Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven appartheid  (Read 2487 times)

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven appartheid
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:20:27 am »

Quick question:

If I keep my original 7 dwarves separate from the migrants for all eternity, will they care if everyone else in the fort dies?

Will they marry a migrant they've never seen? Or get pregnant by one?

I want to have an elite core who I keep safe, while exposing the scum migrants to the harsh realities of dwarven life... will this work?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven appartheid
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:21:39 am »

PTW

Maybe.  If there is absolutely no contact.  As in, not even passing acquaintance.  Will you keep the peasants on the surface?  That could work. 

But don't take my word for it. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:38:34 am »

PTW

Had to look that one up.

http://www.abbreviations.com/PTW

How is poisoning the well going to help? :D

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:44:04 am »

If the peasantry all die from their poisoned well there's no way they'll be able to interact with the Seven Founders.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:50:12 am »

Okay, somewhat off topic, but if you really want to make a poison well, I suppose you could build an intermediate chamber like this:

---------<>------
:                     :
:--------<>-----

With the <> being doors.  In the middle of this intermediate room, is a well, laced with forgotten beast poisoning.  That's really as far as I dare go in giving advice.  Get a more experienced to tell you how to actually poison said well.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 06:55:42 am »

Thread about creating a poisoned well for the express purpose of murdering all migrants to preserve the purity of the original dwarves.

Welp, here we go again.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 06:57:10 am »

Maybe.  If there is absolutely no contact.  As in, not even passing acquaintance.  Will you keep the peasants on the surface?  That could work. 

But don't take my word for it.
It does work.
Still have to worry about ghosts though.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 07:09:57 am »

I should clarify that I wasn't planning on murdering the migrants :p Merely keeping them separated from the founders.

Each fort would grow different crops, so to avoid the "cancels store item: stockpile inaccessible" spam. I might make it possible to dump goods from one fort to the other, or use an airlock.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:10:52 am »

I should clarify that I wasn't planning on murdering the migrants :p Merely keeping them separated from the founders.
Mass murder will keep them separated from the founders rather effectively, no?
No Gods, No Masters.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:12:39 am »

Yes but I plan to play in a reanimating biome. While I'm not opposed to sacrificing migrants for science and fun, it does hurt the ol' FPS when they get up and start milling around as zombies.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:13:40 am »

This is exactly why DF needs multi-core support. We never get to do anything fun.
No Gods, No Masters.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 07:21:32 am »

This is exactly why DF needs multi-core support. We never get to do anything fun.

Parallel programming is a huge, huge, huge challenge. Multi-core works great for video encoding, because you can split a movie up into chunks which are entirely independent of each other.

Whilst you *might* be able to move things like the pathfinding algorithms to another core, everything in DF is continually interacting with stuff.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 07:49:06 am »

PTW

Had to look that one up.

http://www.abbreviations.com/PTW

How is poisoning the well going to help? :D

I'm not sure if you're joking or if you really don't know that means "posting to watch".
On topic dwarves usually only get to know each other when they spend time idling near others. And to become married to they have to go through the passing acquaintance -> long-term acquaintance -> friend -> lover -> spouse phases which requires a good bit of time spent together. So if you completely separate them from the start there is a 99% chance (barring historical family members moving into the fort) the original 7 won't care what happens to any low-lifes that move in to mooch of their success.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 08:32:55 am »

If I keep my original 7 dwarves separate from the migrants for all eternity, will they care if everyone else in the fort dies?

no

Now on to the poisoning the well part. Now sure, you may not explicitly want them dead, but would it hurt to at least put some pus in the migrant well?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:45:52 am by Loud Whispers »

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 09:59:12 am »

I'm not sure if you're joking or if you really don't know that means "posting to watch".
On topic dwarves usually only get to know each other when they spend time idling near others. And to become married to they have to go through the passing acquaintance -> long-term acquaintance -> friend -> lover -> spouse phases which requires a good bit of time spent together. So if you completely separate them from the start there is a 99% chance (barring historical family members moving into the fort) the original 7 won't care what happens to any low-lifes that move in to mooch of their success.

I've just googled it, and the only results are from this forum.

What does "posting to watch" mean, exactly?

Drop dead serious, I've never seen anyone say that before.
Pages: [1] 2