water wheels. 100+100-10-10-10=170 net power. Without the pump, the water reactor doesn't function.

You could net 180 power from 2 water wheels, but you'd have to do it without (that particular) perpetual-motion setup.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »

I like to use the mini-reactor as a starter system to start larger ones. The hard part is getting water into the mini-reactor, without having it run over, or dry out. Of course it's also a problem with bigger ones, but it tends to be less annoying.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »

That's why I prefer to embed my reactors in an Aquifer layer... you don't need to worry about filling them, or about spills or drying out. The water level is self-adjusting.
Never pet a burning dog.