Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: bogeyman  (Read 5667 times)

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
bogeyman
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »

i dont get it. its like..

"hey do you like adventure mode?! well guess what? now you get to do even less because the moment its dark and your away from civilization you get torn into 30 pieces and most likely used as some sort of demented marital aid!"

is there some way to turn that dude off? so i can do more than wander around the wilderness trying to find a way past a river only to have the sun go down and have to go back to the same hamlet over and over

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
Re: bogeyman
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »

there are two ways

disable night creatures with advanced worldgen for your next world

get a companion

train train train grind grind grind martial trance martial trance martial trance
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

You can also sleep on a beach or on a mountain (during nighttime). If your displayed biome is an ocean or a mountain range (and you're a few tiles into the mountain, to be safe), then bogeymen won't come if you sleep.

You may get ambushed if you sleep on mountains. I've slept on the beach thousands of times and have only been ambushed once by marksdwarf bandits about a year ago, and by night creatures if I sleep on the beach with companions.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:07:42 pm »

You don't need to disable all night creatures for you next world gen, just use the adv. worldgen params and set the bogeyman count to zero. the others can be left alone.

Learning to use the adv. params is invaluable, and you should do so anyway. There's a wiki page and probably quite a few threads here on the forums.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:37 pm »

The best thing about beach ambushes are the sea monsters that beach themselves.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 03:08:18 pm »

But the sea monsters live on land and can fly. Sharks, however, are hilarious. For the bogeys, back off, let them follow you, and when you're fighting one at a time, attack, preferably charging to knock them over, and then back up some more. Repeat until they're dead or sunrise.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 04:14:04 pm »

Be sure your speed rating is at least 1000 before fighting bogeymen- anything less and they WILL catch you and scratch you to death. Drop (or better yet, throw) your backpack full of bodyparts or whatever you are carrying and be sure to remember where it lands so you can get it back

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 05:09:14 pm »

Most of my attempts to fight boogeymen don't go well. But you can just kill them...sometimes you get lucky.

If you're caught in the wilderness alone build a ring of campfires and sleep inside before they come out. (Make the interior bigger than one square so you can move a bit) If they come and wake you up pass the time by throwing rocks at them until morning.

Note: Don't throw things at ones adjacent to the fire wall, sometimes they dodge and end up inside the circle.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:38:41 am »

Actually, I seem to have liitle problems with them, provided I prep first.  Even with a relatively unskilled adventurer I have killed the ambush.  I simply surround myself with fires for the duration of the night if I am not wishing to engage them or fire up the borders of a 4x4 square, leaving one spot 'unfired'.  I instead make a tunnel with it.  I sleep for as long as I can in the center of it.  When they ambush they are unable(typically) to get to me before I wake up.While they work their way to me I throw rocks or w.e. at them, and engage them 1on1 when they come.  If I start to get overwhelmed(because they love kicking, biting, I typically break any grasps by moving away, same with muptiple of them) I move away.  So long as my speed is above ~950 I can usually keep charging them, knocking them over, and out running most of them.

If I get really deperate I start to use trees for fire, first trying to knock them down into it and keeping them there.  The fires forces them to path around it, and provides time to regroup.  If you are too heavy to outrun them, drop some sh-stuff by a tree of landmark.  should still by closeby by dawn...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:07 am »

fun fact: if you charge a boogey who is in front of a campfire and miss it you may end up on the fire.  You may then choose to step off it on the oppisite side.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

weedeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »

1 companion, 1 zombie, or just man up and fight through them. I agree, however, that there should be a more permenant solution in the future. Lamps? Torches? Something like that should be implemented soon. Until then we can just wander blindly.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:00 pm »

If lights are a real option than perhaps they should burn out?   Maybe campfires provide light? 

Light should deter sneaking and/or boogeys.  If every nocturnal thing could see your light...

Also, fire should hurt more...
PKs DF Mod!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 07:46:52 pm »

You don't need to disable all night creatures for you next world gen, just use the adv. worldgen params and set the bogeyman count to zero. the others can be left alone.

Learning to use the adv. params is invaluable, and you should do so anyway. There's a wiki page and probably quite a few threads here on the forums.
Hmm, perhaps Ill have a look at adv mode again. I had absolutely no idea that could be done.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:03 pm »

After getting skills up a bit, bogeyman are not that hard to kill. Run away, so you have to fight only one at a time. Never let one get behind you. Hitting them in the lower body kills them pretty good, I read that somewhere in the forum and it works great.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 01:51:50 pm »

And so it came to be that boogeymen were blotted from existence.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: [1] 2