Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minecart multiple stops?  (Read 3623 times)

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart multiple stops?
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:52:22 am »

Heyho, as the title says, this is about multiple stops on a minecart track.
I searched the internet and wiki and didnt find any source on how to set up a track with multiple stops.

What I'm trying to do in my current fort is a single track, that loads ores, stone and gems into a minecart. Which then drops them off in an ore, stone and gem stockpile after each other. At first, I tried to build it with Track Stops (b-C-S), which were set to dump on arrival, but this would dump all the contents of the minecart, even if I set "kept items". Okay, I do have to try that with a Track Stop which is not set to dump...
Then I removed those Track Stops and set up my route. But now the carts are being pushed past all the designated stops without dropping anything of, except dropping everything into the gem stockpile which still has a Track Stop built next to it.

So I'm asking of anyone has found a tutorialon how to set up routes with more than one stop, or knows how to set this up.

Edit: I mean, I get it to work with 2 stops, that's not the problem. But I cant get it to work, that on the way, some items are being dropped of, while the rest is brought to another stop. so a track with 3 or 4 stops.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:38:53 am by RLPudding »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart multiple stops?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 08:58:19 am »

That's an interesting idea. I don't know if it will work, but you could try this:

1. Open the hauling menu and make a route. Designate stops at your desired locations, you don't have to build them.
2. Set the correct direction at each stop.
3. Set the desired items. That's ore, stone and gems at the first stop, ore at the ore stockpile, stone at the stone stockpile, gems at the gem stockpile.
4. Now, this is the interesting part: set the three stockpile stops to guide the minecarts when empty of desired items. If this works like I think it does, the dwarfs should take only the desired items out of the minecart and send it to the next stop when all of them are taken out.

Let me know if it works or not.
  Trif
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:54:05 am »

i tried your idea, but the dwarves wouldnt move the minecart after the ore stockpile, since there is no task to give the ore to the ore stockpile.

as soon as i choose a stockpile to give to, the option for items change to "set kept items". but the depart condition still sais "empty of desired items". i could change it to "full of..." but after unloading the ore, i dont have a full minecart of stone/gems.
at last i tried, setting stone/gems as "kept items" at the ore stop, "guide when empty of desired items". the dwarves just kept on guiding the cart past the stop without unloading.
i think it would be nice to have an option like "drop 'x-item type' to stockpile #y, then move on".

one workaround might be to have one stockpile somewhere, which accepts ore/stone/gems. and then 3 other tracks, which bring the stuff to the desired location. But I do thin, that Toady wanted tracks to be able to handle more than one stop.

edit: i also tried early to have multiple depart conditions. like, "move on, when there is still sth in the cart" and "move back to the start, when cart is empty" bit it kinda didnt work with the option that are given
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:01:51 am by RLPudding »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:04:02 am »

What you want is to have Stop 1 load stone, gems and ores. Stop two needs a linked stockpile, to Give to, with the desired items you're giving the stockpile. Repeat for additional stops.

If they pushed past, it meant they hadn't loaded any of the items that stop wanted. Ensure it's being Guided, not pushed or ridden, which will send them along past it because those conditions don't respect anything but constructed track stops.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:04:27 am »

Hmm. What if you set a certain time at each stop? The cart can be pushed regardless of how full it is, but it has to stop for two days to let the dwarfs sort out the kept items. Would that work?

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:22:41 am »

What you want is to have Stop 1 load stone, gems and ores. Stop two needs a linked stockpile, to Give to, with the desired items you're giving the stockpile. Repeat for additional stops.

If they pushed past, it meant they hadn't loaded any of the items that stop wanted. Ensure it's being Guided, not pushed or ridden, which will send them along past it because those conditions don't respect anything but constructed track stops.

this is now how i set it up:
Stop1:-Guide west immediately when full of desired items.
-Take from Stockpile #'s ore/stone/gem
-desired items are ore/stone/gems
Stop2:(i first set the direction, then removed the departure condition) - Give (ore) to Stone Stockpile #ore
Stop3: -Give (stone) to Stone Stockpile #stone
Stop4: -Guide South immediately when empty of any items (since it's on a Track Stop that drops all the items)

i dont think this will work, since I dont use any depart conditions in Stop 2 and 3. currently waiting for the result. after that i will try

Hmm. What if you set a certain time at each stop? The cart can be pushed regardless of how full it is, but it has to stop for two days to let the dwarfs sort out the kept items. Would that work?

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:08:52 pm »

result: since the minecart was loaded, it got pushed. stop 1 had a depart condition...
after reaching stop 2 it stopped. I let it sit there for 4 days, and waiting if the dwarves would empty the ore out of it. but they didnt.

next Test:
Stop1: same as above. Take from Stockpile #ore/stone/gem
Stop2: -Guide in 3 days always
-Give (ore) to Stockpile #ore  (well, ore is set in "kept items" no other menu)
Stop3: -Guide in 3 days always
-Give (stone) to Stockpile #stone
Stop4: as above, it just drops everything.

Result: Guided to Stop2. Then the cart stayed there for 4 days without having dropped off anything. neither ore, nor stone. then guided again to Stop3. stayed there for 6 days without dropping anything. dropped everything at stop4, since the stop there is build with the option to drop everything.

next Test:
Stop 1: same as above.
Stop 2: - Guide in 2 days, when empty of desired/kept items. with ore as "kept items".
-Give to Stockpile #ore.
Stop 3: -Guide in 2 days, when empty of desired/keptitems. with stone as "kept items".
-Give to Stockpile #stone
Stop 4: as above

waiting for the result.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:16:00 pm »

Result: cart got pushed to Stop 2 and is still sitting there after 8 days... without having anything taken out of it.

okay, i'm now convinced, that a route with multiple drop off points does not work. or i'm just too stupid.
@Triaxx2: do you have such a route set up in your fort? what are the conditions?

i think an option in the stop menu would be nice, where we could order a specific item type being dropped of.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:16:21 pm »

Maybe the problem is that ore is a kept item, so they keep it in the minecart. Try setting gems and stone as kept items at the ore stockpile (and similarly for the other stockpiles) if the current test doesn't work out.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 12:32:34 pm »

well, the thing is, that "kept item" is not very specific. maybe it means the items which will be kept at the stop.
besides "giveto stockpile" and "take from stockpile", there is also "give/take from stockpile", where the item option sais: "desired/kept items", which makes be believe, that i set there, waht i want to "feed" the stockpile.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:07:58 pm »

I have it set to move at 25, 50, and 75%'s full.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 02:14:24 pm »

doest work.
the cart now doesnt stop and nothing is dropped of.
maybe i have to change the kept items....
but i'm starting to think, that this doesnt work...

or maybe could you provide screenshots, or maybe a save, traixx2... for science!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 05:59:33 am »

Wish I could I lost the fort to an accident involving magma, goblins and some decidedly un-magma safe doors. I'll put together another save and get another route though. Shouldn't take long.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 06:55:33 am »

This should work.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 05:27:14 pm »

well, ok thx!!!
i think i made sth wrong, or the stockpiles were actually full or no workers got to the cart in time. thank you very much for the help
Pages: [1] 2